PDA

View Full Version : What does RTJ got?

Rajflyboy
08-19-2023, 06:09 AM
What do these folks have in that car? Whatever it is I want it 😁

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-19-2023, 07:44 AM
What do these folks have in that car? Whatever it is I want it 

A young man who can outdrive anybody with patients through self control, a hell bent for leather display of whoop ass and huge appetite to win with class.

CILDirt
08-19-2023, 10:56 AM
Thought I heard something about them running an older Longhorn package. To me it looks like his car acts more like a modified on entry/center and is much more stuck on exit than everybody else…except maybe the 32. Bobby looks like he is back in the old Pierce cars. Their package looks very similar to what he liked in the Pierce and he obviously has a ton of speed.

Pennsboro32
08-19-2023, 11:13 AM
They obviously have something besides the fact that he’s getting to be more experienced in the SLM. He’s as talented as they come and he’s just now starting to hit his stride. But even with all that, you don’t dominate a season like this on talent alone, there’s too many other talented guys in the sport for that to happen.

mskdorf
08-19-2023, 11:19 AM
Patients? Crack me up

Pennsboro32
08-19-2023, 11:31 AM
Patients? Crack me up

Call him the doctor, cause he’s got patients.

Josh Bayko
08-19-2023, 11:31 AM
He honed his talents on cars with way less downforce and tire. He now has downforce and tire, and they’ve figured out exactly what he wants in a car as far as setup.

84wedge
08-19-2023, 11:48 AM
Sometimes he gets momentum built up or makes some great move for a pass and I just laugh.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-19-2023, 12:12 PM
They have some sort of mechanical advantage and they've managed to keep it quiet better than people usually do. Most teams have loose lips guys and most smart people eventually want to take a victory lap and show everyone how smart they are.

RTJ is not that much better than the other guys. The cars are way too easy to drive these days for some sort of talent to separate to that degree.

What Bayko says about starting in mods is valid, but it only got guys like Strickler so far.

klemmabyna
08-19-2023, 12:14 PM
Besides natural talent... I think a lot of it is he raced for a living in divisions that don't pay nearly as well. You learn what to do to a car to make it go fast. And you learn replacing torn up racecars is the quickest way to go broke.

Throw in Anthony Burroughs and this race team seems set up for long term success.

JMO

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-19-2023, 12:16 PM
Besides natural talent... I think a lot of it is he raced for a living in divisions that don't pay nearly as well. You learn what to do to a car to make it go fast. And you learn replacing torn up racecars is the quickest way to go broke.

Throw in Anthony Burroughs and this race team seems set up for long term success.

JMO

Burroughs was considered a bum not too long ago. Funny how truth changes so quickly in sports.

klemmabyna
08-19-2023, 12:33 PM
Burroughs was considered a bum not too long ago. Funny how truth changes so quickly in sports.

why was that? he is looking like a guru now!

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-19-2023, 12:40 PM
Call him the doctor, cause he’s got patients.

Sorry, we're not excepting Karen's right now. Please call us back...

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-19-2023, 12:42 PM
Patients? Crack me up

What the hell? The op won't know the difference lol.

Pennsboro32
08-19-2023, 01:21 PM
Sorry, we're not excepting Karen's right now. Please call us back...

But will you accept them?? Laugh

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-19-2023, 01:36 PM
why was that? he is looking like a guru now!

Wrenching on Bowyer cars that were going nowhere.

klemmabyna
08-19-2023, 01:52 PM

as much as i enjoyed clint those teams never fulfilled expectations.

Buford.Justice
08-19-2023, 02:12 PM
Doctors don't take care of patience. Just patients.

KTMLew
08-19-2023, 02:13 PM
as much as i enjoyed clint those teams never fulfilled expectations.

What became of that equipment? Assume it was sold? Longhorns or Rockets? I don't remember.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-19-2023, 02:20 PM
But will you accept them?? Laugh

Every 3rd Saterday accept in Augest and Febuary.

Dlmfan123
08-19-2023, 02:22 PM
What became of that equipment? Assume it was sold? Longhorns or Rockets? I don't remember.The last year they ran with Josh they had rockets. Last I heard they still had motors and a hauler

Highside Hustler25
08-19-2023, 02:33 PM
Doctors don't take care of patience. Just patients.

Call it what you want. Ricky had it in full display last night. I had to laugh when he decided to go. 3rd to 1st in one lap.

Buford.Justice
08-19-2023, 04:40 PM
I'm glad he has came along and taken the limelight away from JD and others.

stock car driver
08-19-2023, 07:04 PM
RTJ is unbelievably talented (he can get in other peoples random cars and win regularly) and used to being his own mechanic, so he knows what he wants and it prob took a little time to find it. He will not be a one and done season of domination you can take that to the bank.

GrocMax
08-20-2023, 12:53 AM
All he needed was to get with the right people for him. Him and wifey were kicking ass and taking names by themselves in the modified world at a very high level across several sanctioning bodies with about a third of the budget the rest of them had. No surprise to me at all that their level of success is that high these days.

Henry Every
08-20-2023, 12:04 PM
What do these folks have in that car? Whatever it is I want it  He's at the intersection of talent, hard work, equipment and support. Essentially he's in the zone, but next year it may be someone else, like 2015 was JD or 2021 was Overton or when Bloomquist and Madden reunited a few years back. I dont think its any one thing, but In the words of Crash Davis, "You never Fark with the streak, because they don't come around that often."

Josh Bayko
08-20-2023, 01:18 PM
They have some sort of mechanical advantage and they've managed to keep it quiet better than people usually do. Most teams have loose lips guys and most smart people eventually want to take a victory lap and show everyone how smart they are.

RTJ is not that much better than the other guys. The cars are way too easy to drive these days for some sort of talent to separate to that degree.

What Bayko says about starting in mods is valid, but it only got guys like Strickler so far.

RTJ is much better than Strickler even in mods.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-20-2023, 03:42 PM

He is. But he's not a transcendent phenom either.

Drop Shock
08-20-2023, 07:07 PM
He is. But he's not a transcendent phenom either.

Agreed. Guys like Pierce, RTJ, TMac and JD are probably the top tier as far as versatile drivers, but in my opinion there are 30-40 guys that are good enough to win a Lucas level race. The ones winning got the best overall package

JustAddDirt
08-21-2023, 07:33 AM
To me, and another poster mentioned it kind of resembling a modified on corner entry and exit, I am wondering if they might have put a pull bar on it instead of using the lift-arm 5th coil. Just use the lift arm for the decel-6th coil.
Just a thought??!!

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-21-2023, 07:48 AM
Agreed. Guys like Pierce, RTJ, TMac and JD are probably the top tier as far as versatile drivers, but in my opinion there are 30-40 guys that are good enough to win a Lucas level race. The ones winning got the best overall package

Agree, but I think there's way more drivers capable than that. The limiting factor is the number of teams capable.

zyoung25
08-21-2023, 10:36 AM
To me, and another poster mentioned it kind of resembling a modified on corner entry and exit, I am wondering if they might have put a pull bar on it instead of using the lift-arm 5th coil. Just use the lift arm for the decel-6th coil.
Just a thought??!!

If that's what they have done, it will be added to the rule book next year.

crownman25
08-22-2023, 02:59 PM
Well ,HIS CREW CHIEF IS FROM THE SLICK TRACK SOUTH!THEY HAVE HIT OM SOMETHING YOU CANT SEE PLUS THEY MUST NOT HAVE ANY LOOSE LIPS LOL...

crownman25
08-22-2023, 03:00 PM
When is clint boyer gonna make a come back?Hell clint drive them yourself...

crownman25
08-22-2023, 03:03 PM
they might have one of those lr springs that starts out stiff and gets soft,What ya thank bbq boy?

Barbecueboy
08-22-2023, 03:20 PM

Much better….and a much better head on his shoulders.

Raceready
08-22-2023, 03:51 PM
All he needed was to get with the right people for him. Him and wifey were kicking ass and taking names by themselves in the modified world at a very high level across several sanctioning bodies with about a third of the budget the rest of them had. No surprise to me at all that their level of success is that high these days.That tells me that Nick Hoffman is going to have a breakout year then in the future ? ?

Mod Runner
08-23-2023, 03:39 AM
Once Hoffman is done experimenting , watch out ! He has looked really impressive at some tracks.

wfodirt66
08-24-2023, 10:26 PM
stickler was and is wayyyyyyy over rated he was good in a mod, but not great, no where near the level of RTJ

pushin cushin
08-25-2023, 02:26 AM
He has equal equipment, solid-solid crew chief, and no longer seeing tracks for the first time.

Pennsboro32
08-25-2023, 09:16 AM
He has equal equipment, solid-solid crew chief, and no longer seeing tracks for the first time.

Theres more to it than just that. You don’t dominate like this on talent alone.

ZERO25
08-25-2023, 03:13 PM
Rumley aint the only "gadget man"!

84wedge
08-25-2023, 03:25 PM
Near the end of the race, he was going in and out of the corners like he wasn't even lifting the throttle. The front left was coming up like an old Mastersbilt.

MIdlmfan
08-25-2023, 03:57 PM
He’s got something going … Gomer Pyle is awfully good but like the PDC he was in sixth and went to first in a handful of laps and then won by six seconds … you just don’t say that

Pennsboro32
08-25-2023, 04:08 PM
Speaking of the device. DirtonDirt has a road to eldora piece up with Rumley talking about the device.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-25-2023, 04:28 PM
Rumley aint the only "gadget man"!

He's the only one who seemed to be able to put jd on the map.

wfodirt66
08-25-2023, 05:30 PM
What does RTJ got?a big head, thats what he's got

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-25-2023, 05:38 PM

Big or small, its on tight. Can't say that about your boy bobby. L!!

KTMLew
08-25-2023, 07:11 PM

Should be an aerodynamic disadvantage?

wreck
08-25-2023, 10:58 PM
Ricky's car sits different from center off. Like 84wedge said, it rides like a 20 year old car rolled over hard on the right rear, and the body is pushed way over past the tire, more so than other cars.

CILDirt
08-26-2023, 09:56 AM
Ricky's car sits different from center off. Like 84wedge said, it rides like a 20 year old car rolled over hard on the right rear, and the body is pushed way over past the tire, more so than other cars.Like I mentioned earlier….it drives like a modified coming off the corners.

skippydoo10
08-26-2023, 06:01 PM
Could RTJ be using a left side panhard bar?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-26-2023, 07:09 PM
Could RTJ be using a left side panhard bar?

Not likely as that is horrible for suspension compliance. People are asking less of the panhard bar, not more. The panhard bar defeats your suspension when it's holding the car up.

Josh Bayko
08-26-2023, 09:01 PM
Not likely as that is horrible for suspension compliance. People are asking less of the panhard bar, not more. The panhard bar defeats your suspension when it's holding the car up.

Left side panhard and coil setups are the hot ticket in northeastern style modified racing. They are radically different than late models. This dude is confused.

t4g2
08-26-2023, 09:54 PM
Expensive night for rtjs team lost 2 motors 100k down the drains

t3r3e3
08-26-2023, 09:55 PM

CBR made Davenport look like a bum too. That team was the epitome of underachievement. O’ Neal won a championship but it wasn’t a dominant season. Bowyer’s team made a lot of (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good drivers look average.

Pennsboro32
08-26-2023, 09:57 PM
RTJ was so much faster than the other cars before his bad luck.

t3r3e3
08-26-2023, 09:58 PM
He's the only one who seemed to be able to put jd on the map.

This comment is just plain wrong. Davenport won with Barry Wright. He won with Rumley. He’s won with Landers. Hell, he made Guard Rail’s team relevant. The only team Davenport didn’t run well with was CBR, but neither did anyone else really…

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-26-2023, 10:18 PM
t3r3d3...

No sir, you're wrong. I'm sure jd won many races as you speak of but only did he show up on the national radar ("on the map") and known for winning big races, is when Rumley put him there.

ImCryn2
08-27-2023, 08:42 AM
t3r3d3...

No sir, you're wrong. I'm sure jd won many races as you speak of but only did he show up on the national radar ("on the map") and known for winning big races, is when Rumley put him there.

Not a whole lot of people (outside his area) knew who Rumley was either, until him and JD started winning...

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-27-2023, 08:57 AM
^ I never said jd didn't have a good following prior to Rumley.

formercrewguy
08-27-2023, 01:02 PM

What he said^^^^^^^^.

Henry Every
08-27-2023, 01:13 PM
He's the only one who seemed to be able to put jd on the map. Wrong, you just weren't paying attention. The gadget gets too much credit, as does Rumley. Sure KR is smart, but he's not the only one. Rumley was racing long before JD sat in his car, where was the success then? And remind me, how many Lucas titles does JD have now, since 2015? Bowyer's organization was a joke with too much money and bad help.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-27-2023, 01:33 PM
What success did he have before Rumley? Just curious...

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-27-2023, 01:59 PM
What success did he have before Rumley? Just curious...

Lots of regional success

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-27-2023, 02:00 PM
Wrong, you just weren't paying attention. The gadget gets too much credit, as does Rumley. Sure KR is smart, but he's not the only one. Rumley was racing long before JD sat in his car, where was the success then? And remind me, how many Lucas titles does JD have now, since 2015? Bowyer's organization was a joke with too much money and bad help.

One of those bad helpers has crew chief 16 Lucas wins this year

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-27-2023, 02:05 PM
Lots of regional success

So did lots of others....

MIdlmfan
08-27-2023, 04:44 PM
face it ... there was no device ... after seeing that interview I am sure of it

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-27-2023, 04:54 PM

I'm sure you're right, by the denialists lol.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-27-2023, 05:14 PM

Rules Makers sure wasted their time, even worse than I thought. Lol

ImCryn2
08-27-2023, 07:48 PM
One of those bad helpers has crew chief 16 Lucas wins this year

He has a good notebook of what doesn't work from his days at Bowyer & Stuckey. LOL

zyoung25
08-27-2023, 07:54 PM
Wrong, you just weren't paying attention. The gadget gets too much credit, as does Rumley. Sure KR is smart, but he's not the only one. Rumley was racing long before JD sat in his car, where was the success then? And remind me, how many Lucas titles does JD have now, since 2015? Bowyer's organization was a joke with too much money and bad help.

Some people forget JD drove that same car in 09. I think JD being in the Barry Wright house car after that is probably what got him on the map. They didn't chase a tour, they just won a bunch of races though.

MIdlmfan
08-27-2023, 08:20 PM
I'm sure you're right, by the denialists lol.So he didn’t say what it addressed he didn’t say how it worked but he’s going to show it to you … right! I will have to look at the pics closer but I don’t think there were any degrees of freedom in the mechanism … Decouple the left rear? Yeah so aerodynamic forces can shove it down without any support and lose all downforce … I think Kevin is really good at playing mind games … as a degreed mechanical engineer and a masters in electrical engineer when I started watching it I thought maybe it was a mechanism to eliminate some of the higher order harmonics the tire sees to keep it on the ground more consistently but I highly doubt that

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-28-2023, 03:50 AM
This thread is the first time I've ever heard that Rumley was some kind of mind games master. A real engineer would base his analysis on real data. He'd watch video frame by frame. He'd study pictures. He'd study lap times. An engineer is not a study of language, body or verbal.

Higher order harmonics? That's funny. The fruit hangs much lower than that.