PDA

View Full Version : Owens / longhorn

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-28-2023, 11:02 PM
Jimmy has been in longhorns on numerous times over the past few yrs. For some reason they just dont work for him. I wouldnt be suprised if you dont see him back in a rocket as he ran well in them as of recently. Some 4mers are going to say its still early yet and bla bla bla well if you come out of speedweeks in the hole to deep and still are running like crap you better figure out something quick cuz the guys that are running good will help you bury yourself. I still think jimmy had some of his best yrs in his bloomquist cars.

Josh Bayko
01-29-2023, 12:04 AM
He should really just get back into Rockets. He was doing his own thing with them, just like Madden, and was pretty competitive in em. But considering he’s driving for somebody else paying the bills, it probably isn’t an option.

dewtrucker29
01-29-2023, 06:23 AM
I'm an Owens fan and expect some growing pains with the new team. But I will agree that him and Longhorns just don't seem like a compatible match. Time will tell, but can't take too long especially if they are planning on following a series.

nc mudcat
01-29-2023, 07:04 AM
Is it the chassis, or is it the team?

Pennsboro32
01-29-2023, 07:57 AM
New team that came together in the last month is likely the bigger problem.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-29-2023, 08:18 AM

Longhorn cars have won every race this year. Jimmy Owens had a wheel come off last night.

Raceready
01-29-2023, 10:01 AM
I'm an Owens fan and expect some growing pains with the new team. But I will agree that him and Longhorns just don't seem like a compatible match. Time will tell, but can't take too long especially if they are planning on following a series.Not to worry, Old Jimmy will put together a good run every now and again !

zyoung25
01-29-2023, 12:04 PM
Supposedly he made an agreement to try the longhorns to start out. If it's true, we will probably see him back in the rockets for all tech with the way he has ran.

Josh Bayko
01-29-2023, 01:00 PM

Probably a bit of both, but this is like 3rd or 4th time he’s tried Horns and he hasn’t ever had any speed in em.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-29-2023, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know if his new team has any Rockets?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-29-2023, 03:18 PM
Not sure. There a local regional team here in nc and I think they run longhorns but they may have run rockets in past. They ran friendship and 311 which both tracks are defunct now. Bobby the team owner who operates a wrecker business ( ultimate towing & recovery) in multiple locations drove 114 in lm crates and slm classes for quite a few yrs. His son jordan took over a few yrs back also.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-29-2023, 03:21 PM
I agree w your post. Jimmy ran really good in his rockets w a few wins.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-29-2023, 04:10 PM
I was just curious as to what happened with Jimmy’s rockets he had with Rameriz.

zyoung25
01-29-2023, 04:45 PM

I was told Jimmy has 2 new rockets of his own that were basically ready to go before the Kohler deal came together.

dirtcrazy4u
01-29-2023, 04:50 PM
They brought Jimmy in so that he could help the boys out also let's not forget, there also driving horns , so I don't see them getting any rockets.

In The Gas
01-29-2023, 06:18 PM
I would not recommend anyone getting rid of a Longhorn for a current Rocket. Rockets are not looking good so far and the stats are obviously one sided in favor of the Longhorns. Give Jimmy some time and he will figure out a balance that suits his driving style.

DoubleZero
01-30-2023, 08:35 AM
Not to focus on Jimmy, but any team, driver, etc. constantly switching brands, flip-flopping, does not build allegiance with the chassis builders. Changing back and forth may help in the short run, but not so much in the long run.

racert22
01-30-2023, 09:18 AM
I would not recommend anyone getting rid of a Longhorn for a current Rocket. Rockets are not looking good so far and the stats are obviously one sided in favor of the Longhorns. Give Jimmy some time and he will figure out a balance that suits his driving style.

Obviously stats are gonna favor Longhorn.. everyone and their brother is in one. Who's in a Rocket right now that's worth being in a car to begin with? Erb Jr, O'Neil, Blair sometimes? Madden was in front at Volusia. Take 15 Longhorns to maybe 4 XR1s in a giving field/race I'd hope Longhorn would have better stats lol.. Jimmy in a XR1 his stats are better. The Longhorn is making him look bad like it has everytime he's tried one.

Also it dont matter what you put Overton, Mccreadie or Davenport in they'd be in front.

Raceready
01-30-2023, 10:24 AM
I would not recommend anyone getting rid of a Longhorn for a current Rocket. Rockets are not looking good so far and the stats are obviously one sided in favor of the Longhorns. Give Jimmy some time and he will figure out a balance that suits his driving style.That is quite obvious. The last few years results of the big races should prove that. Rocket may do all right with the local boys on a Saturday night but they are lacking on the national level it would appear. It wouldn't make sense for Jimmy to take a step backwards .

Pennsboro32
01-30-2023, 11:46 AM
That is quite obvious. The last few years results of the big races should prove that. Rocket may do all right with the local boys on a Saturday night but they are lacking on the national level it would appear. It wouldn't make sense for Jimmy to take a step backwards .

You wear those Pom poms out yet?

Black F
01-30-2023, 12:47 PM
lol ^^^ !!!

bleedblue55
01-30-2023, 02:48 PM
You wear those Pom poms out yet?

Those pom poms are banging off his chin

Snake X3
01-30-2023, 03:10 PM
Obviously stats are gonna favor Longhorn.. everyone and their brother is in one. Who's in a Rocket right now that's worth being in a car to begin with? Erb Jr, O'Neil, Blair sometimes? Madden was in front at Volusia. Take 15 Longhorns to maybe 4 XR1s in a giving field/race I'd hope Longhorn would have better stats lol.. Jimmy in a XR1 his stats are better. The Longhorn is making him look bad like it has everytime he's tried one.

Also it dont matter what you put Overton, Mccreadie or Davenport in they'd be in front.

I agree, but it wasn't that long ago that Rocket had a similar numerical advantage over Longhorn, and even more so in certain regions of the country. Longhorn still won their share of races back then, and Rocket will still win their share of races as long as Hud and Madden are in one.

Snake X3
01-30-2023, 03:15 PM
I was told Jimmy has 2 new rockets of his own that were basically ready to go before the Kohler deal came together.

I suspected that was the case. With the way this Kohler deal has started out for Jimmy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to running his own stuff. Not sure of his relationship with Bloomer, but if Scott is out for the season, I'd like to see him get back in one of his cars. He had a lot of success with them in the past.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-30-2023, 03:54 PM
I suspected that was the case. With the way this Kohler deal has started out for Jimmy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to running his own stuff. Not sure of his relationship with Bloomer, but if Scott is out for the season, I'd like to see him get back in one of his cars. He had a lot of success with them in the past.

You can't discount how much it costs to operate a team. We only know for sure that 1 of the 3 options can actually do that.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-30-2023, 04:16 PM
Jimmy dosen’t have a hauler.
Bloomer is suppose to be out 4 weeks after surgery in either February/March.
I agree Bloomquist cars fit Jimmy- his best years was in those Chasis. Not sure if they have made amends - or if Jimmy could get a new one if he wanted to??

In The Gas
01-30-2023, 05:42 PM

I would not for see any of the 3 mentioned winning in a rocket right now. Last time I saw Superman in something other than a Longhorn was when he was in the Barry Wright house car and he was awful. It just seems that the rockets are falling off after 10 laps or so and don’t have the balance that the Horns have to finish out a feature.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-30-2023, 06:39 PM
Last thing besides a longhorn I remember seeing JD in was GR Smith xr1 on the eldora podium.

84wedge
01-30-2023, 07:19 PM
Jimmy looks about as fast as he did last year.

Pennsboro32
01-30-2023, 07:21 PM
Last thing besides a longhorn I remember seeing JD in was GR Smith xr1 on the eldora podium.

Funny how those memories work.

drich24
01-30-2023, 08:16 PM
And the next weekend at Knoxville, he had a flat at the halfway pitstop, went to the rear, and darn near won it!

dirtcrazy4u
01-30-2023, 08:47 PM
Wasn't it mentioned a couple weeks ago that bloomer is no longer interested selling chassis ? You guys keep wanting owens to get 1 of scott's cars, wtf wake up.

bleedblue55
01-30-2023, 09:34 PM
Funny how those memories work.

I was just starting to mention that. JD and GR kicked some tail late that year in a Rocket. Then the Landers-JD deal was announced at Charlotte.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-30-2023, 09:43 PM
Owens is heading home from speedweeks after tonight at Bubbas.

Drop Shock
01-31-2023, 12:41 AM
It’s funny to me that everyone’s first instinct is to play the chassis wars. Have any of you paid attention to how different the body’s look on the fast longhorns compared to the mid pack longhorns? Look at all the people that have debuted longhorns over the past few few years with less than stellar results. Smart race car drivers and smart crew members make the difference, not the metal getting welded together

thexfactor0210
01-31-2023, 08:32 AM
Is he not running either tour now?!?

foxfire2dirtracing
01-31-2023, 09:19 AM
Don’t know- DOD guys stated that his fun meter in Florida had pegged out.
Maybe going to regroup and return??
Looks like Friday’s AllTech will be rained out?

zyoung25
01-31-2023, 05:53 PM

It is my understanding that he was still going to race for Kohler, he was just going to use his cars. I expect him to be in his rockets this weekend.

If what I was told is true

Snake X3
01-31-2023, 09:05 PM
It is my understanding that he was still going to race for Kohler, he was just going to use his cars. I expect him to be in his rockets this weekend.

If what I was told is true

Cool. Thanks for the info.

phenom08
02-02-2023, 02:08 PM
Anyone else think Longhorn isn't sharing everything with the guys that long time Rocket guys? Bshep, Owens, Terbo wasn't good in his longhorn

Pennsboro32
02-02-2023, 02:14 PM
Anyone else think Longhorn isn't sharing everything with the guys that long time Rocket guys? Bshep, Owens, Terbo wasn't good in his longhorn

Terbo didn't give his longhorn enough time to be good. Sheppard has shown speed but it takes more than 5-6 races to get comfortable in something else considering he's drove rockets for many years.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-02-2023, 02:53 PM

There's a Longhorn and there's a Longhorn with Rumley help.

Jking24
02-02-2023, 03:42 PM
There's a Longhorn and there's a Longhorn with Rumley help.Also with the exception of Overton. Pretty much everyone running well in a Longhorn is on bilsteins. Sheppard is on Integras still. I know everyone will say it's just a curve it doesn't matter what body it's in. Well that may be true to some degrees but it's all a package aswell as a information stream and some how I tend to think sheppard has put him self out on an island sticking with Integra.

zyoung25
02-02-2023, 04:08 PM
Jimmy was on ohlins with his rockets. Is on ohlins with the longhorn cars too?

dirtcrazy4u
02-02-2023, 07:37 PM
Open your eyes and look at the bodies. There's about 10 to 12 guys that have bodies on there horns that where built in a wind tunnel. The cars that come out of longhorn don't have the same bodies as the guys on tour.

dirtcrazy4u
02-02-2023, 07:38 PM
^^^^^HEY, maybe steve francis can do something. LMFAO

Dlmfan123
02-02-2023, 09:12 PM
Jimmy was on ohlins with his rockets. Is on ohlins with the longhorn cars too?Sticker on the car says Penske. Jimmy made it back to florida and is testing tonight at all tech

Crossbones
02-02-2023, 10:52 PM
Open your eyes and look at the bodies. There's about 10 to 12 guys that have bodies on there horns that where built in a wind tunnel. The cars that come out of longhorn don't have the same bodies as the guys on tour.

They look the same to me.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-03-2023, 05:40 AM

There's one good thing about that. They can't fit in any wind tunnel correctly. They aren't wide enough to not sit them in straight and they don't drive straight.

Josh Bayko
05-04-2023, 05:22 PM
Jimmy is back in Rockets.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-05-2023, 12:38 AM
Jimmy is back in Rockets.

I think he's been in rockets after the break in fla. They went to speedweeks in longhorns and ran like crap so they had a couple days off and came back and switched to rockets but didn't fair much better. So if he's back in rockets I'm wondering if they switched rockets. Any info? Or am I wrong

OhioRaceFan
05-05-2023, 05:07 AM
James Essex said it was "a brand new Rocket"

zyoung25
05-05-2023, 05:57 AM
James Essex said it was "a brand new Rocket"

They bought everything guard rail had when he decided to sell out, cheated tars and all. He's had rocket cars before now, but the one he raced last night was indeed a new car.

manwplan
05-05-2023, 07:29 AM
Also with the exception of Overton. Pretty much everyone running well in a Longhorn is on bilsteins. Sheppard is on Integras still. I know everyone will say it's just a curve it doesn't matter what body it's in. Well that may be true to some degrees but it's all a package aswell as a information stream and some how I tend to think sheppard has put him self out on an island sticking with Integra.

Shep has been on Bilsteins since Speedweek

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-05-2023, 01:02 PM
They bought everything guard rail had when he decided to sell out, cheated tars and all. He's had rocket cars before now, but the one he raced last night was indeed a new car.

Ok ty zyoung25.

JustAddDirt
05-05-2023, 02:09 PM
looks like Jimmy needs to get Cody Mallory back on the payroll. Cause what he is currently doing is not working at all!
Hasn't done much since Mallory left.

dirtcrazy4u
05-05-2023, 04:35 PM
^^^^^finally somebody else sees it. I like jimmy, but, without the right guy turning the wrenches he has struggled. Rocket or Longhorn.

ZERO25
05-05-2023, 04:40 PM
Somethings a little fishy......the bossmans son has a 3 race old LH for sale! But when asked about switching to Rocket, he said no!

Highside Hustler25
05-05-2023, 04:50 PM
looks like Jimmy needs to get Cody Mallory back on the payroll. Cause what he is currently doing is not working at all!
Hasn't done much since Mallory left.

^^^^^finally somebody else sees it. I like jimmy, but, without the right guy turning the wrenches he has struggled. Rocket or Longhorn.

You guys should both hire him as a housekeeper.
I bet you are out of silverware by Monday.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-05-2023, 09:57 PM
You guys should both hire him as a housekeeper.
I bet you are out of silverware by Monday.

They don't have enough straws!

Dlmfan123
05-06-2023, 12:41 PM
Somethings a little fishy......the bossmans son has a 3 race old LH for sale! But when asked about switching to Rocket, he said no!They have a ton of cars at the moment. Probably just trying to get rid of some

Josh Bayko
05-06-2023, 03:58 PM
Somethings a little fishy......the bossmans son has a 3 race old LH for sale! But when asked about switching to Rocket, he said no!

He’s probably just trying to get rid of Jimmy’s Longhorns.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-06-2023, 04:26 PM
I don't think it's fishy when he just bought out a Longhorn guy. What's fishy is when a touring guy gets a new car and runs it 3 times and sells it. Then he buys the same brand again.

Drop Shock
05-06-2023, 11:00 PM
I don't think it's fishy when he just bought out a Longhorn guy. What's fishy is when a touring guy gets a new car and runs it 3 times and sells it. Then he buys the same brand again.

They’ve never been able to build two cars the same. I’d say after covid the quality of metal has gone way down. Makes for more stinkers

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-07-2023, 09:52 AM
I've heard lots of horror stories about the Longhorn build process. I just don't get it. I guess they aren't using Docol? That's supposed to fix the metal variation issues.

Punisher88
05-07-2023, 11:55 AM
I didn't think anyone was using docol anymore. Warrior is the only chassis company I see advertising it. I run CVR Chassis and had a docol and can confirm that it was absolute junk, and Chip would agree. He went back to moly in 19 and found speed again. He said after 10 to 20 races a docol car was done.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-07-2023, 12:55 PM
I didn't think anyone was using docol anymore. Warrior is the only chassis company I see advertising it. I run CVR Chassis and had a docol and can confirm that it was absolute junk, and Chip would agree. He went back to moly in 19 and found speed again. He said after 10 to 20 races a docol car was done.

Docol is basically a rolled and welded moly slab. What's the science that makes it no good?

A chassis is just supposed to locate everything in space. That means relative to the suspension stiffness, those location points should not be moving around in space because of loads. I'm pretty sure when small changes make the car "junk", it wasn't stiff enough to start with and we simply found away to work around the flaw.

dirtcrazy4u
05-07-2023, 06:16 PM
Since we are into the rumors, it was said when a certain longhorn that had Lucas across the front of it and he left for team 46 it was because they could not get a good chassis from horn. I was told it really matters who is welding the car.

Drop Shock
05-08-2023, 02:17 AM
The XR1’s are all docol are they not? I know they were the first ones to get it

Escobar
05-08-2023, 02:47 PM
The XR1 that won $1+ mil was a docol car. Rocket1 ran that car for a silly amount of races and it didn't lose a step.

crownman25
05-08-2023, 02:59 PM
race cars are like humans no two the same...THEY ALL REACT AND ACT DIFFERENTLY!

Crossbones
05-12-2023, 07:59 AM
Since we are into the rumors, it was said when a certain longhorn that had Lucas across the front of it and he left for team 46 it was because they could not get a good chassis from horn. I was told it really matters who is welding the car.

Pearson was in the black diamond house car before going to Papich #46.

james777777
05-12-2023, 08:44 AM
With Hudson winning some races over fields full of Longhorn's, how long before you see others change?

Pennsboro32
05-12-2023, 08:48 AM
With Hudson winning some races over fields full of Longhorn's, how long before you see others change?

It’s already started.

dirtcrazy4u
05-13-2023, 05:06 AM
Crossbones, my error, I forgot all about that pc of sh*t EPJ was driving.

dirtcrazy4u
05-13-2023, 05:08 AM
Does the back of hudson's spoiler just say rocket now ? I thought I saw it and it did not read xr-1.

Josh Bayko
05-13-2023, 07:06 AM
Does the back of hudson's spoiler just say rocket now ? I thought I saw it and it did not read xr-1.

It hasn’t said XR1 on the spoiler in a while, if ever.

84wedge
05-13-2023, 11:24 AM
With Hudson winning some races over fields full of Longhorn's, how long before you see others change?There's a more diverse field of Longhorns winning races.

Pennsboro32
05-13-2023, 12:52 PM
There's a more diverse field of Longhorns winning races.

Looking at the results regionally and nationally, I don’t think that’s true.

Jking24
05-13-2023, 05:28 PM
The XR1 that won $1+ mil was a docol car. Rocket1 ran that car for a silly amount of races and it didn't lose a step.They are all docol but I believe pierce actually had the first docol car. If I remember correctly I think Bob said the car he won the world 100 with was docol

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-13-2023, 05:58 PM
They are all docol but I believe pierce actually had the first docol car. If I remember correctly I think Bob said the car he won the world 100 with was docol

I think you are correct, but I also think it had only a few select sections of Docol that didn't amount to a lot really. Granted, I think that's how all of them are, but I think Platinum cars were really on the low percentage end of the spectrum.

scottctton
05-15-2023, 05:12 AM
Well, there's about 10 to 12 guys that have bodies on there horns that where built in a wind tunnel.

jog49
05-20-2023, 11:28 AM
Well, Owens needs to find something that works because his name is not in the WIN column much anymore.