PDA

View Full Version : Wvms

Patansplant
06-02-2023, 08:29 PM
Well this program has been quite the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) show so far.

LM1M
06-02-2023, 08:55 PM
I am all for nostalgia but today's late models were not designed to race on 5/8 mile tracks.

84wedge
06-02-2023, 08:55 PM
4 Cyl on a 5/8 mile track with 8 lap heats is an odd choice.

epjfan
06-02-2023, 09:18 PM
Why did they run all those heat races and then water the track? Couldn’t they run the late models instead of dragging the show along? Lucas has been allowing this kind of crap now for a while. I guess they have to help the track sell a hot dog. Ridiculous!

84wedge
06-02-2023, 09:30 PM
This is like streaming something from EAMS

BTExpress
06-02-2023, 10:30 PM
If I am the owmer/Promoter of WVMS, I am flying to Davenport Iowa on Monday morning and taking measurements of Davenport Speedway and on Tuesday morning I would begin construction of the exact replica inside the massive 5/8ths track.

intel8
06-02-2023, 11:10 PM
The key to Davenports success is the track "prep", Kay's do an excellent job! WVMS is a unique place especially the hillside seating, but that big of a track in today's world is a motor killer.

TBSprintFan
06-03-2023, 03:11 AM
You could probably count all of the passes in the late models on 1 hand, 2 at the most for the whole night. And yes it was ridiculous how long they dragged the night out.

dirtcrazy4u
06-03-2023, 03:56 AM
If I am the owmer/Promoter of WVMS, I am flying to Davenport Iowa on Monday morning and taking measurements of Davenport Speedway and on Tuesday morning I would begin construction of the exact replica inside the massive 5/8ths track.

Why go all the way to Iowa ? Bridgeport speedway in N. J. which used to be a 5/8 got shortened I believe 2 yrs ago. It's revitalized the place, racing has been excellent in both NE mods, big and small block and the sprint car guys put on a excellent show.

A 5/8 track with these cars being so air dependent , if anyone expected anything more than what took place it is never going to happen. Looked like they had a decent crowd, so as long as people show up it will be a sh1t show every time.

Hoosier_Dirt
06-03-2023, 05:41 AM
I thought when they were reopening WVMS that wouldve been the prime time to shorten it. Waaaay too big!

latemodelman
06-03-2023, 07:18 AM
The kicker had to be the mod that went to fast into the infield after qualifying and hit the guardrail lol. He only had from the frontstretch to the middle of the back to slow down. He looked like someone's ex wife when she was pissed coming home is what the announcer said lol.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-03-2023, 07:25 AM
I thought when they were reopening WVMS that wouldve been the prime time to shorten it. Waaaay too big!

I think it was shorter when it had ran last. They restored the 5/8.

GEAR_HEAD
06-03-2023, 09:01 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing last night, but most tracks out this way have never even heard of a disk or rotary harrow so even if they did make a smaller track there would never be a cushion and the track prep would still be horrible.

Pennsboro32
06-03-2023, 09:40 AM
We also don’t have black dirt.

latemodelman
06-03-2023, 09:57 AM
This race is too close to the DREAM and the track is too big put i at a 3/10 mile with banking say 16 degrees in the turns and 6 down the straights and keep it Wide and you would get around 40 to 50 cars for the race not 26 or 24.

Paradox28
06-03-2023, 11:55 AM
My thoughts are that..1. a guy following cannot get close to the lead car because he will be blinded by the roost. 2. They can't get close because of aero on such a fast and flat track. 3. at those speeds, you better not have a soft spot because someone is going to go for a nasty ride so its hard to get a cushion to develop on that kind of track.

84wedge
06-03-2023, 12:50 PM
There were a couple moments last night where you could see a car get into the wake of the one in front and it immediately turned right, especially the Rocket house car. It seems like if they can get their car turned sideways just enough it alleviates the problem, but as soon as that nose gets in turbulence, it's over.

TS FAN
06-03-2023, 02:20 PM
All I know is Ricky has them covered like JD did last year. He should easily win tonight if he doesn't break

chathamracefan
06-03-2023, 03:50 PM
Late models on a 1/2 mile or bigger are not a good product these days. Expect a bunch of follow the leader at eldora next weekend also. They have to fix the car aero rules or this sport will only produce good racing on shorter tracks.

Drop Shock
06-03-2023, 04:39 PM
They can’t prep this track safely. Dust laying everywhere, whoops and washboards down the straightaways. I don’t think the place will ever work but it’s definitely not gonna work without a lot of effort. I don’t there has been a lap turned on the place since this race last year, but they’ve cancelled like 8 races since. Don’t worry the promoter will be on Facebook soon back patting and talking down to drivers who didn’t support him

racingumpire
06-03-2023, 05:19 PM
Late models on a 1/2 mile or bigger are not a good product these days. Expect a bunch of follow the leader at eldora next weekend also. They have to fix the car aero rules or this sport will only produce good racing on shorter tracks.
The only reason the WOO race was close the last few laps was lapped cars especially Cooney in the way.Otherwise if you watched the race the lappers and cautions affected the whole race.Not much passing in late model racing these days. There is a.lot of advancing because of attrition.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-03-2023, 05:31 PM
The only reason the WOO race was close the last few laps was lapped cars especially Cooney in the way.Otherwise if you watched the race the lappers and cautions affected the whole race.Not much passing in late model racing these days. There is a.lot of advancing because of attrition.

It was close because Bronson's car fell off.

84wedge
06-03-2023, 05:54 PM
Dustin Jarret is so full of sh*t. He actually praised track prep and called out people saying "put some water down". By the second hot lap you can't see anything for dust.

KTMLew
06-03-2023, 06:28 PM
Dustin Jarret is so full of sh*t. He actually praised track prep and called out people saying "put some water down". By the second hot lap you can't see anything for dust.

Crazy how that track can look really wet and still be a huge dust cloud in 2 laps. Be surprised if they don't tear up some good equipment tonight.

Hopefully put the nail in the coffin of this place. Just hope nobody gets hurt.

EDERDS
06-03-2023, 06:42 PM
I admire anybody for trying to reopen a track, lots of $$$ have been put into that place, but I wouldn’t walk across the street to watch a race there. Racing is boring and it’s dusty as crap

KTMLew
06-03-2023, 07:04 PM
My guess on why we sitting with our ducks in our hand is, they waiting for sunset so drivers can see. I've had the stream muted so correct me if they mentioned reason for delay.

KTMLew
06-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Otay. I twas wrong. Had some rain & lightning. Not sure if gonna get it in. They gonna do some more hotlaps.

DirtTrackin52
06-03-2023, 07:16 PM
Looks like all that rain helped settle the dust.

Patansplant
06-03-2023, 07:30 PM
Well it is pretty evident that this night is going to be anothe sh1t show. The show must have a big anchor behind it because it itn't going anywhere. Awfule.

KTMLew
06-03-2023, 08:17 PM
Drivers can't see anything on the straights. The roost looks like a powerboat race. Insane.

I'd love to see somebody like McCreadie just say, nope. Load it up in one piece.

KTMLew
06-03-2023, 08:56 PM
Looked like McCreadie & Davenport were having a convo in the hauler. McCreadie's body language tells me he REALLY doesn't want to do this. Still trying to come a frog strangler of a storm.

KTMLew
06-03-2023, 09:12 PM
Rain finally got them. Time to head to Eldora guys.

Buford.Justice
06-03-2023, 09:28 PM

Natures water truck arrived!!!!

KTMLew
06-03-2023, 09:38 PM
https://twitter.com/VisitWVMS/status/1665179500101922816?s=20

West Virginia Motor Speedway
@VisitWVMS
·
26m
We're in a holding pattern as we wait out the rain. Our plan is to get tonight's program in, in its entirety. Please stay patient as we work through the current weather delay.

Thank you.

DennisErbFan
06-03-2023, 10:12 PM
Only 26 cars for $50k?

zyoung25
06-04-2023, 09:03 AM
Natures water truck arrived!!!!

And I read the drivers declined to race on it after that. Who seen that coming? I can't say I blame them. It just seems to happen way to often imo.

Morgs153
06-04-2023, 09:34 AM
I hate seeing rain outs for any track. The work and expense that goes into setting up a show and all the travel costs of the racers plus the ultimate impact on the fans. That being said there probably were drivers who were glad to see it.

I tried watching these races from WVMS on Flo and some of the posters are exactly right. The modern evolution of today's supers just don't belong on big tracks anymore. The actual racing is not even good at all. I quit going to half mile tracks a few years ago because so very few big tracks can actually deliver. But it is getting tougher. The modern wedge car is making it tough.

For sure, a bull ring is no guarantee of a great show if the surface and prep are junk, and a few large tracks still do get it right. But the odds are tilted against the bigger track with the way they've let these cars become, and it ain't just a droop rule that can fix it.

84wedge
06-04-2023, 10:53 AM
During one of the heat races, both Tyler Erb and Tim McCreadie pulled down to the inside of the track and talked to one of the Lucas Oil guys for a while. Erb brought out the caution and there was nothing wrong with his car, he was definitely saying something about the track.

Pennsboro32
06-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Pretty spot on post Morgs. You’re clearly one of the few who sees that it’s a car/aero/wedge/technology problem. I’ve said that since they opened.

WVMS has never raced great but they also never had a problem drawing cars until the sport took a turn for the worse.

Now you have prima donnas who wanted it slow and slick but wont race on it cause it’s dusty, and also wont race on it if it’s too fast and hammer down. Promoter is fighting a losing battle. The inmates ran the asylum last night.

Barbecueboy
06-04-2023, 11:35 AM
Cut terrace seating into the big track and put a smaller one inside of it is about the only way I see them filling that place up with supers again…I applaud the hell out of the folks trying to make it work there and love West Virginia racing in general but todays supers are just life size slot cars around the big track anymore imo.

KTMLew
06-04-2023, 02:18 PM
My guess is those primadonnas didn't want to kill a $100K plus car/motor and maybe get hurt? But it's easy to spend others money. That track should have been converted into a strip mall 20 years ago. It sucks.

Drop Shock
06-04-2023, 02:27 PM
Best thing these clowns that run this place could do is take a trip to Eldora or Port Royal or Knoxville. Their favorite thing to do is point out how hard all those places are on motors and how those track get big car counts but WVMS can’t get the same support. The reason those big tracks can get support is because they have consistent and SAFE track prep. They didn’t cut the grass off mineral wells until last week. They Never turn it over with a grader, they just roll out there, water it poorly and run it in with pick up trucks. Blaming the primadonna racers is comical. Place is done, stick a fork in it and head on back to Tyler county

Highside Hustler25
06-04-2023, 02:39 PM
They stuck a fork in it years ago but someone thought it needed to be reborn. Short memory evidently on someone's part.

Pennsboro32
06-04-2023, 03:35 PM
KTM. You know nothing about the events that transpired yesterday evening.

The drivers wanted it dry and slow. They got what they wanted until they couldn’t see. Then Mother Nature gave them water, they didn’t want to run on a hammer down track either. If this was a professional sports team that walked onto the field and decided not to play you’d be up in arms.

You fail to see the entire picture here, it came down to not wanting to ruin a car before going to Eldora. Getting hurt? Because that hasn’t happened at Eldora, right? Nobody made them show up, they knew the schedule when they signed up. The same guys who were mad that they didn’t get to race on Bellevilles big track the second night of an XR race last year are complaining about WVMS. Hilarious.

Josh Bayko
06-04-2023, 03:52 PM
It was a mistake to reopen it as the big track. Yeah, the previous attempt to shorten it was a mess, but carving out a 3/8 or 4/10 centered on the seating similar to Bridgeport would have been the better play.

KTMLew
06-04-2023, 05:58 PM
Rebooting WVMS is about as smart as rebooting Pennsboro. Oh wait? They gonna try that too. Neither track EVER had competitive racing. EVER.

I was involved in moving everything from Hitman's SLM to a different chassis after a trip to Mineral Wells. Killed a car there. Pulled the threads out of the bungs at the RF upper arm. HUGE hit.

I hate that track. You won't convince anyone how great it is/was. It ALWAYS sucked.

Check my Twitter feed. Was live tweeting what I thought was happening. Nailed it too.

Pennsboro32
06-04-2023, 06:13 PM
Rebooting WVMS is about as smart as rebooting Pennsboro. Oh wait? They gonna try that too. Neither track EVER had competitive racing. EVER.

I was involved in moving everything from Hitman's SLM to a different chassis after a trip to Mineral Wells. Killed a car there. Pulled the threads out of the bungs at the RF upper arm. HUGE hit.

I hate that track. You won't convince anyone how great it is/was. It ALWAYS sucked.

Check my Twitter feed. Was live tweeting what I thought was happening. Nailed it too.

My argument had nothing to do with the racing being competitive. I know it’s not. But that’s not what we’re arguing.

KTMLew
06-04-2023, 06:44 PM
Ok then? What ARE we arguing about? I have no idea. But i'm winning!

KTMLew
06-04-2023, 07:57 PM
I assume the teams are kinda required to race wherever Lucas decides to go? I mean...if 25 teams didn't show, what could Lucas do?

KTMLew
06-04-2023, 08:59 PM
https://twitter.com/ktmlew/status/1665176584532140036?s=20

@ktmlew
·
23h
@lucasdirt
I won't be at all surprised if the drivers decide to pull the plug on this deal tonight.

Highside Hustler25
06-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Lol, looks like someone's starving for attention.

t3r3e3
06-05-2023, 10:08 AM

Or Fairbury, or Tri County, or Tri State, or Lawrenceburg, about 30 others. The 5/8 mile layout is a novelty act that produces poor action and limits local participation. Ohio Valley, Skyline, and Tyler are all better tracks with better car counts. The car counts will suffer until the layout improves. Some better track prep and better dirt would help.

JustAddDirt
06-05-2023, 10:17 AM
That dirt is topsoil, not good clay. reminds me of a lot of Ohio tracks. Or it is a funky clay but that peels off and is dusty as can be. Portsmouth, Souther Ohio Speedway, Brushcreek, Moler, Atomic are all very similar.
from what I have seen Tyler County is a lot like that too. Dusty when it looks like it should not be, it's just the dirt in that general area is not good for racing on, doesn't much matter the size of track.

Jerky
06-05-2023, 10:30 AM
PPMS is dang near the same size (shorter straights but more sweeping turns) and almost always produces great racing in addition to big track speed. I can't ever remember a GREAT race at WVMS or Pennsboro going back to the 80s. Has nothing to do with aero, tech, etc. All about track layout and prep.

KTMLew
06-05-2023, 10:58 AM
Lol, looks like someone's starving for attention.

Wasn't my intent. Was accused of not knowing what was happening at the track. I have eyes. Was pretty obvious what was brewing.

Pennsboro32
06-05-2023, 11:30 AM
PPMS is dang near the same size (shorter straights but more sweeping turns) and almost always produces great racing in addition to big track speed. I can't ever remember a GREAT race at WVMS or Pennsboro going back to the 80s. Has nothing to do with aero, tech, etc. All about track layout and prep.

Correct me if I’m wrong but PPMS is pretty much done running supers too right?

Josh Bayko
06-05-2023, 11:57 AM
PPMS runs supers exactly once a year.

Pennsboro32
06-05-2023, 12:05 PM
That’s my point. It’s not even about how good the racing is. It’s the fact that drivers won’t race on big tracks anymore because the class has gotten out of hand. Knoxville is next, the crying has been going on there the past two nationals. Before too long the only big track left will be Port and Eldora if you consider it big.

Josh Bayko
06-05-2023, 01:13 PM
WVMS is hurt by the fact that all of the tracks around it are 1/4 miles with lower budget racers. That impacts the car counts more than anything, because local/regional drivers are the guys that fill fields. It was a very curious decision to reopen it as the big track.

PPMS’ fields shrunk for years before they dropped supers. The track’s size plays into that, but there are is a fair amount of competition in the area on Saturday nights. That hurt them too.

dirtcrazy4u
06-06-2023, 05:11 AM
PPMS. At one time it was a premier race track. The Miley's kept doing patch work on everything on property, including track prep and purses. It took big HP to be competitive there. No one has ever to my knowledge made a seious attempt to buy the place because of the amount of money it would take to make all the necessary repairs. It's been reported this will be the final season, I'm not sure who is even running the place anymore, that was red miley's baby, now with the passing of Matt Miley the only interest the family has is selling it.

bleedblue55
06-06-2023, 06:38 AM
PPMS. At one time it was a premier race track. The Miley's kept doing patch work on everything on property, including track prep and purses. It took big HP to be competitive there. No one has ever to my knowledge made a seious attempt to buy the place because of the amount of money it would take to make all the necessary repairs. It's been reported this will be the final season, I'm not sure who is even running the place anymore, that was red miley's baby, now with the passing of Matt Miley the only interest the family has is selling it.
Selling PPMS was Matt's only interest too, thats why it steadily went down hill. Seen a lot of big races there in my days, hate to see it go.

Jerky
06-06-2023, 07:38 AM
Yes, PPMS only races supers one night a year. Which is one night more than WVMS and Pennsboro this year lol.

Some people don't realize that PPMS is just Heidelburg raceway rebuilt. So most of the infrastructure (stands, lights, scoreboard etc) are from the 1950s/1960s. I haven't been there in several years but the place always had great racing. If you don't mind the old school amenities I recommend checking it out while you still can. The Mileys leased the place for years so didn't want to spend the $ on improvements (what renter in their right mind would?) by the time they owned it outright it had been neglected for years.

Pennsboro32
06-06-2023, 07:48 AM
Yes, PPMS only races supers one night a year. Which is one night more than WVMS and Pennsboro this year lol.

Some people don't realize that PPMS is just Heidelburg raceway rebuilt. So most of the infrastructure (stands, lights, scoreboard etc) are from the 1950s/1960s. I haven't been there in several years but the place always had great racing. If you don't mind the old school amenities I recommend checking it out while you still can. The Mileys leased the place for years so didn't want to spend the $ on improvements (what renter in their right mind would?) by the time they owned it outright it had been neglected for years.

WVMS ran Friday night, if PPMS only races 1 night a year, that would be 1-1.

Jerky
06-06-2023, 08:02 AM
Fair enough. PPMS has two nights scheduled.

Josh Bayko
06-06-2023, 08:16 AM
The Mileys have had strong offers from people who planned to keep it open as a track and have always turned them down. They do want to sell it, but they want UPMC money, not racer money.

Paradox28
06-06-2023, 10:49 AM
I'd rather watch anything 3/8s or less and preferably 1/4 mile-ish tracks vs. any track 1/2 or bigger..no matter their name. I want traffic and close racing and no getting away and all that goes with that.

Dlmfan123
06-07-2023, 05:16 PM
Historic 100 has been cancelled. Info is on the Lucas website

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-07-2023, 07:56 PM
Historic 100 has been cancelled. Info is on the Lucas website

That should close it back down.

zer018
06-07-2023, 08:17 PM
That should close it back down.

The proverbial nail in the coffin!

Jerky
06-08-2023, 03:31 PM
This is my shocked face.

Fast Wheels
06-08-2023, 04:03 PM
This is the end of WVMS until the next promoter with big dreams comes along. This track was the end of BDS years ago after they were success at Tyler. History repeats itself. Crazy the promoter got out of Ohio Valley and continued this disaster.

It’s an awful track and always has been. The ones that built it knew nothing about racing. The facility was nice in the 80s when it was built but nothing special now. Remember when it self watered?

nc mudcat
06-09-2023, 06:08 AM
Is it simply a tax write-off? No one could think they will make that place work.

Buford.Justice
06-10-2023, 05:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfSfcEGx_AY

Looks like Thornton was able to pass 2 cars in one lap about midway. On a very dusty track that was actually still pretty fast. One caution all night heats included for the late models. Track turns were pretty smooth and I didn't see any motors going up in smoke on this supposed engine eater. The track needs a lot of good clay and better lighting more than anything.

But it does appear to be just a tax write off.