PDA

View Full Version : Ice Bowl

4wide
12-29-2022, 09:01 AM
Weather looking great right now may be record turnout.

Black F
12-29-2022, 10:15 AM
Is this a late model event?

HoosierDirtFan
12-29-2022, 12:38 PM
Is this a late model event?

Super Late Models
Crate Racin’ USA 604 Late Models
TST Sportsman / Limited Late Models
Crate Racin’ USA Street Stocks
Crate Racin’ USA 602 Sportsman
Crate Racin’ USA Modified Sportsman
Factory Stocks / Pure Stocks
Hot Shots / Buzz
Mini Stocks / Southern Mod 4

dirtcrazy4u
12-29-2022, 06:58 PM
9 classes, shoot me now.

BTExpress
12-29-2022, 07:02 PM
"9 classes, shoot me now"

Ha ha, thought the same thing!

Dirt Clod
12-29-2022, 09:02 PM
Saw this on a recap of the 2022 Ice Bowl. Imagine sitting through qualifying. Brutal.

Single-car or small-group qualifying is one of this facets of a racing program that I absolutely love. It’s a great teaser… for the headline class. But Talladega Short Track opting to qualify all 351 cars on the property Friday for Ice Bowl prelims, only to run heat races for all of the classes anyhow, is absolute overkill, especially for a Friday qualifying day. Of course, 351 cars showed up for a Friday qualifying day, so what do I know

Wells Racing Photos
12-30-2022, 08:11 AM
I think this is one of those "event" races that most people don't understand. This event was always the "winter" race when nothing else was going on. Since we don't have an offseason anymore, people don't think much of it, but it's one of my favorites. Except for two years ago when it was snowing, 20MPH winds, and 30 degrees during qualifying. It's the only time I've ever left early from an event before the supers were done for the day.

stock car driver
12-30-2022, 12:11 PM
I think this is one of those "event" races that most people don't understand. This event was always the "winter" race when nothing else was going on. Since we don't have an offseason anymore, people don't think much of it, but it's one of my favorites. Except for two years ago when it was snowing, 20MPH winds, and 30 degrees during qualifying. It's the only time I've ever left early from an event before the supers were done for the day.

I had a great time when I went there and won the street stock race in 2010 or 2011 from Iowa. The little kid I gave that huge trophy with a real silver bowl on top should be in his 20s now! Of course it was late nights but what else do you expect first week in Jan.

4wide
01-04-2023, 10:22 AM
Anyone know what supers might show up.

HoosierDirtFan
01-04-2023, 10:25 AM
I've heard
Michael Page
Cory Hedgec0ck

Don't know what other supers are going but the team I'm with running the 604 crate division are leaving tonight and will be there tomorrow morning for practice.

Wells Racing Photos
01-04-2023, 01:18 PM
I'd guess Sam Seawright will be there.

Buford.Justice
01-04-2023, 01:51 PM
Is there any class not running???? :)

Sounds like the track is going to get a real workout!

Great weather to get out and smell the racing exhaust!!

Wells Racing Photos
01-05-2023, 05:44 PM
Some of the guys that have time laps so far today according to MyRacePass are:

Christian Hanger
JT Seawright
Dalton Cook
Jason Hiett
Todd Morrow
Blake Craft
Chase Oliver
Jordy Nipper

Black F
01-05-2023, 05:51 PM
Is there any class not running???? :)

Sounds like the track is going to get a real workout!

Great weather to get out and smell the racing exhaust!!

maybe they'll have enough water trucks to have them race to? sounds like they're gonna need 'em!

Barbecueboy
01-05-2023, 06:03 PM
Some of the guys that have time laps so far today according to MyRacePass are:

Christian Hanger
JT Seawright
Dalton Cook
Jason Hiett
Todd Morrow
Blake Craft
Chase Oliver
Jordy Nipper

Cool to see concrete Mike on jordy nippers car, hope he has a good run in the ice bowl.

3 wide
01-05-2023, 06:41 PM
"9 classes, shoot me now"Ha ha, thought the same thing!They haven't figured out how to run half the classes one day and the other half the next

champion24
01-06-2023, 11:28 AM
A little lunch time racing on a Friday on Flo isn't bad, but wish they were heat racing instead! At-a-boys for the folks sitting in the stands! How many supers & total cars?

4wide
01-06-2023, 11:53 AM
32 supers about 370 total cars

Buford.Justice
01-06-2023, 01:40 PM
maybe they'll have enough water trucks to have them race to? sounds like they're gonna need 'em!

Ten laps of "Wide Open" water valves that is, racing!!!!!

MRM
01-06-2023, 02:09 PM
Hedgec0ck running crates. And I didn't think Page would show since his DQ from last year's race and vowing he'd never run in another Tilley race.

MRM
01-06-2023, 02:11 PM
They haven't figured out how to run half the classes one day and the other half the next

They know that. But you get more money through the back gate if you make 370 cars buy pit passes for 2 days instead of getting 185 on the first day and 185 the second day.

Raceready
01-06-2023, 05:45 PM
Ten laps of "Wide Open" water valves that is, racing!!!!!Water the track " PLEEEEZE " ! ! !

Black F
01-06-2023, 05:52 PM
Ten laps of "Wide Open" water valves that is, racing!!!!!

Kill two birds!

ftfiowa
01-06-2023, 09:41 PM
what a s%&t show today, i had to turn it off. watching practice from Vado now

dirtcrazy4u
01-07-2023, 05:21 AM
When is the place not a cluster f*ck, cr*p show ? Time after time they put this out there and time after time they get hundreds of cars. If you don't believe this is a back gate deal, then I have ocean front properties to sale you by Vado in Arizona.

over4T
01-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Attempted to watch some of it on FLO last night and every time I looked classes I don't care a lick about were on. Finally checked back at the end of it for the replays and all I found was the whole program that ran over 9 hours. Sorry but that's waaay beyond how long I'll sit to watch anything.

Went out in the shop and built a new exhaust system for one of our cars, rebuilt a carb and still had hours to burn on something more usefull.

gorj
01-07-2023, 10:37 AM
It’s a good day when dirt racing begins at 11am.

gorj
01-07-2023, 12:35 PM
Great to hear late model Mark do a shout-out to D Glen.

Black F
01-07-2023, 12:58 PM
Great to hear late model Mark do a shout-out to D Glen.

D Glen is one of the faces on Mt. 4m Rushmore, ain't he?

gorj
01-07-2023, 02:34 PM
D Glen is one of the faces on Mt. 4m Rushmore, ain't he?

Lol, he could certainly be one of the four faces on 4m Rushmore.

zach51
01-07-2023, 03:16 PM
You same bunch of morons B!tch about this every year (that it doesn't get snowed out). And you are also the same bunch of morons that B!tch about EAMS and the National 100 every year. It is what it is. It's cooler out, it's a day race, it's a bunch of classes.

Tune in next year. Guess what, it will be the same again!

dirtcrazy4u
01-07-2023, 03:29 PM
Hey zach, did you go ? Or have you gone ?

nc mudcat
01-07-2023, 05:14 PM
Good to see Ray Cook in victory lane.

Mike Honcho
01-07-2023, 05:15 PM
Good to see Ray Cook in victory lane.

Awesome, good to see Ray with the win

nc mudcat
01-07-2023, 06:07 PM
He had some luck with others having flat tires, but was fast and passed quite a few cars on the outside. Good job Ray! The old paint scheme looked good!

dirt farmer
01-07-2023, 08:02 PM
Did drivers use a different compound this year ?I ve been to a lot of races down here an not seen that many flats.

HoosierDirtFan
01-08-2023, 03:20 AM
First Ice Bowl.
Pretty cool event
Our luck was pretty good for only the 2nd race in a 604 crate. Hauled 11 hours from northwest Indiana just to race. Made the feature and stared 25th and finished 19th. Folks there were super cool and very nice and helpful if you had questions. Ran Hoosier stamped Crate Racin’ USA 21’s on all for corners and still looked decent after the race. The entire race weekend was basically survival and staying clean and clear or others mistakes and wrecks for a lot of the teams there.

377 total races cars there.

East Bay in two weeks.

d-glenn
01-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the good comments.

I keep reading the good and bad about the ICE BOWL, but if you have never been, you need to make it one time, just bring a larger cooler. lol...

Hope to see everyone at East Bay.

Dirt Clod
01-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Thankfully they moved to Saturday night. Beat the rain today.

84wedge
01-08-2023, 12:01 PM
You same bunch of morons B!tch about this every year (that it doesn't get snowed out). And you are also the same bunch of morons that B!tch about EAMS and the National 100 every year. It is what it is. It's cooler out, it's a day race, it's a bunch of classes. Tune in next year. Guess what, it will be the same again!You and bleedblue should get together and complain about 4m while knitting

Barbecueboy
01-08-2023, 12:06 PM
Car looks good, glad you made the trip down there.

fastford
01-08-2023, 05:23 PM
I have been going to the Ice bowl since 1996 , all around this was the best feature day I have attended , now I agree with zach on people b!thcin , even though I b!tch about east alabama from time to time , I have a reason to , most of these whinners have never raced at the Ice Bowl , or even been there for that matter , and the ones that have , know what there in for before they go and should stay at home and watch foot ball or some thing , rant over.....BTW great job to every one involved , I give this year an A , maybe next year will be an A+ one .......

Barbecueboy
01-08-2023, 05:33 PM
Place was packed….I don’t think the folks that are running the place see that as a problem.

I enjoyed a whole bunch of it, very entertaining….love the Ironman sign off after the front stretch interview.

HoosierDirtFan
01-08-2023, 06:22 PM
Car looks good, glad you made the trip down there.

Thanks.
It was a fun weekend for us. We know we built the car to be on the free side and the setup is basically what Tader Masters told us to try and it's fast. Driver just needs more seat time. The folks at Mastersbilt have been absolutely awesome to deal with and very helpful with any questions. Car is an Mastersbilt copy. Almost a guarantee better driver with more seat time in a crate like a Strickler, Madden, ect... would have been up front in the CRUSA 604 Late Modl race. Going to be at East Bay in a few weeks for that race weekend.

fastford
01-09-2023, 08:36 PM
Thanks.
It was a fun weekend for us. We know we built the car to be on the free side and the setup is basically what Tader Masters told us to try and it's fast. Driver just needs more seat time. The folks at Mastersbilt have been absolutely awesome to deal with and very helpful with any questions. Car is an Mastersbilt copy. Almost a guarantee better driver with more seat time in a crate like a Strickler, Madden, ect... would have been up front in the CRUSA 604 Late Modl race. Going to be at East Bay in a few weeks for that race weekend.

man , I wish I could persuade you to come by and pick me up my friend , but finally finishing this dad gum house...lol....I hope yall have a great time , maybe next year ......