PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Vittles

Barbecueboy
12-29-2022, 04:05 PM
We have certain things we eat as traditions or tied to special days or celebrations during the year( july4 burgers and dogs,Easter dinner Ham,Grandmas Sunday chicken etc)

New Year’s Day is one of my favorites just because of the food combination and it’s supposed meaning ….pork of some kind(normally ribs and shoulders),hoppin Jon (rice,blackeye peas and peppers made like a pilaf) and stir fried collard greens…….the tale is the hoppin John is for good luck and the greens are supposed to bring you money the following year.
Cornbread and Biscuits to soak up the plate drippins btw.

New Year’s Eve we normally do pasta of some sort, this year it’s seafood scampi.

Y’all got anything, it’s always interesting to see how the different people from different regions celebrate occasions.

Barbecueboy
12-29-2022, 04:11 PM
Whoops, I pulled a cw and posted new thread in wrong section…..open this up to track food traditions also…….one of my favorite traditions is my friends mom sends us packin with a skillet full of chicken bog, pintos and dumplins and some awesome fried chicken.every time we head south for soeedweeks.

Whatcha got?

Josh Bayko
12-29-2022, 04:26 PM
For Christmas, we do smoked brisket and some kind of poultry too. Sides slide towards BBQ style due to the main course.

For NYE, we usually do seated ribeye, baked potatoes, and steamed broccoli/asparagus/edamame.

For NYD, kielbasa/hot dogs, sauerkraut, masked potatoes, green beans.

Various forms of alcohol throughout, depending on what everybody that comes wants. I’m a bourbon/stout beer guy myself.

Buford.Justice
12-29-2022, 04:34 PM
That's okay BBQ, only CW can get in trouble for that!:)

Oiler
12-29-2022, 05:29 PM
Smoked two turkeys over hickory and oak with a bourbon butter mop for Thanksgiving.

Was forced indoors for Christmas as it was minus something out of doors.

New Year's as of an hour ago will be grilled oysters, Eastern Shore pit beef, Smith Island cake and a mighty blast of booze.

Barbecueboy
12-29-2022, 05:56 PM
I had to look up smith island cake……that thing would get destroyed in my house, looks awesome

We have a local lady that does something similar with coconut…..a bunch of thin cakes layered with some kind of ridiculous coconut cream frosting all in between…..it gets wiped out every holiday.

These threads turn out kinda cool every now and then, thanks for sharing.

Barbecueboy
12-29-2022, 06:07 PM
We grew up doing sloppy joes on Halloween night just because we liked to get our kids fed a quick meal before they ran out to trick or treat in the neighborhood……

Even though the kids are grown,gone and quit trick or treating years ago my bride and I always end up making them anyway on Halloween……..she changed it up a few years ago and instead of the normal sloppy Joe red sauce she made them with burger, onion,water chestnuts and a thickened terryaki sauce for more of an Asian flavor joe. It’s a keeper, tasted great.

Barbecueboy
12-29-2022, 06:10 PM
Not “ we” grew up…..our kids grew up eating them.

Hell when we grew up my folks told us to get lost for the night and that they better not get a call from the dam police ,lol.

dirtcrazy4u
12-29-2022, 06:49 PM
Bayko you hit the nail on the head for nyd. Kraut, dogs, kielbasa and whatever else I can find. Slow cooked in home made Kraut with 2 large sweet onions. 18 people coming over, I'll be slow cooking pds of meats. Can't wait.

Highside Hustler25
12-29-2022, 07:33 PM
Long time tradition NY day. Pig tails/sour kraut and mashed taters.

Barbecueboy
12-29-2022, 08:00 PM
I like kraut & kielbasa every now and again……i hit those collards we eat with a bunch of vinegar and peppers anyway, so it’s a southern kinda kollard kraut anyway I guess?

Raceready
12-29-2022, 08:06 PM
Bayko you hit the nail on the head for nyd. Kraut, dogs, kielbasa and whatever else I can find. Slow cooked in home made Kraut with 2 large sweet onions. 18 people coming over, I'll be slow cooking pds of meats. Can't wait.Love it that way ! The wife makes her kraut with pork.

cmmg42
12-29-2022, 08:25 PM
Beef stroganoff

1 lb stew meat
1pkg. French onion mix
2 cans golden mushroom soup
1 cup beef broth
1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
Cook in the slow cooker for 8 hours
Before serving:
Add 8 oz. Cream cheese
Dallop of sour cream
Serve over egg noodles
Enjoy!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
12-29-2022, 08:39 PM
I like to steam a live lobster tail and cook a NY strip or T-BONE steak. Bake potato and whatever else I'm in mood for.

One Man Gang
12-29-2022, 11:38 PM
Hog jowl, black eyed peas, fried cabbage, Mac & cheese and a dessert usually pecan or lemon ice box pie on NYD.

Raceready
12-30-2022, 12:56 AM
Of coursi'n that there sourkraut courses right on thru me ! I might end up having the diareee for nigh onto 3 day ! !

Black F
12-30-2022, 05:53 AM
P i z z a !

Josh Bayko
12-30-2022, 07:09 AM
P i z z a !

You laugh, but the next time my wife is on call for Christmas we’re doing pizza and Chinese.

Yes, I do most of the cooking in his house, but wifey holds down some of the sides and most of the hospitality.

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 07:36 AM
Christmas morning tradition……..normally country ham and biscuits with red eye gravy.

If we are lucky there is always a little egg nog leftover from the night before and my wife will make us waffles using it instead of the milk……hit it with warm apple butter and powdered sugar.( it’s kind of strange sounding but is dam good)

Tarheelsc
12-30-2022, 09:01 AM
My family tradition here in the Carolinas on New Years Day is pork (either pork chops or BBQ), fried fatback, collard greens as they are supposed to bring you greenbacks, black eyed peas for change (coins), and blackberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream for good luck. For Christmas, its orange rolls for breakfast (used to be Pillsbury, but my daughter makes them from scratch now), multiple soups and poor boy sandwiches for lunch at my Aunt's. I am responsible for butterscotch haystacks and chocolate peanut butter balls for the Holidays. Thanksgiving is traditional with a big table of food, but my mom's cornbread dressing, cream corn, and fried okra are my favorites. At the race track, fried bologna sandwiches are a race track tradition for me and my daughter.

over4T
12-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Mexican fellow that worked for me near 20 years told me his New Year's Day tradition was Menudo, the Mexican tripe soup that they swear kills hangovers. Tried it once or twice and couldn't get it down but then I never spent New Year's Eve with Too-kill-ya like Manuel did.

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 09:58 AM
Man I miss my grandmother’s creamed corn……that was always one of the holiday meal staples when we went down to Jacksonville for the holidays, her oyster stuffing is something else I miss from those times.

Good stuff everyone, thanks for sharing.

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 10:07 AM
Mexican fellow that worked for me near 20 years told me his New Year's Day tradition was Menudo, the Mexican tripe soup that they swear kills hangovers. Tried it once or twice and couldn't get it down but then I never spent New Year's Eve with Too-kill-ya like Manuel did.

I tried the can version and felt the same way…….Fred Sanford and Rallo had an episode or two that talked about menudo, I guess I tried it just because of that memory.

Wish I wouldn’t have……I have a great friend that tells me cow tongue tacos are awesome too, I haven’t made it that far yet.

IL LM Fan
12-30-2022, 10:14 AM
We always did the Whole Turkey deal at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Halloween not really anything but candy. New Years Eve always had Ruffles and dip around, and New Years Day pig out on boiled Jumbo Shrimp.

B_K
12-30-2022, 12:38 PM
This NYE we just going to feast on Buckeyes….😉.

Go Dawgs and Happy New Year.

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 12:52 PM
That’s just the appetizer for the dawgs……I’d like to see them hang about 60 points on the bucks.

Buford.Justice
12-30-2022, 02:34 PM
Could any of you good people adopt me for a week?? I need to catch up on some real good eatins!!!!

https://usagif.com/wp-content/uploads/gifs/hungry-9.gif
https://usagif.com/wp-content/uploads/gifs/hungry-12.gif

JimBo
12-30-2022, 02:42 PM
New Year's Day is always black eye peas with smocked ham hocks and jalapeño corn muffins. It's supposed to bring good luck for the year.

Grilled hot dogs and burgers for Independence Day.

Thanksgiving is Grandma's baked turkey, with stuffing, smoked ham, green bean casserole, scalloped potatoes, yeast rolls, Asparagus with coconut meringue and pumpkin pie for desert.

Christmas is homemade lasagna because everybody is tired of eating leftover turkey.

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 02:53 PM
Could any of you good people adopt me for a week?? I need to catch up on some real good eatins!!!!

https://usagif.com/wp-content/uploads/gifs/hungry-9.gif
https://usagif.com/wp-content/uploads/gifs/hungry-12.gif

Always welcome at our table or tailgate CW……Let me know when you’re heading south.

B_K
12-30-2022, 03:22 PM
BBQ, in all honesty I just hope we win. We match up well with Michigan or TCU. Ohio St does some things well that we struggle with from time to time.

Back on topic.
Gotta have some greens and black eyed peas on New Year’s Day

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 03:35 PM
Me too brother me too…….we have some obnoxious Buckeye fans in the neighborhood, they would probably paint their house scarlet and grey , oh wait, they already did that.

Speaking of dawgs…. Split dog, insert cheddar, wrap with bacon and bake until bacon is crispy….that’s a dawg.

ZERO25
12-30-2022, 04:29 PM
Man I miss my grandmother’s creamed corn……that was always one of the holiday meal staples when we went down to Jacksonville for the holidays, her oyster stuffing is something else I miss from those times.

Good stuff everyone, thanks for sharing.

Do we have the same granny? lol
Honestly, she could cook this keyboard and it would be to die for. the best country cook i have ever known!

Christmas Eve tradition with about 40 church friends and family.......we have a southern breakfast buffet, complete with a chef who makes individual omelets. Sides such as country grits, pork and deer sausage, 3/8 inch thick cut bacon, fried chunked venison backstrap, and many desserts inc 7 layer choc cake!

Christmas......I prefer ham over turkey, baked mac n cheese (the best youll ever eat), potato salad, lima beans and rice, and squash caserole. Satin choc pie, homemade fudge, and various cookies!

New Years.....fried pork chops, black-eyed peas and rice, collard or mustard greens. Left over desserts from Christmas!

Oiler
12-30-2022, 04:36 PM
Glad to see a few folks putting Hoppin’ John on their tables.

Christmas Day prime rib had to be cooked indoors this year due to it being colder than a witch’s t!t. Usually smoked it in barrel or grill it over hickory. Just not the same in the oven but still tasty.

Buford.Justice
12-30-2022, 05:07 PM
BBQ I have no doubt you would. It's the thought that counts. My race traveling has been on hold for a while. My racing buddy of 40 years is no longer with us.

Black F
12-30-2022, 05:29 PM
BBQ , My racing buddy of 40 years is no longer with us.

My condolences! Its tough when your best buddy is gone.

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 07:03 PM
BBQ I have no doubt you would. It's the thought that counts. My race traveling has been on hold for a while. My racing buddy of 40 years is no longer with us.

Condolences sir, I’ll save you a couple bowls of chicken bog and snap beans.

Barbecueboy
12-30-2022, 07:06 PM
Dam Zero, if we don’t have the same grandmas they were probably neighbors……your grandma happen to live on spring glen and shop at skinners dairy mart per chance?

Love the breakfast buffet Idea……

ZERO25
12-31-2022, 10:06 AM
Nope, that would be too cityfied for my redneck family! lol

They lived out in the far westside of the county, out in the woods!

You know youre country when you shoot a mess of squirrels in the morning, and your granny cooks them for breakfast with eggs and grits! lol

Barbecueboy
12-31-2022, 10:49 AM
Jacksonville is an awesome city, it’s got a little bit of everything….

Black F
01-01-2023, 11:46 AM
Let's get ta EATIN'!!

PIZZA!!!

Barbecueboy
01-03-2023, 06:13 PM
we added fried pork to news years day menu, used up some boneless country style ribs we had in the freezer and cut them into chunks , breaded and fried them up in the fry daddy.
We haven’t been eating a lot of fried foods in general, but dam those were good. While the oil was going I made hush puppies instead of the normal skillet cornbread my wife makes. Worked out pretty good and she was happy not having to fool with the cornbread this year …..I could see those pork chunks and hush puppies going great at a racetrack tailgate ,hope everyone got to eat well with family and friends and has a happy new year.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-03-2023, 06:30 PM
BBQ
Curious as to your hush puppy recipe??

Barbecueboy
01-03-2023, 07:34 PM
1 1/2 cup flour and same amount corn meal……house autry,moss or any good local yellow corn meal.
1 cup buttermilk ( 1 cup thinned out onion dip works too)
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Onion powder tsp or to taste
Paprika same
Salt and pepper same
1/2 stick cold butter chopped up( oil or lard works for the masses.)
A splash or two of beer
Makes 20/25 golf ball size hush puppies

This is our basic recipe but have added onion, cheese, corn ,jalapeños etc for different types and different occasions……cut this recipe in half and add a lb of crabmeat to it and make some crab pups, hide those for yourself.

Barbecueboy
01-03-2023, 07:39 PM
I use the beer to get the final consistency we like, a splash or two is about a half a beer or so normally for this qty.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-03-2023, 08:03 PM
Thanks Pal- nothing better than a good puppy!

Barbecueboy
01-03-2023, 08:15 PM
What bout you guys? Got anything different or better out that way?we are always up for hearing about stuff outside our region.

HIGH ROLLER
01-03-2023, 09:47 PM
On 4m seasoned crow seems to be popular. JS

Buford.Justice
01-04-2023, 01:57 PM
BBQ, 4M's Official Head Cook!!!! Head Chef??? Which sounds better?

foxfire2dirtracing
01-04-2023, 02:01 PM
There’s no doubt BBQ knows his stuff when it comes to rustling up some great grub!
My hats off to him!!!

Black F
01-04-2023, 02:21 PM
BBQ, 4M's Official Head Cook!!!! Head Chef??? Which sounds better?

Cook, Chef... If he's half as good as he has appeared to be over ths years here on ole planet 4m, does matter?

Barbecueboy
01-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Cook or chef, minimal professional training and lots of observations and trial and error…..I come from a family of great cooks throughout and just watched a lot growing up. Once I got older and could afford to travel a little bit I always sought out regional specialties wherever we went and then would bring that idea home and southernize them some kind of way.
We make Italian wedding soup but use seafood and collards instead of veal and spinach like most recipes call for, classic crab cakes Maryland style but stuff them into onion rings, stuff like that……as a kid I used to like to take stuff apart and see how it worked and then try to put it back together…….as I grew older and found myself cooking a lot I would do the same with food.
Sometimes it goes back together like it should, sometimes it’s better, sometimes not so much…. Thanks for the compliment guys but we just like to eat well, have traveled to some great culinary destinations immersed and observed , aren’t afraid of much and I have a lot of friends that have let us use them as test dummies over the years.

I’m always looking for cool regional ideas, old regional cookbooks and local dives when we travel…..

Barbecueboy
01-04-2023, 05:04 PM
There are a ton of great cooks out there with some very creative ideas on stuff that they don’t even know are great or creative because it’s just what they grew up doing or watching others do……I ran across a poster on another racing forum that would talk about and post he and his wife’s food/travels/parties/race weekends etc.
He would talk about progressive dinners done with his son and wife while traveling to Peru and other cool exotic spots, I would chime in with something goofy like smoked bologna sandwiches at screven or some crazy soup we made to stay warm at golden isles but we always found common ground somewhere in all that because we enjoyed racing and we enjoyed good tasting food……it was cool.

One Man Gang
01-04-2023, 08:14 PM
BBQ, you ever make any squash balls ? Take your basic hush puppy recipe there but just add some grated or chopped yellow squash or you can make em into patties whichever way you prefer.

dirtcrazy4u
01-05-2023, 05:34 AM
BBQ, I added country ribs in my slow cooker this year for the 19 people I had come over for new years day. All I can tell you is I better get more for next year. Everybody was digging around in the slow cooker looking for more.

Barbecueboy
01-05-2023, 07:38 AM
BBQ, you ever make any squash balls ? Take your basic hush puppy recipe there but just add some grated or chopped yellow squash or you can make em into patties whichever way you prefer.

I’ve never made them but have eaten them….they were done more like fritters when I ate them. We like squash in general. We steam it with salt,Pepper onions and butter………always save and freeze the broth, it makes for a great addition to stuff you use broth for.
Anytime someone in our house is sick, or has sore scratchy throat etc. we break it out instead of chicken or beef broth. The butter in the broth has a great effect helping with the cough etc……and it taste pretty good.

Barbecueboy
01-05-2023, 07:42 AM
BBQ, I added country ribs in my slow cooker this year for the 19 people I had come over for new years day. All I can tell you is I better get more for next year. Everybody was digging around in the slow cooker looking for more.

Our slow cooker gets a workout, I’ll bet yours looked like a crime scene after that,lol.

dirtcrazy4u
01-06-2023, 05:19 AM
Yea, the wife said you do know your clening this mess, lol. On to 2023, let's all hope for a better year :)

Barbecueboy
01-07-2023, 07:15 PM
We get a frozen turkey Breast(7/8 lbs) and stick it in the slow cooker with 1/2 stick of butter and salt and pepper…….stick it in frozen solid on low before bedtime and it’s floating in it’s own juices when you wake up.
Debone it , shred it and throw it back in its own juices……over mashed potatoes or rice with some green beans and cornbread make for a killer cheap and easy way to feed a crowd. Race track friendly

ZERO25
01-11-2023, 05:41 PM
Nothing new vittle wise, but at a Christmas party, one brought a charcuterie board. I took a cracker, put a piece of good pepperjack cheese, a piece of deer sausage, and topped it off with hot honey! I almost ate all of the deer sausage, lol!

Raceready
01-11-2023, 07:34 PM
On 4m seasoned crow seems to be popular. JSEspecially among the Rocket contingent for another year ? ?

Barbecueboy
01-11-2023, 09:22 PM
Nothing new vittle wise, but at a Christmas party, one brought a charcuterie board. I took a cracker, put a piece of good pepperjack cheese, a piece of deer sausage, and topped it off with hot honey! I almost ate all of the deer sausage, lol!

I can honestly say ( and I’m not real sure how because I love it) ,I’ve never seen or made a board with deer sausage on it……..gonna have to do that one.

Never thought of hot honey on something like that either……doing it too, lol.

Thanks, zero

Barbecueboy
01-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Tried a replica of something we’ve made scratch but didn’t feel like it tonight…..those crabcake stuffed onion rings.
Normally it’s our crab cake recipe stuffed inside of a raw onion ring, battered in buttermilk and flour and deep fried. Tonight it was Nathan’s pre made onion rings,Phillips pre made crabcake thawed and stuffed inside the onion ring( place in your hand and flatten it in with your other inside the frozen onion ring) and cooked in the air fryer…..the sauce was mayo,bacon and banana peppers in the blender.

Fresh is always better, this is better in 15 minutes.

One Man Gang
01-15-2023, 06:33 PM
That dang hot honey is good with about anything I’ve almost become addicted to it

Raceready
01-15-2023, 06:40 PM
I'm more of a conasewer than a cook ! !

Barbecueboy
04-17-2023, 06:25 PM
Finally got to do a meal at the track for some guys we help this past weekend.,….smoked chicken thighs shredded and put back in their own juice…..steamed.chunked potatoes,carrots/onions and celery..…fried cabbage and sticky white rice for after race dinner.

We had a pan of brisket burnt ends in Sonny’s sauce in the freezer from a cook a while back so threw it in the smoker with the chicken and brought it for snacks ……fed about 15 including some neighbors around us.

We cooked the cabbage and the rice at the track , but all the rest was cooked at home and we panned it up, stuffed it in a clean yeti with no ice and it stayed about as hot as it was when I put it in there when we ate about 6/7 hrs later……highly recommend that method if your feeding a crowd and you don’t want to fool with cooking a bunch at the track.

What did y’all do at the track for food this weekend?