PDA

View Full Version : Golden Isles

4wide
01-23-2023, 05:48 AM
Making my first trip to track how good of race track is it.

Switchback29A1
01-23-2023, 06:28 PM
All depends on how far they have the infield pushed out

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-23-2023, 06:52 PM
Making my first trip to track how good of race track is it.

It's average. Can be good or bad.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-23-2023, 07:10 PM
4Wide
If you get a chance: check out Jay’s Original Chicken/Fish in Brunswick. Located just east of I-95 next to Comfort Inn. It’s in an old Huddle House building- nothing fancy as far as atmosphere- just awesome food. We will probably eat there all 3 days this Weekend. ( maybe even Sunday before heading to Bubbas)

ZERO25
01-23-2023, 07:17 PM
It's average. Can be good or bad.

Hopefully, Uncle Grady will have it right this weekend!

zyoung25
01-23-2023, 07:20 PM
I went in 2017, and enjoyed it. The hospitality is like no other track I've been too. We were offered full plates of food by other fans that were grilling just by walking through the pit area.

Racing can be good or bad. I feel like it has races better in the last couple years.

champion24
01-26-2023, 05:09 PM
Just 1 wrecker? Not a good start!

Minny Lakes
01-26-2023, 08:36 PM
We've been under caution for 20+ minutes for a limited late model stuck on a tractor tire.

Raceready
01-26-2023, 08:47 PM
We've been under caution for 20+ minutes for a limited late model stuck on a tractor tire.What up with that ? ? Get an F-350 out of the parking lot and jerk it on out of there !

KTMLew
01-26-2023, 09:21 PM
What up with that ? ? Get an F-350 out of the parking lot and jerk it on out of there !

I believe my 65 year old bad back, broken down self, could have moved it with a floor jack and something to push that tire over 2 foot. Raise car up, slide tire over, set car down. I got tied up on Reditt and forgot the race was on. Went WHOOPS and when I looked...they were STILL doing a Chinese Fire Drill. Ridiculous.

Sure hope the ambulance guys are better. If a driver need extricated, he gonna die.

84wedge
01-26-2023, 09:25 PM
Just get some guy from Alabama to rip the front clip off with his truck.

backspace
01-26-2023, 09:45 PM
Where did Flo Racing find the announcer for tonight?

Raceready
01-27-2023, 06:03 AM
Just get some guy from Alabama to rip the front clip off with his truck.There you go ! !

crownman25
01-27-2023, 08:39 AM
Roadside assistance lol........

crownman25
01-27-2023, 08:40 AM
Its free comon guys. Ha ha.....

crownman25
01-27-2023, 08:43 AM
WHEN IT WAS THE OIL TRACK IT WAS A FAST SOB.ONE YEAR IT BLEW THE RF ROOFS UP. I remember a state trooper had a radar gun and the straightaway speeds where around 170mph it was like a 5/8 mile...

ZERO25
01-27-2023, 08:49 AM
AAA gives faster wrecker service!.......Geez, not a good look!

flagone
01-27-2023, 10:06 AM
How about a positive comment for a change.

They did a great job with the track prep and provided some good racing. And the majority of the guys putting it down watched from the comfort of their homes.

It is night one so lets please give them some slack. Their first race of the year is their biggest. There are bound to be a few hiccups and areas for improvement.

Big Daddy 37
01-27-2023, 10:18 AM

They did a great job with the track prep and provided some good racing. And the majority of the guys putting it down watched from the comfort of their homes.

It is night one so lets please give them some slack. Their first race of the year is their biggest. There are bound to be a few hiccups and areas for improvement.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
DING, DING, DING..... We have a winning post!

Well said!

over4T
01-27-2023, 10:43 AM
Was always on my bucket list to attend when it was the big wicked fast 5/8 oiled track but never did make it. Not much interest anymore as it's just another dirt circle.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-27-2023, 10:52 AM
We are here for all 3 nights- racing was pretty good overall. A little chilly and yes the wrecker crew was slow- but I’m not complaining. 50 late models at a Lucas Race in late January and staying on the beach for a few days at Jeckel Island before heading to Bubbas for the 2nd track of a month full of racing. What’s to complain about?

Runnin Rebel
01-27-2023, 11:02 AM
They need to clone the Redheaded dude on the golf cart in charge of rig parking and line up in the grid. Then put him in a wrecker. If the took him away from his current duties then all of that would go to hell. That dude is wide open, he will tell you get lost in a minute, but he makes crap happen.

EvelB7
01-27-2023, 11:05 AM
Thought it was a good race, track had multiple grooves. We ran there a couple of times in the 90's and yes, it was bad fast. Only place I have seen people make a naca duct out of the right side door to cool the right rear tire (the 70 wasn't just an option it was the only choice, and you better have sealed it over with some hot/cold cycles before you ran). I remember Frank Ingram flipping down the backstretch, horrible wreck at those speeds. While I miss seeing and getting to run something different it is way better for racing in its current state.

ZERO25
01-27-2023, 11:08 AM

Theres a reason why the majority of fans, even though its only 70 miles away, refuse to go this track!

I bet Uncle Wayne wasnt real happy with the production!

TS FAN
01-27-2023, 11:18 AM
I was not there but the race track itself was really good for the LM feature, even though the winner ran the 40 laps start to finish. The rest of the racing was good

fastford
01-27-2023, 12:01 PM
Just get some guy from Alabama to rip the front clip off with his truck.

I,ll be right there with my 65 long wheel base 6 cyl 3 on the tree ford , if not , maybe you could hook 3 GA cheby,s to it , they might be able to do it ....lol....

d-glenn
01-27-2023, 12:08 PM
I guess it was Thursday night and cold, but they sure came up short with people in the stands. Tonight and Saturday should be much better.

Raceready
01-27-2023, 12:23 PM
I,ll be right there with my 65 long wheel base 6 cyl 3 on the tree ford , if not , maybe you could hook 3 GA cheby,s to it , they might be able to do it ....lol....Maybe 2 Dodges ? ?

squaredup12
01-27-2023, 12:53 PM
I’m an Overton fan, but that car’s big ugly

d-glenn
01-27-2023, 01:04 PM
It's a fast ugly...

squaredup12
01-27-2023, 01:11 PM
^^^ haha, indeed it is

Dlmfan123
01-27-2023, 02:07 PM
Kyle Larson is a new entry for tonight

KTMLew
01-27-2023, 04:55 PM
Kyle Larson is a new entry for tonight

If they make the body any taller on the #6 car he'll have to get in thru a roof hatch. Helmet won't fit thru the "window".

KTMLew
01-27-2023, 05:07 PM
Just a thought: Does Sunbelt Rentals have wreckers & guys that can operate them? /s

Highside Hustler25
01-27-2023, 08:49 PM
Larson😉that's how you pass droop.

Barbecueboy
01-27-2023, 09:41 PM
I’m an idiot he says….….that was classic.

intel8
01-27-2023, 10:16 PM
Great race!

foxfire2dirtracing
01-27-2023, 11:40 PM
We were at GI again tonight- fantastic racing to the end. Congratulations again to Dalton Wilson- another great run for him/team.

ZERO25
01-28-2023, 08:58 AM
Good race.......best race ive seen there!

Then.......both crate winners got dq'ed for transponder being in the wrong place!(Uncle Gradys car won....hmmm?)

Barbecueboy
01-28-2023, 09:40 AM
How many gis races have you seen over the years zero? I’ve been to 4 different super bowls and went down once for some weekly stuff helping a friend with his modified……I agree, last night was the best late model race I’ve seen there.

Highside Hustler25
01-28-2023, 10:33 AM
Excellent racing surface. Last night's track conditions are the type where you could do a 6 car invert and the cream would still rise to the top.
We've had some great races so far in 2023.

ZERO25
01-28-2023, 01:05 PM
How many gis races have you seen over the years zero? I’ve been to 4 different super bowls and went down once for some weekly stuff helping a friend with his modified……I agree, last night was the best late model race I’ve seen there.

My first super race was in 1988! Buck Simmons was in the BWRC house car. We had just started racing a llm and I immediately became hooked on super racing. So, ive probly been to 100 plus races there, as a fan and crew member for Epj! While i loved the oil base track as far as it was Epj's playground, last nite was the best racing I have seen there!

Kudo's to Grady.......for the track prep and heading off any controversy over the dq's. His FB post says he contacted Crusa and they told him the dq was the right call!

TS FAN
01-28-2023, 01:14 PM
Excellent racing surface. Last night's track conditions are the type where you could do a 6 car invert and the cream would still rise to the top.
We've had some great races so far in 2023.

Season has been stout for sure. I cannot see an room for any complaining this year. Excellent track conditions everywhere they have run so far IMO

kidrock
01-28-2023, 03:15 PM
The last 25 laps of last nights race was really good. Congrats to Larson on the win!

Black F
01-28-2023, 04:54 PM
wheeeeers flyboy, he drowned in his puke over nascar star Larson taking all the dlm guys money?

zyoung25
01-28-2023, 07:36 PM
How is everyone going to feel when GIS takes the east bay dates in 2025?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-28-2023, 07:39 PM
How is everyone going to feel when GIS takes the east bay dates in 2025?

Most probably feel ok about that at the moment. There's no replacement for East Bay though.

ready2rd
01-28-2023, 08:05 PM
Brunswick area has the hotels for sure and the race track has lots of grounds for camping and parking and not many tracks has a Dollar General in walking distance,but as stated above hard to beat the races at East bay lets all hope east bay will continue to race for few more years .

zyoung25
01-28-2023, 08:28 PM
Most probably feel ok about that at the moment. There's no replacement for East Bay though.

They will never be able to replace that joint......ever.

kidrock
01-29-2023, 07:30 AM
I was glad to see Sheppard have a good run last night. Hopefully this is a start of some good runs for him. Congrats to Overton on the win. The race itself was ok but, have to give Overton credit for stepping out of line and going for it and it paid off.

Highside Hustler25
01-29-2023, 10:06 AM
I was glad to see Sheppard have a good run last night. Hopefully this is a start of some good runs for him. Congrats to Overton on the win. The race itself was ok but, have to give Overton credit for stepping out of line and going for it and it paid off.

Thought for sure Ricky had that one. Heartbreak City. Didn't expect it to stick for Overton when he went up top. Heck of a job by him.

kidrock
01-29-2023, 10:19 AM
Thought for sure Ricky had that one. Heartbreak City. Didn't expect it to stick for Overton when he went up top. Heck of a job by him.

Same here. I thought when RTJ went up there a few laps prior to Overton going up there and RTJ lost some ground trying it. I didn't think it would work for Overton but, to my surprise it work out for him. He wasn't going to win it following RTJ so, like he said why not try it. Congrats to Overton on the win

Raceready
01-29-2023, 11:42 AM
Thought for sure Ricky had that one. Heartbreak City. Didn't expect it to stick for Overton when he went up top. Heck of a job by him." Lets go Brandon, Lets go Brandon " ! ! ! !

Black F
01-29-2023, 12:38 PM
" Lets go Brandon, Lets go Brandon " ! ! ! !

calm down buttercup.

ZERO25
01-29-2023, 12:42 PM
With it being typical Gis last nite, they should work with Wendell at Alltech, and how to use a sheepsfoot! Dont know if its the solution, but they gotta try something different!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-29-2023, 03:26 PM
Wheres flyboy. I thought for sure he would post on here when #6 larson had won! May be he went w kyle to MR H's ANNIVERSARY PARTY!!😉

dirtcrazy4u
01-29-2023, 04:38 PM
That was some really good racing, kid kyle drove it in and it stuck. Gotta give a shout out to overton, he knew if he stayed on the bottom that was not going to get it done. RTJ, I said a few weeks ago, he is my surprise for the year.

KTMLew
01-29-2023, 05:07 PM
Great to see Superman's Kryptonite is putting him back in the dirty air. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

powerslide
01-30-2023, 01:50 PM
That was some really good racing, kid kyle drove it in and it stuck. Gotta give a shout out to overton, he knew if he stayed on the bottom that was not going to get it done. RTJ, I said a few weeks ago, he is my surprise for the year.

RTJ is not a surprise to anyone that's watch mods or stock cars. Dude can work on and wheel anything. Was cool to see him step out and even go do the Micro's at the tulsa shootout and Midgets at the chili bowl.

TS FAN
01-30-2023, 01:56 PM
RTJ might have been a little complacent on the last two or three laps. Overton surprised him apparently. I was a little surprised too, but I sure have seen this type of last lap charge work a few times over the year. I really like this race track. I think Overton would agree with me too/smile

MRM
01-30-2023, 02:09 PM
My only complaint about Golden Isle is it's usually so freaking cold for those races. Mid 30's on Saturday night and they go a few hours south to Bubba's and it was low to mid 70's.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-30-2023, 02:52 PM
When we left the races at GI- temps were38-40. Right now at Bubbas (3:50pm) it’s 84. It’s shorts/t shirt tonight. Carried a hoodie in last night but didn’t need it- and I’m old!

dirtcrazy4u
01-30-2023, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately we're golden isles is located the cold air sweeps down across Georgia . Went 2 yrs in a row and it was bitter cold. The stands seem to be less crowded, the 2 yrs I was there that tall grandstand was packed.

ZERO25
01-30-2023, 09:06 PM
Kudo's to GIS!!!

Golden Isles Speedway
3h ·
Now that the dust has settled and the air is clear we would like to make an announcement. Friday night Cody Overton and Kole Platt were “disqualified” for incorrect transponder placement. Each time GIS has ran a sanctioned CRUSA race, transponders have been required to be on the RR axle tube.During The Super Bowl of Racing we enforced CRUSA rules, therefore both drivers were threw out because transponders were located on the LF. After the call was made it was brought to our attention it was NOT listed in the CRUSA rule book anywhere. Grady and I reviewed the rules and made some phone calls ourselves to get to the bottom of it. We called our race director and our tech man and spoke it over with them. Although the win has already been awarded to different drivers, I have made the decision to pay Cody Overton and Kole Platt as well, for their positions before the disqualification. From here on out EVERY rule will be written in black and white. If you have questions please, find an official and ask. Or even come into my office and I will ask for you. Golden Isles Speedway does take blame for assuming this rule that has been enforced all last year, was located in the stated rules that were being enforced.

Raceready
01-31-2023, 10:01 AM
Hats off to them ! Honesty is a trait that is getting more rare in todays world .