PDA

View Full Version : Knew I’d miss Rick Eshelman, just didn’t know how bad.

EDERDS
02-16-2023, 05:46 PM
Good announcers are rare.

ftfiowa
02-16-2023, 05:49 PM
reuben trying to give himself a heart attack during time trials tonite at VSP lol. had to turn the volume down

Black F
02-16-2023, 06:32 PM
i knew how much he'd be missed.

TBSprintFan
02-17-2023, 01:43 AM
It's too bad that they did not go with Chris Stephen who did the Dirt Car late models earlier in the week, at least he is knowledgeable about the sport and doesn't yell.

dirtcrazy4u
02-17-2023, 04:15 AM
This is a product of WRG. It's what they want, my wife who is not a fan of racing but does not complain when I'm watching. I turn the volume down at the start of any woo race. She asked me last night why I always do that and I told her I don't need to listen to the announcer screaming. Her reply made sense, what do you want him to do ? Read a dialog and sound like a priest. Got to get people excited somehow especially if there new to watching.

ZERO25
02-17-2023, 11:37 AM
Definitely miss Rick but Reuben seems to be improving!

BTExpress
02-17-2023, 02:31 PM
I agree, give Rueben some time. He is only what 23 or 24 and is replacing a Hall of Famer. Our sport needs young blood to survive, whether it is announcers, promotors or fans.

On another note, if you look back on this board even a few years ago, there were posters critizing Rick....his jokes were corny, he gets too excited, his nicknames for the drivers are dumb, etc. Guess what, there is NO PERFECT announcer. Lay off the kid....he will grow on you!

dirtcrazy4u
02-17-2023, 03:51 PM
Reuben is doing fine, comparisons to R.E. are way out of bounds. The guy was at it a long long time, Reuben changed a great deal after his departure.

ftfiowa
02-17-2023, 04:39 PM
reuben is losing his voice already, sounds thin tonite! #thankgoodness fyi i dont hate reuben just hate any announcer when they yell needlessly. just do your job without the crazy inflections in voice please!

zer018
02-17-2023, 06:19 PM
It's too bad that they did not go with Chris Stephen who did the Dirt Car late models earlier in the week, at least he is knowledgeable about the sport and doesn't yell.

This is the first time subscribing to DIRTVision and was pleasantly surprised with Chris Stephen announcing. The guy gets it! He does a great job with no screaming, no repetitive sayings that gets old really fast, and no auctioneer sponsor shout outs. The guy will mention the main sponsors with the drivers name and no addition of the worn out nicknames. It was refreshing hearing someone doing their job and doing it well without trying to be the “show”. He keeps it simple, clear, and concise.

Rajflyboy
02-17-2023, 07:31 PM
Bring in Ralph Shaheen

foxfire2dirtracing
02-17-2023, 09:55 PM
^^^Thought you disliked NASCRAP?

Rajflyboy
02-18-2023, 06:31 AM
^^^Thought you disliked NASCRAP?He isn’t NASCAR. He was the voice of the World of Outlaws. He has done NHRA. lots of superbike and super cross as well

jr29
02-18-2023, 07:25 AM
Most of them stink. Ken Squiers and Ralph Shaheens don't grow on trees.

The local East Bay announcer is as good or better than most of the national and regional announcers.

Rajflyboy
02-18-2023, 07:56 AM
Most of them stink. Ken Squiers and Ralph Shaheens don't grow on trees. The local East Bay announcer is as good or better than most of the national and regional announcers.So true👍 BMX announcers are normally very good. I’d like to see one of them call a stock car race

zyoung25
02-18-2023, 08:21 AM
Ralph is a good guy for hype but he don't know jack about the drivers or the cars in general. Reuben at least has note cars like James and Rick to write down info needed for the drivers. The absolute best announcer I've ever heard is Chuck Greenslate from PRP. He doesn't get excited about much and can tell you everything about the driver and his car. He even goes the extra step to tell you what the driver does for a living.

foxfire2dirtracing
02-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Ozzie Altman was one of the greatest. Unfortunately he is in a nursing /rehab facility since his massive stroke in 2018. He was the voice of the Hav-A-Tampa series.

jr29
02-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Ralph is a good guy for hype but he don't know jack about the drivers or the cars in general. Reuben at least has note cars like James and Rick to write down info needed for the drivers. The absolute best announcer I've ever heard is Chuck Greenslate from PRP. He doesn't get excited about much and can tell you everything about the driver and his car. He even goes the extra step to tell you what the driver does for a living.

If it was his job I'll bet he'd know a lot about the drivers and cars.

I hear quite a few local track announcers that are a lot better than national and regional series announcers.

If we voted on our favorites I'll almost guarantee they'd be guys who don't scream and don't tell awful jokes and don't find it necessary to give every driver an inane nickname.

havaT21
02-18-2023, 09:54 AM
Agree, Rick was a great announcer. Give Reuben a break, it's his 1st full season as the main guy in the booth and developing his own style in the process. It may not work for everyone and that honestly is ok in my mind as long as he's being honest in his presentation, enunciates clearly and shows an unbiased view.

There are times when I too turn the sound down on the other broadcasts. I want to hear a clean description about the race, which I think Reuben delivers. Race announcers like everyone else get excited at times - for me the key to that is using words to describe the action on the track vs an 'ooohhh' or an 'aaaaahhhrrrgggghhh' ...

I don't want to go to the chuckle hut or re-live & rehash the hall of fame years and hear the same 20 sponsor, 3 address description when introducing a driver.

Hoosier_Dirt
02-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Reubens doing fine. Give the kid a break, its his 1st full season. That announcing gig isnt a easy job!!

Josh Bayko
02-18-2023, 12:38 PM
Rueben is still trying a little too hard and he’s really young. As he matures, his announcing should settle down and get more consistent.

BirkyTime15B
02-21-2023, 08:03 AM
Reuben is doing great! Dude LOVES the sport and the drivers. Let him find his groove.

Rajflyboy
02-21-2023, 08:05 AM
Reuben isn’t bad 👍

Barbecueboy
02-21-2023, 09:56 AM
Reuben is doing great! Dude LOVES the sport and the drivers. Let him find his groove.

100% agree here……

Black F
02-21-2023, 10:01 AM
i like mine with extra 1000 island.

Jerky
02-24-2023, 08:14 AM
If I could offer Reuben one piece of advice, it would be that there's no reason to read each and every sponsor on the car every time the car goes out for time trials. Stick to two or three, rotate the rest of the list in during different events. I think most sponsors would agree. "From Oakwood, Illinois, driving the Hoker Trucking, Allgayer Inc., Rio Grand Waste Services Longhorn, it's Bobby Pierce!" said calmly gets a lot more bang for the buck than "From Oakwood, Illinois driving the HokerTruckingAllgayerIncRioGrandeWasteServicesSeni orLifeInsuranceMesillaValleyTransport<<GASP>>>ToyotaOfDanvilleBaseRacingFuelExtremeElectricQuali tyPaintAndBody<<GASP>>VicHillRacingEnginesAllstarPerformance Longhorn, it's Bobby Pierce!" (Rueben collapses in a heap)

ZERO25
02-24-2023, 11:10 AM
If I could offer Reuben one piece of advice, it would be that there's no reason to read each and every sponsor on the car every time the car goes out for time trials. Stick to two or three, rotate the rest of the list in during different events. I think most sponsors would agree. "From Oakwood, Illinois, driving the Hoker Trucking, Allgayer Inc., Rio Grand Waste Services Longhorn, it's Bobby Pierce!" said calmly gets a lot more bang for the buck than "From Oakwood, Illinois driving the HokerTruckingAllgayerIncRioGrandeWasteServicesSeni orLifeInsuranceMesillaValleyTransport<<GASP>>>ToyotaOfDanvilleBaseRacingFuelExtremeElectricQuali tyPaintAndBody<<GASP>>VicHillRacingEnginesAllstarPerformance Longhorn, it's Bobby Pierce!" (Rueben collapses in a heap)

Agree ^^^!!

Josh Bayko
02-24-2023, 11:54 AM
i like mine with extra 1000 island.

Now I want a sammich. (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) you, Blackie

dirtcrazy4u
02-24-2023, 12:54 PM
Just made one for lunch. Yum

Buford.Justice
02-24-2023, 01:46 PM
Didn't we have a Chef on 4M a few years back. I remember someone saying chop chop all the time! hahahaa

Maybe it was Litey???

Black F
02-24-2023, 02:21 PM
Now I want a sammich. (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) you, Blackie

well then get in there and make ya one! better yet, make us all a dam sammich!! chop chop!

ZERO25
02-24-2023, 03:55 PM
well then get in there and make ya one! better yet, make us all a dam sammich!! chop chop!

Your boy SS dont make sammiches for his truckstop route anymore?

These youngins these days!

havaT21
02-25-2023, 11:15 AM
Jerky is spot on here - two things that I'll add is that seems to be the norm "ontheLucasOilDirtLateModelSeries" as well.

I understand that the sponsors want & have paid and deserve the exposure. (1) Keep it fresh please - 3-5 sponsors per mention & (2) I think most of the viewing crowd knows where each of the drivers is from. For example, adding in that RTJ lived in New Mexico, Arizona, Iowa and now finally has settled in Indiana each time he takes the track has become tiresome.

Overall, Reuben is in a tough spot & is doing well. He's earned & now been given this huge platform, working without a partner to take some of the description load off of him. I enjoy the excitement he brings (at times), the passion for the series and his ability to describe clearly what is happening on the track. Are there times when it's preferred to mute the audio - sure, that can be said about any/all the broadcasts not only in the DLM world but broadcasting in general. Keep up the good work Reuben !

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-25-2023, 05:22 PM
Your boy SS dont make sammiches for his truckstop route anymore?

These youngins these days!

To funny you are! 🤭🤭🤭

Jerky
02-28-2023, 08:23 AM
Jerky is spot on here - two things that I'll add is that seems to be the norm "ontheLucasOilDirtLateModelSeries" as well.

I understand that the sponsors want & have paid and deserve the exposure. (1) Keep it fresh please - 3-5 sponsors per mention & (2) I think most of the viewing crowd knows where each of the drivers is from. For example, adding in that RTJ lived in New Mexico, Arizona, Iowa and now finally has settled in Indiana each time he takes the track has become tiresome.

Overall, Reuben is in a tough spot & is doing well. He's earned & now been given this huge platform, working without a partner to take some of the description load off of him. I enjoy the excitement he brings (at times), the passion for the series and his ability to describe clearly what is happening on the track. Are there times when it's preferred to mute the audio - sure, that can be said about any/all the broadcasts not only in the DLM world but broadcasting in general. Keep up the good work Reuben !

Why thank you. I will say if there's anything a "casual fan" or first timer notices about the drivers when I force them to watch a race with me it's the hometowns, especially on the WoO sprint side. I usually get a "WOW these guys came all the way from California-Texas-Washington-AUSTRALIA?!?! to race here (in Pennsylvania)?!?!?!"