PDA

View Full Version : Batesville Topless

Hoosier_Dirt
08-20-2023, 07:25 AM
Why does Lucas or any series for that matter keep going to that dump. Ive seen maybe 1 good race there in 30 + years. SMH! Always locks down.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-20-2023, 07:54 AM
You mean this has actually been called a race at one time? I always thought it was a high speed perade for the stars in their cars...

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-20-2023, 07:59 AM
They should move it to Eldora.

Hoosier_Dirt
08-20-2023, 10:15 AM
Eldora has enough, plus their races usually suck. I was thinking more like Wheatland or even Legit (West Plains). Anything would be better than Batesville. They never even attempted any type track prep b4 feature.

GEAR_HEAD
08-20-2023, 10:40 AM
It's all about holding the fans hostage to sell more hot dogs. When they treat the late models like a support division and run their feature last they couldn't have made it any more obvious that the promoter didn't care if the track locked down or not. If they did care they would have kept as many laps as possible off of the track before the late model feature. Or just put more effort into track prep.

For a while the Lucas series was leading the effort to force tracks to run the late model feature first to make sure that this doesn't happen. I wonder why they're now running their shows like UMP and letting tracks hold everybody hostage and make sure that the track sucks as much as possible for the race that everybody came to see.

Pennsboro32
08-20-2023, 10:49 AM
There are so many good race tracks in America that it’s a shame some of our Crown Jewels are held at garbage race tracks.

427c.i.
08-20-2023, 11:21 AM
Here’s my pet peace about these Crown Jewel events:

Support classes that ruin the show by not being able to run more than 3 consecutive laps without a caution and promoters that refuse to realize that in the modern day of streaming, your “Crown Jewel” needs to be ran in prime time… not starting at 10:30pm. You’ve spent multiple days leading up to your big race… run it at 9pm local time.

Maybe last nights show would have been better if there was an hour of track prep vs. an hour on modified b mains. Just sayin’

MEE
08-20-2023, 11:23 AM
It's all about holding the fans hostage to sell more hot dogs. When they treat the late models like a support division and run their feature last they couldn't have made it any more obvious that the promoter didn't care if the track locked down or not. If they did care they would have kept as many laps as possible off of the track before the late model feature. Or just put more effort into track prep.For a while the Lucas series was leading the effort to force tracks to run the late model feature first to make sure that this doesn't happen. I wonder why they're now running their shows like UMP and letting tracks hold everybody hostage and make sure that the track sucks as much as possible for the race that everybody came to see.Was not like this before the partnership with Flo.

Pennsboro32
08-20-2023, 11:30 AM
^

Good point, the timing of these main events should not start so late. I understand promoters wanting to sell every hot dog they can but how can you expect kids to want to stay and watch the features? I was at home and didn’t even stay up to watch the SLM feature. Heat races for mods didn’t start until after 9pm eastern, unacceptable.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-20-2023, 11:33 AM
It started sucking before flo. Take it somewhere other then this dump or sht can it all together.

Congrats to Mr. McDowell on getting to the front of the train when he did.

Henry Every
08-20-2023, 11:55 AM
Congrats to McDowell and crew!

zyoung25
08-20-2023, 12:04 PM
The format for this race was terrible from the get go IMO. You basically had a normal Lucas race night Friday, and two b's and the feature on Saturday. I would not pay to go just for Saturday alone. I would much rather just see a one shot deal on Saturday and be done with it if it's going to continue to be like this. Having one prelim night and not splitting the field is useless. We seen the same guys start upfront both nights. It just put more laps on the track that clearly wasn't needed. No more than they had on the card for last night, they should've been done way earlier than they were.

It was nice seeing someone like Dale win though. That was about the only positive thing to come out of last night for me.

84wedge
08-20-2023, 12:20 PM
I can't believe Landers just left his car on the track. Talk about unprofessional.

klemmabyna
08-20-2023, 12:33 PM
Congrats to McDowell and crew!

Exactly! Dale gets respect for how he goes about his business, but his career has been one of the best of all time. Underrated in my opinion.

Jking24
08-20-2023, 12:49 PM
I can't believe Landers just left his car on the track. Talk about unprofessional.Last I checked he's not a professional. This is his one and done for the year. He was never known for his good temperment

84wedge
08-20-2023, 01:12 PM
Last I checked he's not a professional. This is his one and done for the year. He was never known for his good tempermentToo bad cause he's a good driver.

over4T
08-20-2023, 02:07 PM
Should have been made to load it up after his terrible twos' tantrum and/or gotten a spanking. Spoiled brat.

Raceready
08-20-2023, 02:22 PM
Last I checked he's not a professional. This is his one and done for the year. He was never known for his good tempermentWhat did he do? Run his mouth? ?

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-20-2023, 02:39 PM
What did he do? Run his mouth? ?

Now when have you heard him run his mouth? Lol...

Raceready
08-20-2023, 03:06 PM
now when have you heard him run his mouth? Lol...never ! ! !

Snake X3
08-20-2023, 03:46 PM
Jared Landers will forever be a hero of mine for trying to take out Josh Richards at Eldora, up until that point, wasn't even close.

The track and the format is an embarrassment. You have to feel bad for the people of Batesville that only have that one big show for SLMs and this is what they get. Obviously the fans are great because they turn out for this cluster. They deserve better. I have a feeling that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Either it will be fixed or it will be moved.

Really happy for Dale. As someone else said, even as great as he is, he is under-rated.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-20-2023, 03:57 PM
Eldora has enough, plus their races usually suck. I was thinking more like Wheatland or even Legit (West Plains). Anything would be better than Batesville. They never even attempted any type track prep b4 feature.

That was me being an azz. They had enough BEFORE the dtwc.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-20-2023, 03:59 PM
Jared Landers will forever be a hero of mine for trying to take out Josh Richards at Eldora, up until that point, wasn't even close.

The track and the format is an embarrassment. You have to feel bad for the people of Batesville that only have that one big show for SLMs and this is what they get. Obviously the fans are great because they turn out for this cluster. They deserve better. I have a feeling that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Either it will be fixed or it will be moved.

Really happy for Dale. As someone else said, even as great as he is, he is under-rated.

Does the race not belong to the track?

KTMLew
08-20-2023, 04:21 PM
What did he do? Run his mouth? ?

Throttle hung wide-open both nights. Second time he was ready to just walk home. I don't blame him. No excuse for that TWICE!

JimBo
08-20-2023, 04:25 PM
The Topless 100 was the idea of track promoter Mooney Starr first ran in the early 90’s. It wasn’t sanctioned by Lucas until 2006. Mooney Starr was the originator of the MARS Late Model series.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-20-2023, 06:14 PM
Throttle hung wide-open both nights. Second time he was ready to just walk home. I don't blame him. No excuse for that TWICE!

He's not capable of working on the car? He's there running one race, in a family owned car. He's not carrying his helmet to Bowyers hauler to race.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-20-2023, 06:47 PM
Too bad cause he's a good driver.

I agree but, that hard flip at tri city took a lot out of him.

https://youtu.be/vpCdkV-ByQ0

riddle28
08-21-2023, 06:19 AM
it might lock down a good bit but that race has had alot of good finishes. landers winning on sunday, chris brown leading 80 something laps and babb getting by, moyer putting it in the wall with like 3 to go for the lead a few years ago, the day race from maybe 2017 i believe terry phillips won, oneal and JD 2 years ago. theres been better 100 lappers there in the last 15 years than eldora

Jking24
08-21-2023, 09:07 AM
Too bad cause he's a good driver.He is and he was on the cusp of being really good when he left the sport

Flathead
08-21-2023, 11:48 AM
I think the way he acted when he got out of the car Saturday night pretty much sums up why he isn’t racing full time anymore. I mean according to everyone on 4M daddy has enough money to field 3-4 teams with the best of the best crew members so we all know money isn’t the issue.

zyoung25
08-21-2023, 12:51 PM
I don't think Jared has the desire to race anymore than he does. I've seen comments saying the car is basically his and he can take it wherever he wants whenever he wants. The car has been sitting in the shop since February.

TowerView
08-21-2023, 01:25 PM
I don't think Jared has the desire to race anymore than he does. I've seen comments saying the car is basically his and he can take it wherever he wants whenever he wants. The car has been sitting in the shop since February.

They had plans to run the Show-Me 100, but had some things come up.

Raceready
08-21-2023, 02:43 PM
Jared Landers will forever be a hero of mine for trying to take out Josh Richards at Eldora, up until that point, wasn't even close.The track and the format is an embarrassment. You have to feel bad for the people of Batesville that only have that one big show for SLMs and this is what they get. Obviously the fans are great because they turn out for this cluster. They deserve better. I have a feeling that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Either it will be fixed or it will be moved. Really happy for Dale. As someone else said, even as great as he is, he is under-rated.If it is true that he may of lost interest in the sport then maybe he ended up like they say Josh Richards did ? ?

Barbecueboy
08-21-2023, 02:54 PM

Dale McDowell is certainly worthy of Much Much more attention and chatter than he gets as being one of the best ever to strap in the car……top it off that he is as classy as they come while beating peoples brains in on the track and he’s easily in my mind one of the top 5 to do it in the modern era.

Buford.Justice
08-21-2023, 03:41 PM

What did he do? Throw it out of gear and let it roar? Motor kill switch?

dirtcrazy4u
08-21-2023, 03:42 PM
Jared was going to be one of the top lucas drivers before the accident. Then the family deal and something changed. As for the throttle hanging wide open twice, I would have got it stopped and walked away to.

KTMLew
08-21-2023, 05:52 PM
Jared was going to be one of the top lucas drivers before the accident. Then the family deal and something changed. As for the throttle hanging wide open twice, I would have got it stopped and walked away to.

Having a hung throttle once is bad enough but stuff happens. Not being able to fix the problem in 24 hours is inexcusable. Appeared as though, when his brother got to the car, it was STILL stuck. He removed the hood and did some serious yanking and tugging before putting hood back on.

KTMLew
08-21-2023, 05:54 PM
What did he do? Throw it out of gear and let it roar? Motor kill switch?

Appeared to shut it off after doing a 360 during second incident.

Snake X3
08-23-2023, 06:42 AM
Does the race not belong to the track?

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you are asking.

zyoung25
08-23-2023, 06:57 AM
I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you are asking.

The race won't be moved because the owner of the track also promotes the race.

Jking24
08-23-2023, 08:40 AM
I agree but, that hard flip at tri city took a lot out of him.https://youtu.be/vpCdkV-ByQ0I disagree he was fine after the wreck it wasn't until him and his dad had their falling out or whatever it was that happened that he changed.

drich24
08-23-2023, 08:48 AM
The question shouldn’t be whether the Topless should be moved to another track.

IMO the question is why does a “national” series awarding points continue to race at a track that consistently locks down? I agree with Overton, nothing worse than traveling and spending money knowing a track has maybe 30 laps before it locks down.

We always hear that the series turns down other venues because of lack of available dates. Why not stop sanctioning this and going somewhere else?

Pennsboro32
08-23-2023, 08:56 AM
^ Because the fans pack the place and it's a money maker.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-23-2023, 09:29 AM
I disagree he was fine after the wreck it wasn't until him and his dad had their falling out or whatever it was that happened that he changed.

What ever it was? Ok, lol. He got jd vs a kid with complications from that crash. Yes the old man sold him short but that's show buz..

Highside Hustler25
08-23-2023, 09:29 AM
Must be a Arkansas thing.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-23-2023, 09:34 AM
Must be a Arkansas thing.

Oh, you mean like.. Southern Hush Puppies, Arkansas Possum Pie, and Southern Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy?

Flathead
08-23-2023, 12:12 PM
In all honesty I think the racing surface would be better if they’d move it from the 3rd weekend in August but that’s when the topless has always been. Batesville has some shows in the spring and the fall that can put on some of the best races you’ll see.

AllenK
08-23-2023, 12:23 PM
My wife and I attended every Topless 100 from the first one until 2003 except for 2001 when a cousin of mine got married in Texas.

For various reasons that was the last time we've been to Batesville. With the exception of the 1996 race that Bill Frye won,none of the Topless 100 races were anything to write home about. Went to a MARS race or two that were pretty good,but can't say I've lost any sleep over not having gone up there in 20 years.

Batesville is the best facility in Arkansas,but not as far as racing goes.

Now judging from the pics of the crowd they probably don't miss me and my wife at all,though.

Raceready
08-23-2023, 01:52 PM
Oh, you mean like.. Southern Hush Puppies, Arkansas Possum Pie, and Southern Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy?All of this mention of such good grub is making me hungry !!

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-23-2023, 04:45 PM
All of this mention of such good grub is making me hungry !!

That's a good thing...

wreck
08-23-2023, 08:37 PM
Don't know why I'm wasting my time with this post, but here goes anyway: The Topless feature this year sucked. That said, and call me biased, but Batesville as a whole does not suck. I say that having seen many excellent races there. The last 2 Topless 100s were among those. I don't know if there's video anywhere of it, but the 2007 Topless was nearly as good a race as the '06 World. 2002, '04, '05, '10, '12, '13, '14, and '15 were also entertaining races. Add to that numerous other times when the track was spot on for races of all different classes. I've been able to travel around a little bit, not as much as some of yall, but I've been to between 40 and 50 tracks, and I can say Batesville is unique and consistently puts on good racing. It deserves a spot on the national tour. That said, it also deserves better track prep than it got last weekend. There's no reason Saturday shouldn't have been the best track all weekend. I do hope that better effort is put in next time around to avoid the train race. The track always has the potential to be excellent. PS: why does 4m not space lines when I put spaces in the post? It's as frustrating as a rubbered-up racetrack.

kidrock
08-23-2023, 09:38 PM
Don't know why I'm wasting my time with this post, but here goes anyway: The Topless feature this year sucked. That said, and call me biased, but Batesville as a whole does not suck. I say that having seen many excellent races there. The last 2 Topless 100s were among those. I don't know if there's video anywhere of it, but the 2007 Topless was nearly as good a race as the '06 World. 2002, '04, '05, '10, '12, '13, '14, and '15 were also entertaining races. Add to that numerous other times when the track was spot on for races of all different classes. I've been able to travel around a little bit, not as much as some of yall, but I've been to between 40 and 50 tracks, and I can say Batesville is unique and consistently puts on good racing. It deserves a spot on the national tour. That said, it also deserves better track prep than it got last weekend. There's no reason Saturday shouldn't have been the best track all weekend. I do hope that better effort is put in next time around to avoid the train race. The track always has the potential to be excellent. PS: why does 4m not space lines when I put spaces in the post? It's as frustrating as a rubbered-up racetrack.

From what I read you didn't waste your time. Good honest post. I didn't see the whole show from start to finish but, I did catch some of the races and I thought to myself the x-finity race was better than the topless. I was thinking Moyer and Babb put on some good races at the topless. Don't quote me on that.

Snake X3
08-24-2023, 12:32 AM
The race won't be moved because the owner of the track also promotes the race.

Thanks man.

Yeah. If anything, it likely goes the way of the National 100 and Clash At the Mag.

Mopar DLM
08-24-2023, 09:43 AM
The lack of track prep or maintenance was the worst part. The hole in turn 1 was brutal all three nights. One car I saw in the pits should have sent Mooney a bill for road grader work. It had probably 50-75 pounds of mud smashed into the front of the radiator from landing in turn 1. The car hit hard enough that the mud pushed the radiator back till the fan hit the crankshaft. The only work on the track I saw all weekend was he watered the rubber. Saturday after they watered the track when the first group of cars rolled out to hot lap they were kicking up dust. Inexcusable for any race especially a supposed crown jewel race. If we are complaining then let me add that personal vehicles should not be in a pit area. Took up way to much room and had people parking trailers in all kinds of directions.

wreck
08-24-2023, 12:49 PM
Agreed. From what I've heard, the turn 1 pit is caused by a small spring that came up there. It's been there at least 10 years now. I'm sure to fix it would require digging it up and repacking it, but no telling how deep it goes. Watering the outside lane like Mooney did before the mod feature has worked before, but he needed to do it again before the LM feature and put down about twice the water. It would be nice if they had people parking vehicles by the pit entrance like they do on the grandstand hill. Everyone just kinda parked everywhere Saturday and it makes a mess. At least there weren't as many people parking their brand new 3/4 ton Ram on the backstretch wall like they do sometimes!

riddle28
08-24-2023, 02:11 PM
The lack of track prep or maintenance was the worst part. The hole in turn 1 was brutal all three nights. One car I saw in the pits should have sent Mooney a bill for road grader work. It had probably 50-75 pounds of mud smashed into the front of the radiator from landing in turn 1. The car hit hard enough that the mud pushed the radiator back till the fan hit the crankshaft. The only work on the track I saw all weekend was he watered the rubber. Saturday after they watered the track when the first group of cars rolled out to hot lap they were kicking up dust. Inexcusable for any race especially a supposed crown jewel race. If we are complaining then let me add that personal vehicles should not be in a pit area. Took up way to much room and had people parking trailers in all kinds of directions.

that hole is like the tunnel hole at eldora its always there. running mods that chunk it out worse thru the night doesnt help anything though

Buford.Justice
08-24-2023, 03:47 PM

Good track prep involves cutting the track up a few inches when needed, watering and rerolling the track. You can't mist a black slick track and do any good as within a few laps the moisuture is mainly gone and the dust is flying. Also then tracks tend to take on even more rubber and can become one lane.

When a race track does not have enough moisture in it to throw up a good cushion the racing can suffer as cars can't use the top of the track without sometimes hitting the wall or going over the bank. Causing the track to become a bottom feeder at certain tracks.

wreck
08-25-2023, 09:54 AM
Agree that the track should've been worked and watered better overnight Friday and Saturday during the day. I understand the basic idea of track prep, and I still think that the track could've been salvaged by a couple more passes with the water truck up top right before the feature. Batesville has never been a track that builds a cushion up like FALS or Eldora, except for turn 1 at '21 and '22 Topless. That was the first time I can remember cars sparking off the wall between 1 and 2 and not crashing.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-25-2023, 11:09 AM
Good track prep involves cutting the track up a few inches when needed, watering and rerolling the track. You can't mist a black slick track and do any good as within a few laps the moisuture is mainly gone and the dust is flying. Also then tracks tend to take on even more rubber and can become one lane.

When a race track does not have enough moisture in it to throw up a good cushion the racing can suffer as cars can't use the top of the track without sometimes hitting the wall or going over the bank. Causing the track to become a bottom feeder at certain tracks.

Most tracks know this but ain't gonna put in the work it takes to get it done. That's why they get labeled as being sht holes.

Flathead
08-25-2023, 11:48 AM
So many track prep experts and promoting geniuses on 4M and so many race tracks closed down needing reopened.

Pennsboro32
08-25-2023, 12:23 PM
So many track prep experts and promoting geniuses on 4M and so many race tracks closed down needing reopened.

Stop with that bullsh!t

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
08-25-2023, 12:57 PM
Stop with that bullsh!t

Oooh, owie!!! Laugh