PDA

View Full Version : Boring!

play4kps
09-04-2023, 01:25 AM
Went to Eldora tonight, the late model racing was boring, no passing, no nothing, overrated. Then got home and watched the Hillbilly 100, boring, whatever JD has on restarts, it wrecks a race. The more the sport moves to everyone having Longhorn chassis, the more boring the racing gets. It really sucks, because I love dirt late model racing, but honestly, I don't love the direction its going. Lets face it, the best race at Eldora tonight was the stock cars. And honestly anymore when I turn Flo or Dirtvision on anymore, I find Im watching more and more sprint car racing.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-04-2023, 05:52 AM
Went to Eldora tonight, the late model racing was boring, no passing, no nothing, overrated. Then got home and watched the Hillbilly 100, boring, whatever JD has on restarts, it wrecks a race. The more the sport moves to everyone having Longhorn chassis, the more boring the racing gets. It really sucks, because I love dirt late model racing, but honestly, I don't love the direction its going. Lets face it, the best race at Eldora tonight was the stock cars. And honestly anymore when I turn Flo or Dirtvision on anymore, I find Im watching more and more sprint car racing.

You aren't the only late model guy finding himself liking Sprint cars more and more. Late model racing isn't good right now. There's no relief in sight either.

It has nothing to do with how many guys are in a Longhorn either.

kidrock
09-04-2023, 06:46 AM
I was more entertained by the nascar race last night then I was the Hillbilly 100 and yes the Sprint cars have been more entertaining then the Late Models.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-04-2023, 07:31 AM
Can't call them all bad apples in dlm racing. Bad track prep = bad racing. Eldora has become breading grounds for shtty racing. Eldora isn't the only one.

I see plenty great races in dlm's still. Not all have been won by horns. Lot of them haven't.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-04-2023, 07:32 AM
I was more entertained by the nascar race last night
This is no surprise coming from you. Last night or any night.Big Smile

Pennsboro32
09-04-2023, 08:29 AM
The racing was good at Tyler all weekend until the late model feature. JD stunk it up, but they also should have done just a little track prep before the feature so we could have had a little cushion.

lokwaidid
09-04-2023, 09:58 AM
what discrimination was that?

J&Jsteel_fan
09-04-2023, 10:05 AM
I've watched late models for 18 yrs and just this year got Dirtvision to predominantly watch the sprint cars.

zyoung25
09-04-2023, 10:10 AM
Remember? JD himself said the fans like it when the fastest cars start up front? I thought the racing from 3rd on back was okay.

I don't know what they got going on at eldora. They need Chad back in a bad way. Whoever is in charge of the track prep there, seems to be lost.

lurker
09-04-2023, 10:14 AM
Non-wing sprint cars and non-wing 600cc micros are the best racing right now.

lokwaidid
09-04-2023, 10:26 AM
last night when i thought the track was ready to run in and then hot laps would start, the water truck comes back out. i lost track of time, but 30-40 minutes later, after they got about 1-2 lanes close to ready to start hot laps. 2-3 cars slide up into the wall in the first couple laps because the track was so slick. one has to towed. they got done qualifying at around 9:00. there was nothing about last night's show that was good.

Umpdirt1
09-04-2023, 11:25 AM
Been going to Eldora since 1984, Eldora is just a bunch of hype and atmosphere. As far as racing I can count on 1 hand the actual good racing I've saw there.

Paradox28
09-04-2023, 11:55 AM
Can't call them all bad apples in dlm racing. Bad track prep = bad racing. Eldora has become breading grounds for shtty racing. Eldora isn't the only one. I see plenty great races in dlm's still. Not all have been won by horns. Lot of them haven't.Curious..what do you consider bad track prep?

Buford.Justice
09-04-2023, 12:05 PM
Banning white people from applying to one of their programs.
Here is one article on it. Plenty that can be found.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2023/08/29/nascar-blasted-for-blatantly-illegal-diversity-internship-program-that-excludes-whites/

THIS SHOULD be big news but so many avoided this story.

It is big news. But the GOV and it's owned medias are censoring. This is going on at more companies than people even know about. A new Best Buy policy. Caucasian people are not allowed to apply for the company's leadership training

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-04-2023, 12:20 PM
Curious..what do you consider bad track prep?

Probably more what they didn't do to make it racey before last night. Farm it (turn the top 6" or more then soak the sht out of it) next day roll it in and water the sht out of it some more. They do that? Obviously not and don't for some of their dreams and 100's. It's hit and miss, more miss with them though. Many tracks got it figured out for the most part. You would think the folks at such a prestigious track would to?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-04-2023, 12:33 PM
Can't call them all bad apples in dlm racing. Bad track prep = bad racing. Eldora has become breading grounds for shtty racing. Eldora isn't the only one.

I see plenty great races in dlm's still. Not all have been won by horns. Lot of them haven't.

Bad race cars = bad racing

There is only one type of pass that happens now. Granted, it's the type fans like most, so if they see it, all is well

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-04-2023, 12:43 PM
Bad race cars = bad racing

There is only one type of pass that happens now. Granted, it's the type fans like most, so if they see it, all is well

The so called " bad race cars" are racey at more tracks then not.

Buford.Justice
09-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Well looking at You Tube nearly all that report on Nascar stuff have avoided this story. There should be massive amounts of white people not going to the races. Just unacceptable.

Yes NASCAR just keeps angering their fans.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-04-2023, 01:32 PM
The so called " bad race cars" are racey at more tracks then not.

You must be new to dirt late models.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-04-2023, 02:13 PM
You must be new to dirt late models.

Lol, why cuz you're an expert? Ok then.

bleedblue55
09-04-2023, 02:54 PM
The racing was good at Tyler all weekend until the late model feature. JD stunk it up, but they also should have done just a little track prep before the feature so we could have had a little cushion.

You're kidding right. Went Saturday to watch the steel blocks. Happy that Jared won but there was zero passing. Friday the track was rough as he!!. Didn't go Sunday cause I knew what to expect. Very thankful I made the decision to hit Port Royal last week and skip the Hillbilly and World.

racedad11
09-04-2023, 03:02 PM
The track prep guy at eldora needs to lose the keys to the water truck at about 5 in the afternoon

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-04-2023, 03:08 PM
Lol, why cuz you're an expert? Ok then.

You don't need to be an expert to watch cars enter the no go zone and aero push to oblivion. The ability to pass is horrible. The cars are too glued and make too much dirty air.

Being kind and not wanting to insult, I assume you haven't seen anything different.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-04-2023, 03:43 PM
Not gonna sit here and claim I know more then you at all mastersbuilt, I don't. I know these cars today race pretty well on a well prepped track and am certain if eldora wanted to give the fans a good show they could. But like has been said, as long as the place fills it's seats, who cares?

GrocMax
09-04-2023, 04:22 PM
Things go full circle at times, winged sprints used to have large car counts, but very few truly competitive cars, there were the Haves and Have-nots ($$$$ + driver talent). Now with most sprint car series they have equal money and equal talent and it goes goes pretty deep in the field even with big car counts. Winged sprints bored me to tears for awhile, especially on the big tracks. These days its pretty darned competitive. Non-winged sprints has always been entertaining (on the smaller tracks anyways) in my mind. Another fairly competitive dirt series to watch is NE Mods, BB or SB, particularly the higher lap count races, tire choice/management over 50-100 laps, but even the weekly races with under 40 lap the races can be quite entertaining, and they're just as aero dependent as anything else. RIP Kenny Weld, changed the BB Mod game forever in one race.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-04-2023, 04:58 PM
Not gonna sit here and claim I know more then you at all mastersbuilt, I don't. I know these cars today race pretty well on a well prepped track and am certain if eldora wanted to give the fans a good show they could. But like has been said, as long as the place fills it's seats, who cares?

Now matter how it's prepped, every track races much more narrow than it once did. Tracks are getting way too much of the blame. It's very very hard to make the track have 2 grooves when the cars use 1.

Too dry? They hug the bottom and lay rubber. Too fast? They drive sideways from bottom on entry to top by late exit and only work that groove in.

3 wide
09-04-2023, 06:56 PM
I went to dirt track races for almost 50 years but all the race tracks close to me run 8,9 and 10 classes so you know what you got your there all night you got a wore out race track start on the pole and lead ever lap woo sprints are a lot more entertaining so I have seen all the one lane race tracks I need too, but I seen all this coming years ago.

MIdlmfan
09-04-2023, 07:21 PM
So there’s a lot of knowledgeable people here what is the main reason we don’t have racing like the Jeep Vanwormer Earl Pearson Junior duel? Aero? Whatever the answer is they should implement the rules they had 20 years ago

kidrock
09-04-2023, 07:29 PM
After Nascar's lastest act of plain discrimination I have finally stopped watching. I am surprised that so many accept that action from Nascar.

I guess it's good to have a remote. I don't pay attention to politics of Nascar. Nascar is not for everybody. I watch Nascar for more than just the race itself. I like listening to the commentators, Pit reporters, crew chiefs and all the strategy that goes into calling a race.

Pennsboro32
09-04-2023, 07:40 PM
You're kidding right. Went Saturday to watch the steel blocks. Happy that Jared won but there was zero passing. Friday the track was rough as he!!. Didn't go Sunday cause I knew what to expect. Very thankful I made the decision to hit Port Royal last week and skip the Hillbilly and World.

Jared may have won but Tyler was all over him for quite some time. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad either.

Dlmfan123
09-04-2023, 07:44 PM
They ran like 80 laps with out a caution. It was very entertaining watching them pick threw lap cars I thought.

Rev
09-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Attended 3 or 4 Worlds the last 5 years, missed a couple in that timeframe. It was awesome being inside turn three to see them dig up close, but after many races anticipating a good race, I'm done.
Never saw a good race at Eldora. I guess it means something to somebody that you can say you've been to Eldora maybe, but I'd rather stay closer to home and take my chances at my local track.

play4kps
09-04-2023, 10:15 PM
Your so right, the cars are a big problem, but remember Port Royal only a few weeks ago, great race. But we have to know there is big problems when recently all the talk was how was Davenport going to handle losing one of his top engineers. What, When that kind of money is being spent, very few teams can afford tp be competitive. When Lucas or WOO show up at most tracks, very seldom do locals run good. they may start off good, but no way they stay strong the whole race. Perfect example, Josh Rice pushes his car to the extreme every lap, And Davenport, Overton and TMac look like there out for a sunday drive. Even Hudson Oneal looks like he is on the edge every lap. Everyone out there gets excited about everyone going to Longhorn, Dirt late model racing today looks more like crate racing than late models racing we all have come to love.

Paradox28
09-04-2023, 10:58 PM
Personally, these super packed, almost asphalt..dry slick tracks are a big part of the boring racing.

84wedge
09-05-2023, 10:42 AM
"So there’s a lot of knowledgeable people here what is the main reason we don’t have racing like the Jeep Vanwormer Earl Pearson Junior duel? Aero? Whatever the answer is they should implement the rules they had 20 years ago"Mark Richards hasn't complained yet.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-05-2023, 12:02 PM
Personally, these super packed, almost asphalt..dry slick tracks are a big part of the boring racing.

No, it's the cars! Pay attention!

The track conditions play no part in it whatsoever.

S/

WisWildManFan
09-05-2023, 12:27 PM
skipping the world for first time in years and gonna hit the FLO show at fals instead, I can't think of very many nights I left fairbury disappointed.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-05-2023, 12:34 PM
No, it's the cars! Pay attention!

The track conditions play no part in it whatsoever.

S/

Track prep has totally changed from 15 years ago!/s

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-05-2023, 01:56 PM
A lot of things have to align to have a race like 2005. That said, Earl never used the words "clean air" in his victory interview.

Barbecueboy
09-05-2023, 04:08 PM
Other than Eddie carriers interview after the north-south, earls interview after the 06 world sits as one of my favorites of all time…. he seemed more excited about the race itself than the fact he just won it. Great memory.

kidrock
09-05-2023, 04:55 PM
A lot of people don't pay attention to a lot of things going on these days. Live in a total fog.

I'm just not concerned about it when it comes to racing. I'm here to watch the race and that's it.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-05-2023, 06:45 PM

Not for the better, unless you're talking about FALS and some other's.

lokwaidid
09-05-2023, 07:22 PM
florence was known for being black slick and putting on a good show. those days are gone. if they did that again they would be crucified. the constant complaining of there might be dust in the air changed all of that. make it fast and tacky. then change the cars for aero and make them faster. now the front 5 cars play follow the leader a lot of the time and it would be hard to get more boring. racing can still be good on a 1/4-1/3 mile track, but 1/2 mile exciting races are getting are getting few and far between. the cars need to change or they are going to kill late model racing.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-05-2023, 07:40 PM
^ Great post, lok!

fryefan
09-05-2023, 08:12 PM

The freight-train races are mainly caused by a poor format. Series that have inverts and/or passing points provide MUCH better racing.

Buford.Justice
09-05-2023, 09:49 PM

Yeah, they treat water like it's Champagne. Water trucks with 55 gallons drums, hahahhahaa

dirtcrazy4u
09-06-2023, 05:58 AM
It's why they need to get rid of timing the cars. Putting the fast cars up front in heat races s*cks. But wait then you have a dash. All the fast cars are in that. Pull a d*m pill. I wonder what the racing would be like if JD or RTJ had to start deep in the field. BP and Hudson would be exciting to watch, bouncing and sliding every car they went by. Timing cars only puts more laps on the track surface, in my opinion so do dashes, why do they even have this cr*p. A 1 day show should have neither. 2 day shows, you run heats on day 1 and your feature day 2. No, instead let's pound the dirt until you have a surface that promotes following the car in front of you.

Dlmfan123
09-06-2023, 06:10 AM
I think Ricky has shown multiple times this year he doesn’t have to start up front

riddle28
09-06-2023, 06:16 AM
florence was known for being black slick and putting on a good show. those days are gone. if they did that again they would be crucified. the constant complaining of there might be dust in the air changed all of that. make it fast and tacky. then change the cars for aero and make them faster. now the front 5 cars play follow the leader a lot of the time and it would be hard to get more boring. racing can still be good on a 1/4-1/3 mile track, but 1/2 mile exciting races are getting are getting few and far between. the cars need to change or they are going to kill late model racing.

youre not wrong but i always love watching the races from florence and port royal theres no excuse for eldora to be like it has the last few years. Ive seen better races at East Alabama and thats bad. That being said my wife wants to go and we'll be there saturday morning lol

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-06-2023, 11:00 AM
They put up a sign like that and you can dam well be assured there's gonna be a riot! So, I'm thinking kid would jump right in lol. I'm gettin' the phunk outa that mess! L

play4kps
09-06-2023, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by kidrock
I'm just not concerned about it when it comes to racing. I'm here to watch the race and that's it.

I actually saw that idea play out, several years ago Dayton, Ohio had minor league hockey, the team was horrible, soft and unwatchable for years. But there was a select portion of fans who had this idea, Well, at least we have hockey, or I support the team no matter what, or your not a true fan. Needless to say, hockey was gone from Dayton within 2 years of that, never to return. When people blab out, I will accept anything, The time comes where most people with common sense abandon it. Eldora has become a huge drunk fest with very little emphasis on the racing, so for now, the stands will be packed with 90% having very little interest in the product on the track, but those people are getting older and dying off. The uniformed will have their Pierce, Davenport, Overton and RTJ shirts on, not because they like or know anything about them or their racing skills, no because everybody else is wearing one and they got the best chance to win. In other words, Im a former Bloomquist or Moyer fair weather fan, looking for my next driver.

lurker
09-06-2023, 05:33 PM
I actually saw that idea play out, several years ago Dayton, Ohio had minor league hockey, the team was horrible, soft and unwatchable for years. But there was a select portion of fans who had this idea, Well, at least we have hockey, or I support the team no matter what, or your not a true fan. Needless to say, hockey was gone from Dayton within 2 years of that, never to return.

Let me guess? IHL v2 and CHL, Dayton Gems, 2009-2012???

Barbecueboy
09-06-2023, 05:53 PM
youre not wrong but i always love watching the races from florence and port royal theres no excuse for eldora to be like it has the last few years. Ive seen better races at East Alabama and thats bad. That being said my wife wants to go and we'll be there saturday morning lol

When your wife overrules you and says she wants to go to eldora even though you don’t you know you married the right girl…..congratulations sir.

And I totally agree about the not so great racing there lately fwiw but I still have enjoyed the show the past few years even if from the recliner.

play4kps
09-06-2023, 10:26 PM
Lurker, your right to an extent, but Im really talking about the super soft years of the Bombers, I thought the ECHL was pretty good then. Gems, Demonz , at a loss for words, their was a few decent players, but Hara was totally let go and they did nothing to the Arena.

obamaracing#1
09-11-2023, 08:02 PM
I was going to make thread about boring racing and predictable. So annoying Essex in the both always selling the “ great racing”. Once these cars get out in open air it’s over. Thank god for lap traffic. That’s literally the only thing that makes things exciting. Sure you have a few guys that come up through the field with a good tire choice or something but they fizzle out once they reach the two or three cars that’s broke away.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-12-2023, 05:25 AM
Eldora was as good as track conditions get on Friday and Saturday. It could have been amazing with better car rules.

dirtcrazy4u
09-12-2023, 06:47 AM
Have to agree with above. I thought the racing at this year's event was very good. I'm sure the people that prep tracks rarely get credit for a good surface, but they sure get beat up for a bad one.

Pennsboro32
09-12-2023, 07:45 AM
The racing Friday and Saturday was as good as I can remember at Eldora.