PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tires

Jerky
02-16-2023, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Smokey on the win last night. I can't recall ever seeing so many tires shredded by debris on a track. I remember a daytime World Finals about a decade ago when the big block mods had every car but one in the field burn off a right rear, but that was due to track conditions, not debris.

It was kind of a bummer to see what was a good race turn into the punctured tire lottery.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? Part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to red flag the race as soon as they realized they likely had a severe debris issue. Letting them keep circling under caution probably flattened more than half the tires. At that point, part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to give the positions back to those who punctured tires.

But then the other part of me says there were guys who didn't pop tires, so they don't deserve to be punished. It seems more of a dumb luck than a skill thing that they didn't.

I just know I'd be pretty pissed that I put two-three tires on and lost a decent payday because the track crew missed a hatchet in the track.

Jking24
02-16-2023, 11:27 AM
Congrats to Smokey on the win last night. I can't recall ever seeing so many tires shredded by debris on a track. I remember a daytime World Finals about a decade ago when the big block mods had every car but one in the field burn off a right rear, but that was due to track conditions, not debris.It was kind of a bummer to see what was a good race turn into the punctured tire lottery.Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? Part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to red flag the race as soon as they realized they likely had a severe debris issue. Letting them keep circling under caution probably flattened more than half the tires. At that point, part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to give the positions back to those who punctured tires.But then the other part of me says there were guys who didn't pop tires, so they don't deserve to be punished. It seems more of a dumb luck than a skill thing that they didn't.I just know I'd be pretty pissed that I put two-three tires on and lost a decent payday because the track crew missed a hatchet in the track.Definitely not the preferred situation for the teams or the series. I heard in one of the interviews they said that it was Somthing stuck in the track right under the flag stand in the main Groove. Not Defending anyone but that is not a typical place in the racetrack where that happens. I can't remember the particular race maybe the north/ south but I can remember a similar situation during one of the bigger races

Oiler
02-16-2023, 11:29 AM
I went up to the Pittsburgher in 2020. RTJ won the race and I believe was the only one of the starting field that didn't change a tire. There were cars already pulling in to change flats by lap 40.

Went to the Blue-Grey that year too. Overton changed his RR on lap 60 and Madden stayed out to protect the lead. Made it to lap 93 when the RR finally quit. I think all starters changed at least one tire that day.

I helped a team at the 2022 Blue-Grey....think we changed all four that day. What a mess.

Jerky
02-16-2023, 12:43 PM
I went up to the Pittsburgher in 2020. RTJ won the race and I believe was the only one of the starting field that didn't change a tire. There were cars already pulling in to change flats by lap 40.

Went to the Blue-Grey that year too. Overton changed his RR on lap 60 and Madden stayed out to protect the lead. Made it to lap 93 when the RR finally quit. I think all starters changed at least one tire that day.

I helped a team at the 2022 Blue-Grey....think we changed all four that day. What a mess.

I've seen plenty of races where they burn the tires off the cars too. Just not one where debris takes out half the field under caution.

Buford.Justice
02-16-2023, 02:54 PM
Kentucky Lake Speedway had the tire problem one year. Someone said the track was full of screws that were in something that they put on the track. I never did get the whole story on that one.

The big feature that night was a "Flat Fest"...

Rajflyboy
02-16-2023, 04:03 PM
It was a piece of metal sticking up (unfortunately)

dirtcrazy4u
02-17-2023, 04:27 AM
They had eyes on the track during those yellow flag laps. 1 way radios, they more than likely told the drivers to look for anything on track. It's happened many times where you will see a driver stop on track until someone arrives so he can show the official what he see's. He always gets his spot back?

JustAddDirt
02-17-2023, 07:18 AM
Kentucky Lake Speedway had the tire problem one year. Someone said the track was full of screws that were in something that they put on the track. I never did get the whole story on that one.

The big feature that night was a "Flat Fest"...

One year to help the track hold moisture they put a bunch of crushed gypsum board on the track.
screws came from that.

Black F
02-17-2023, 09:16 AM
One year to help the track hold moisture they put a bunch of crushed gypsum board on the track.
screws came from that.

who was the genius behind that project?

Buford.Justice
02-17-2023, 02:02 PM
screws came from that.

That is what I heard, but I didn't want to come out with it since I wasn't sure. The gypsum board would draw moisture for sure.

crownman25
02-22-2023, 08:50 AM
Yeah those purple guys had a smile on there faces bigger than the grinch did when he stole x mas....

Buford.Justice
02-26-2023, 01:43 PM
Those "purple guys" love a hard dry slick track also!!!!

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-26-2023, 06:32 PM
Those "purple guys" love a hard dry slick track also!!!!

They sell more tires if guys are bolting on the softies. That's why they brought the LM10, (NLMT1) back.

golddirt
02-26-2023, 06:46 PM
Klms was when Sherrie Heckenast had it. Was Lucas finale cost don O’Neal the title.

Jking24
02-27-2023, 08:11 AM
They sell more tires if guys are bolting on the softies. That's why they brought the LM10, (NLMT1) back.Most teams said their tire bill for Florida nearly doubled this year. Sounds like hoosier has fixed their cash flow issues to me lol

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-27-2023, 08:43 AM
Most teams said their tire bill for Florida nearly doubled this year. Sounds like hoosier has fixed their cash flow issues to me lol

None of those take offs littering the pits were good enough for a guy to take home either. Hoosier won twice.

Buford.Justice
02-27-2023, 11:22 AM
They sell more tires if guys are bolting on the softies. That's why they brought the LM10, (NLMT1) back.

Getting tires (soft ones) burnt off on a dirt track is a bad deal all around. It's really tough on the low budget guy, the high dollar teams not so much.

Tacky tracks of the past had the street classes keeping tires so much longer than now. Any class as far as that goes.

Jking24
02-27-2023, 11:59 AM
None of those take offs littering the pits were good enough for a guy to take home either. Hoosier won twice.Yep I know teams that would race all year on used Florida tires. Not this year

crownman25
02-27-2023, 03:09 PM
Is TRUMP GONNA GET THE BLAME FOR THIS OR LETS GO BRANDON?

ftfiowa
02-27-2023, 10:49 PM
Boom says we need all 4 tire options all year long

james777777
02-28-2023, 08:54 AM
Boom says we need all 4 tire options all year longNo one NEEDS a 10. Depending on race length & conditions, a 20, 30, or 40 may be NEEDED.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-28-2023, 10:49 AM
No one NEEDS a 10. Depending on race length & conditions, a 20, 30, or 40 may be NEEDED.

Exactly! It was gone 10 years and should still be gone.

billetbirdcage
02-28-2023, 12:14 PM
No one NEEDS a 10. Depending on race length & conditions, a 20, 30, or 40 may be NEEDED.

The other thing people are forgetting is there is no longer a 40 option for the front or LR. While it may not change things for some series, it does for several of the regional series that had a hard tire rule. Now the hardest you can run is a 40 RR and 30's on the other 3.

Note: The only #4 tire available is a 29.0 or 92.0 tire. A number #3 is the hardest tire in a 28.5 or 90.0. Most series won't allow a 29/92 to be ran anywhere but the RR.

Barbecueboy
02-28-2023, 12:51 PM
Has anybody ever had a “ Tire rule” that actually worked? For the racer…….

Jking24
02-28-2023, 01:21 PM
That's not what tire rules are for !

Mopar DLM
02-28-2023, 01:59 PM
I would take an open tire rule at this point as long as I get to choose where they are on the car. If someone decides to put on soft tires and burns them up and I can last on a harder tire I am good with that. I can remember hundreds of winner circle interviews where drivers were quoted saying " I decided to use ____ compound after looking at everybody's tires in lineup". Personally what compounds they offer doesn't matter to me as much as the series giving us the options to run them.

Josh Bayko
02-28-2023, 02:27 PM
I think a tire rule that works for everybody is an impossibility. There are benefits and drawbacks to any and all tire rules or lack thereof, and that affects all racers differently.

Barbecueboy
02-28-2023, 03:06 PM
That's not what tire rules are for !

I knew that….it’s for profit under the guise of fairness.

Totally agree with the old victory lane interviews hearing about how tire choice x helped them win because of how they treated them during the race.

Mopar DLM
02-28-2023, 03:56 PM
If you want to see more passing in races nowadays put some people out there on different compounds and see the tires come and go as a race progresses.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-28-2023, 04:14 PM
If you want to see more passing in races nowadays put some people out there on different compounds and see the tires come and go as a race progresses.

I agree. That has been part of the issue the last few years. At many races, everyone is on the same set of tires.

Barbecueboy
02-28-2023, 04:21 PM
It’s big brother( no offense to Dan stone) trying to be the brains for each individual team….for their own good.

And monopolistic greed, lots of greed.