PDA

View Full Version : Max Blair and Viper split after ‘22 season

i-pod
10-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Press Release 10/04/2022:

Viper Motorsports and Max Blair to Mutually Split Following 2022 Campaign

At the conclusion of the Case Construction World of Outlaws World Finals at the Dirt Track at Charlotte, team owners Shawn & Lisa Martin and driver Max Blair would both like to announce that they are mutually parting ways following the conclusion of the 2022 racing season. The team has had a successful 2-year stint together, as Max started driving for the (then Pennsylvania – based / now Florida – based) Super Late Model team in 2021 when the pairing won the 2021 United Late Model Series Championship. The Viper Motorsports entry would then jump back to the World of Outlaws full time in 2022 where Max Blair currently sits 3rd in the national points standings with a handful of shows to go, still in the hunt for Rookie of the Year honors and a shot at winning the overall National Championship.

Over the past two seasons, the team has won 25 races together to include the 2021 Keystone Cup at the Beford Speedway, two Case WOO events, one at Cherokee Speedway and the other at Bloomsburg as well as a $10,000 to win non-sanctioned event at the famed West Virginia Motor Speedway. Since May/June 2021, the Viper Motorsports entry, with Max Blair at the helm, has carried a Dirt on Dirt National Top 25 ranking, being as high as 16th and currently in the top 20 in earnings as a team for the 2022 season.

Max and I sat down at Eriez a few weeks ago and we both laid 2023 possible plans out on the table. With the never-ending moving variables of the sport and family obligations for both of us, we just can’t get our racing agendas and personal obligations to overlay to the point where we both can be 100% happy with what we both wanted to do in 2023. We both have enjoyed the last two years racing together and will always be grateful for the friendship that we now have and the opportunity to have raced together. Even with the mutual split, Viper Motorsports is going to continue to support Max Blair’s racing moving forward in some capacity.

Viper Motorsports will be relocating its racing operations at the conclusion of the season to make running the operation more feasible for ownership and more cost effective as a national based team. Those plans to be announced in the immediate future.

I am extremely proud of what this team accomplished over the last two seasons. I have enjoyed racing with Max, Rob and the crew of Tyler, Trae, Ricky and all the others that volunteered to come help when they could. The Blair’s are a wonderful family and we have made some great friends during this journey the last two seasons with them.

As for the balance of 2022, Viper Motorsports and Max Blair have remaining races scheduled:

10/14 – 10/15 @ Portsmouth Raceway
10/21 @ Humboldt Speedway
10/22 @ 81 Speedway
10/23 @ US 36 Speedway
11/2 – 11/05 @ Dirt Track at Charlotte

Thank you to all of the great sponsors and partners that helped make 2022 a success!
Viper Risk Management Group, Base Racing Fuels, ATC Site Construction, Northeast Paving & Sealcoat, David Diesel Service, Bachman Trucking, Creekside Auto Sales, Murphy's Logging, C and J Dairy, Previty's Auto Wrecking, Specialty Products, Neimeyer Garage, NW Bus Service, Chiarelli Paving, Liberty Kenworth, Penske Racing Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, M Teats Transport, Mobile 1, Close Racing Supply, SRI Performance, Strange Axles, XS Power, Brown & Miller Oil Lines, Fast Shafts, Clements Automotive, Jerico Performance Transmissions, FK Rod Ends, Sweet Manufacturing, Wilwood Brake Systems, MWB Graphics, F&W Grafix, DMI / Bulldog Rearends, Rocket Chassis, Beyea Headers, Allstar Performance, Jones Racing Products, Make or Break Apparel, Xtreme Auto Body, Jay's Automotive, Pancho's Racing Products, Swift Springs, Accu-Force, Barnes Oil Pumps, Hoosier Tire

Pennsboro32
10-04-2022, 11:34 AM
Would be a good ride for Tanner.

Rajflyboy
10-04-2022, 12:18 PM
I thought they had a good thing going.

RoadtoPennsboro
10-04-2022, 01:58 PM
Will probably go back to running regionally next year. But I would love to see the Briggs' cut ties with Josh, put all resources into 1 car and have Max run it with WoO.

Rajflyboy
10-04-2022, 02:07 PM
Josh is running better

RoadtoPennsboro
10-04-2022, 02:41 PM
End it after the Finals. It was a good idea. It didn't work.

Tireguy17
10-04-2022, 02:57 PM
"Viper Motorsports will be relocating its racing operations at the conclusion of the season to make running the operation more feasible for ownership and more cost effective as a national based team. Those plans to be announced in the immediate future."

Interesting if this plays into who may be the next driver.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-04-2022, 03:30 PM
I wonder what their expectations were. I think they basically did what was reasonably expected.

Andrews42FAN
10-04-2022, 03:36 PM
For a driver being on the road and seeing many of these tracks for the first time he did very well. He turned in a solid year for the owners and rarely torn up equipment of his own accord. They seem to change drivers like their underwear and are a bit flakey when it comes to longer term commitment. Given a year on the road and the gained experience provided year 2 would have yielded even more improvement/wins. Not sure where the partnership went south, but that ride seems to be a temp position for anyone willing to sit in the seat - regardless of results.

foxfire2dirtracing
10-04-2022, 04:02 PM
Yep! Eckert’s, Lanigan & Blair- maybe Kyle Hardy at one time??

Dlmfan123
10-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Hardy was there for a little bit, only did a couple months of national touring.

Josh Bayko
10-04-2022, 04:45 PM
I don't think Max is built for the national touring life, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a nasty grind and that's not for everybody.

Rajflyboy
10-04-2022, 07:39 PM
For a driver being on the road and seeing many of these tracks for the first time he did very well. He turned in a solid year for the owners and rarely torn up equipment of his own accord. They seem to change drivers like their underwear and are a bit flakey when it comes to longer term commitment. Given a year on the road and the gained experience provided year 2 would have yielded even more improvement/wins. Not sure where the partnership went south, but that ride seems to be a temp position for anyone willing to sit in the seat - regardless of results.I agree. Max was impressive.

Crossbones
10-04-2022, 11:56 PM
Sounded like one side wanted to continue running nationally while other didn't. Sounds like Blair didn't.

Pennsboro32
10-05-2022, 06:58 AM
I wonder what their expectations were. I think they basically did what was reasonably expected.

There are several car owners in the sport who have unreasonable expectations. Viper is one of them.

But also, Max seems like a family man. Can't blame him for wanting to stay around home if that is the case. He'll clean up next season around PA/NY like he always does.

Escobar
10-05-2022, 07:14 AM
There are several car owners in the sport who have unreasonable expectations. Viper is one of them.

But also, Max seems like a family man. Can't blame him for wanting to stay around home if that is the case. He'll clean up next season around PA/NY like he always does.

Correct. It's no coincidence he has a new driver every 1-2 years.

PushinTheLimit
10-05-2022, 08:40 AM
This kind of timeframe seems to be more of the norm for these kind of rides isn't it? I don't quite understand why owners want to change that much when the results from multiple drivers are about the same. Just about the time you get settled in, then things are changing. I know every situation is different, but I just don't get it.

Andrews42FAN
10-05-2022, 09:57 AM
I don't think Max is built for the national touring life, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a nasty grind and that's not for everybody.

Think we will see differently when announcements are made about what's next.

Raceready
10-05-2022, 11:29 AM
This kind of timeframe seems to be more of the norm for these kind of rides isn't it? I don't quite understand why owners want to change that much when the results from multiple drivers are about the same. Just about the time you get settled in, then things are changing. I know every situation is different, but I just don't get it.Some of these teams change drivers like the Cleveland Browns change quarterbacks ! !

Barbecueboy
10-05-2022, 11:55 AM
The win loss record of those teams you’re talking about are about the same as the Browns also.

ZERO25
10-05-2022, 05:24 PM
Is Viper, the Tony Jackson of car owners?

i-pod
10-05-2022, 06:06 PM
Is Viper, the Tony Jackson of car owners?

What’s funny is they helped him out at the beginning of last year.

ZERO25
10-05-2022, 07:31 PM
I just saw where Viper is moving operations to Florida!

Possible teaming up with Augie/Big Frog/Winger???

Josh Bayko
10-05-2022, 08:40 PM
I just saw where Viper is moving operations to Florida!

Possible teaming up with Augie/Big Frog/Winger???

I don’t know if they’d partner, but I could see Viper going for Whitener.

foxfire2dirtracing
10-05-2022, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know what happened with Whitener and Big Frog?

dirtcrazy4u
10-05-2022, 10:45 PM
To say I'm surprised would be an understatement. Max has had a really good year in that car, it sounds to me with the car moving to florida that much travel is not what max wants. It will be interesting to see or hear what plans are for both. Hummm, maybe team viper could have a #20 on the side of the car.

JabberJaws83
10-06-2022, 04:25 AM
There is a national touring driver already located in Florida

foxfire2dirtracing
10-06-2022, 05:19 AM
EPJ- Jacksonville

Oiler
10-06-2022, 01:12 PM
EPJ- Jacksonville Begs the question...would EPJ jump into Viper's XR-1s or would they drop them for Longhorn? Motors are Clements for both current teams.

MacDawg
10-06-2022, 01:27 PM
Per Dirt on Dirt, Tanner English will pilot the Viper Motosports car in 2023.

foxfire2dirtracing
10-06-2022, 01:56 PM
And will be based out of Tanner,s father in law’s shop (Rodney Melvin) In Illinois until Tanner finishes construction of his shop.
Definitely not in Florida as previously posted.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Begs the question...would EPJ jump into Viper's XR-1s or would they drop them for Longhorn? Motors are Clements for both current teams.

Pretty sure they gonna run Longhorns with Tanner.

Pennsboro32
10-06-2022, 05:12 PM
Sideways move? Is Tanner better than Max? I’d say they’re about even.

foxfire2dirtracing
10-06-2022, 05:20 PM
How long will this pairing last?

dirtcrazy4u
10-06-2022, 07:42 PM
What's Tanner English done ?

Jb1390
10-07-2022, 11:12 AM
How long will this pairing last?Depends on how much winning and if Tanner is willing to do whatever the car owner wants to do. If Viper is paying the bills then he decides what products are ultimately on the car and what tracks it will stop at. Long as Tanner produces good results and can handle changing his plans around what the car owner wants at that point in time then it can last for awhile.

BTExpress
10-07-2022, 11:52 AM
"Pretty sure they gonna run Longhorns with Tanner."

Are you sure about that or is that wishful thinking? Viper has been a Rocket loyalist since they got into DLM racing, and I believe Tanner has run Rockets in the past...They have been pretty successful in them too. How did it work out for Kyle Strickler when he made the PCC change chassis. It takes a ton of capital to make a chassis switch.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-07-2022, 12:02 PM

Are you sure about that or is that wishful thinking? Viper has been a Rocket loyalist since they got into DLM racing, and I believe Tanner has run Rockets in the past...They have been pretty successful in them too. How did it work out for Kyle Strickler when he made the PCC change chassis. It takes a ton of capital to make a chassis switch.

Most top teams turn their cars over pretty regularly. When they do, a chassis change is no big deal. Tanner has been in a Horn a lot lately, and I may have heard something...

Additionally "details on equipment coming soon" isn't necessary if it's more of the same.

billetbirdcage
10-07-2022, 12:09 PM

The plan is to use longhorns unless something changes that.

Dlmfan123
10-07-2022, 12:47 PM
"Pretty sure they gonna run Longhorns with Tanner."Are you sure about that or is that wishful thinking? Viper has been a Rocket loyalist since they got into DLM racing, and I believe Tanner has run Rockets in the past...They have been pretty successful in them too. How did it work out for Kyle Strickler when he made the PCC change chassis. It takes a ton of capital to make a chassis switch.I’m not sure about that, they spent a few years with Barry wright too

Highside Hustler25
10-07-2022, 02:47 PM
Can't speak for Max but Tanner is really good at taking care of his equipment. That usually comes with someone who has to make the repairs. If I remember correctly, Tanner was at Rocket this past spring and assembled a new car. I would expect the decision is up to the owner and rightfully so.

Andrews42FAN
10-08-2022, 08:12 AM
Can't speak for Max but Tanner is really good at taking care of his equipment. That usually comes with someone who has to make the repairs. If I remember correctly, Tanner was at Rocket this past spring and assembled a new car. I would expect the decision is up to the owner and rightfully so.

Max Blair is excellent taking care of the car and not tearing up equipment as has been the case with his time at Viper. Up until his stint at Viper, his whole racing life he and his father have owned and operated their own program so as an owner/operator he knows the cost of equipment and how to take care of it.