PDA

View Full Version : Break out the big motors….its Knoxville week.

CILDirt
09-11-2023, 09:23 AM
Probably going to be an expensive weekend with the cool temps that are currently forecasted. It will be interesting to see who shows up. I see Pierce already changed his plans after his wreck at Eldora. I wonder who else will skip?

Morgs153
09-11-2023, 10:15 AM
I wonder how much longer this show will last at Knoxville. To me it really lost it's luster. I went twice, back when it was still 100 laps. The first time I went there was the drama of some cars starting to run out of fuel in the 80-90 lap range. The next year they implemented the mid-race fuel stop but kept it at 100 laps. After they shortened the race I decided not to go. Maybe it's just me but, changing the format and catering to the way the cars have changed kind of soured me. The technology march of the fuel thirsty wide bore aero supers.

Yes, Knoxville is a big fast track but the surface always seems to hold up. There are ways to tune a car for a long race but the teams are just not interested in doing so for Knoxville so the race got shorter. Since then my attitude on going to any track over third mile has changed as well. I know, I know, it is still 75 laps...

CILDirt
09-11-2023, 10:21 AM
I totally agree…not the best weekend of racing. Aero has definitely hurt it. Be interesting to see how many cars and fans show up this year. Feels like a dying event for sure.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-11-2023, 11:02 AM
I wonder how much longer this show will last at Knoxville. To me it really lost it's luster. I went twice, back when it was still 100 laps. The first time I went there was the drama of some cars starting to run out of fuel in the 80-90 lap range. The next year they implemented the mid-race fuel stop but kept it at 100 laps. After they shortened the race I decided not to go. Maybe it's just me but, changing the format and catering to the way the cars have changed kind of soured me. The technology march of the fuel thirsty wide bore aero supers.

Yes, Knoxville is a big fast track but the surface always seems to hold up. There are ways to tune a car for a long race but the teams are just not interested in doing so for Knoxville so the race got shorter. Since then my attitude on going to any track over third mile has changed as well. I know, I know, it is still 75 laps...

I'm right there with you. The format should have not changed. The racers should have figured out how to run the race.

Pennsboro32
09-11-2023, 11:44 AM
Only a matter of time until the only big tracks they will race on will be Port and Eldora.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-11-2023, 11:57 AM
Break out the yellow flags, fill your gas jugs, and what ever spare engine you got, it's.... Knoxville Baby! lol.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-11-2023, 11:59 AM
The better race is, tomorrow night... Yep...

Raceready
09-11-2023, 12:13 PM
Break out the yellow flags, fill your gas jugs, and what ever spare engine you got, it's.... Knoxville Baby! lol." Run em till they BLOW " ! !

Mod Runner
09-11-2023, 12:46 PM
The SLM racing has been very good when I have gone to Knoxville , but it is sprint car country down there. I would be down there , but I work the weekend. I dont see why a wreck at Eldora would be a reason Pierce would skip Knoxville , surely he must have a backup car.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-11-2023, 01:10 PM
The SLM racing has been very good when I have gone to Knoxville , but it is sprint car country down there. I would be down there , but I work the weekend. I dont see why a wreck at Eldora would be a reason Pierce would skip Knoxville , surely he must have a backup car.

Maybe bobby is out a Scooby-Doo wrap and demands more or he won't go?

IL LM Fan
09-11-2023, 01:29 PM
He posted this.
"Car is hurt really bad, forcing us to take the car to Longhorn. We will be back in action Tuesday night at Fairbury. However, after that (tentatively) we will not be in attendance at Knoxville or Brownstown for the next 2 weeks. So sorry to the fans who look forward to seeing us, but unfortunately we have to take this time to get our cars back together and focus on the World of Outlaws Late Model Series."

Raceready
09-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Maybe bobby is out a Scooby-Doo wrap and demands more or he won't go?Maybe he has some left over of the wonderful Wonder Bread wrap left to adorn the car left ?

dirty-white-boy
09-12-2023, 08:36 AM
Fuel stops in dirt racing is as dumb as wearing a raincoat while showering.

Post 100 laps and let the teams figure it out. Most of these "Crown Jewel" events were much better until they all became part of a series...just saying!

ImCryn2
09-12-2023, 08:38 AM
I dont see why a wreck at Eldora would be a reason Pierce would skip Knoxville , surely he must have a backup car.

Just a guess, why go to a race hours away without a backup car? Especially a track that is hard on engines and isn't sanctioned by the series you're running for points?

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-12-2023, 10:11 AM
Just a guess, why go to a race hours away without a backup car? Especially a track that is hard on engines and isn't sanctioned by the series you're running for points?

He's burned to many bridges with other drivers and knows he wouldn't get any help? Lol, other drivers going hrs out with no backup. Stay home when there's big racing out there.... Lolsdm!

I knew the ever prevailing excuses would come into play sooner or later. To funny!

Highside Hustler25
09-12-2023, 10:21 AM
Shame on Pierce. He should be strung up.

/s

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-12-2023, 10:24 AM
Oh I don't blame him one bit for dodging this race... The "shame" in his game is real tho... Giggle

CILDirt
09-12-2023, 10:29 AM
If the pre-entry list is any indicator, they will be lucky to have 40 cars.

gorj
09-12-2023, 11:01 AM
I’ll guess 40 cars, Saturdays A-main is 2500 to start, 32 car field.

james777777
09-12-2023, 11:39 AM
Could a solution for Knoxville be to impose a minimum gear ratio that would limit max RPM's to 8,000? Or impost a 8,000 RPM chip?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-12-2023, 11:44 AM
Could a solution for Knoxville be to impose a minimum gear ratio that would limit max RPM's to 8,000? Or impost a 8,000 RPM chip?

A solution to what problem?

james777777
09-12-2023, 01:59 PM
Blowing up engines

ImCryn2
09-12-2023, 02:29 PM
He's burned to many bridges with other drivers and knows he wouldn't get any help? Lol, other drivers going hrs out with no backup. Stay home when there's big racing out there.... Lolsdm!

I knew the ever prevailing excuses would come into play sooner or later. To funny!

Who is going to Knoxville with an actual chance to win that does not have a backup? What do other drivers have to do with it? As usual, a bunch of crap that makes zero sense spewing from your mouth.

PS, Bobby doesn't need anyone to make excuses for him just because you're too dense to understand his SIMPLE explanation.

zyoung25
09-12-2023, 02:38 PM
I can remember when drivers were mad because they would make the trip, then not be allowed in because of the cut off. I think it was 64? It's sad this race has turned into what it is.

I can see it being cut within the next couple years. Maybe Macon will replace it? 😂

zach51
09-12-2023, 03:18 PM
I can remember when drivers were mad because they would make the trip, then not be allowed in because of the cut off. I think it was 64? It's sad this race has turned into what it is.

I can see it being cut within the next couple years. Maybe Macon will replace it? 

Yeah I believe Feger was one that showed up in 2011 without having an invite and ended up whining his way into the event. Then within the next year or two they took away the "invitation only".

I do agree with an earlier poster in that being sprint car world, if you didn't love the sprint cars and Knoxville Nationals already before going to see your first late model race there, it probably won't do much for you. Although, after already having going to several 410 sprint nationals before my 1st late model nationals, I thought it was awesome.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-12-2023, 03:37 PM
Who is going to Knoxville with an actual chance to win that does not have a backup? What do other drivers have to do with it? As usual, a bunch of crap that makes zero sense spewing from your mouth.

PS, Bobby doesn't need anyone to make excuses for him just because you're too dense to understand his SIMPLE explanation.

Then you bobby huggers should stop making up excuses for him lol! I know you can't so have at it . Gives me something to lolsdm about.

jog49
09-12-2023, 03:50 PM
I can't imagine Pierce NOT being there unless there were problems. He said they had problems. 'Nuff said.

wuss
09-12-2023, 05:05 PM
Just trying to recall,,, when is the last time Bobby was at the Knoxville Nationals?From what I seen at the World, would you even call that a "crash"? Maybe I missed it, but he basically stopped with not a lot of damage. Surprised me he even had it on his schedule.

CILDirt
09-12-2023, 06:02 PM
Do they still do $1 beer night on Thursday’s?

lumpster
09-12-2023, 06:18 PM
Bobby was there last year, won on Friday night. They no longer do $1 beers.

wfodirt66
09-12-2023, 06:37 PM
Erb jr must be a looser too beacuse he wont be at k ville

Josh Bayko
09-12-2023, 07:43 PM
If you gear the car correctly, you probably aren’t popping the motor. There’s that.

larsonwon
09-13-2023, 05:45 AM
Wuss he said it bent the clip so they have to tear the car down and take it to longhorn and have it clipped.

dirtcrazy4u
09-13-2023, 05:57 AM
They don't have welders at Bob's shop. Thinking here, that frame is really bent and there going to get a new one. There choice, I do agree the knoxville race has lost what it started out to be. Leave it 100 laps, set up and strategies and 100 laps won't be a issue

Highside Hustler25
09-13-2023, 06:15 AM
Just trying to recall,,, when is the last time Bobby was at the Knoxville Nationals?From what I seen at the World, would you even call that a "crash"? Maybe I missed it, but he basically stopped with not a lot of damage. Surprised me he even had it on his schedule.

So if you didn't see it on your big TV, it didn't happen? Wtf. Can't make this sht up.

kidrock
09-13-2023, 06:23 AM

Although I agree it didn't look that bad but, if you actually seen the car then one would realize how bad the car really is. I mean do think they would be sending the car to Longhorn if it wasn't that bad.

Raceready
09-13-2023, 06:31 AM
Young Bobby sure got his moneys worth out of that car that he retired after the World 100 crash. 24 wins to its credit in part of 1 season ! ! The car paid for itself many times over ! !

zyoung25
09-13-2023, 07:03 AM
I dont think gearing is a problem at Knoxville, the engine has to be to breathe a little. Being wide open the entire time isn't a good recipe on an engine, especially when the shaker caked with mud.

jensenracing1818
09-13-2023, 07:43 AM

what race were you watching?? he plowed the wall hard full throttle into 3.... lol

Highside Hustler25
09-13-2023, 09:51 AM
what race were you watching?? he plowed the wall hard full throttle into 3.... lol

He was watching on the telly and they didn't show it. In other words, it didn't happen.

Morgs153
09-14-2023, 09:59 AM
That Thirsty Thursday $1 Busch Light thing cracked me up the first time I was there.

I went down for a beverage run and seen the price. I bought like ten on the first go for me and my buddy. When I walked into the bar area I was lonesome, except for all the bartenders willing to wait on me. I was laughing and she said, "What's so funny?" I told her that where I was from you'd be backing up your next tractor trailer by now and you'd be three deep at the bar. I live around a lot of beer drinkers.

I took some photos and we sent them back to a track owner and some bar owners I know. I think my track owner friend actually did it once or twice at his speedway after that.

One Man Gang
09-14-2023, 01:28 PM
I’ve got to ask this question since I’ve never been to either track. Both are 1/2 mile tracks what is the difference in Knoxville that makes it worse on engines than Eldora ?

Pennsboro32
09-14-2023, 02:38 PM
^

Eldora doesn’t seem like a true half mile, and Knoxville looks like the size of WVMS

cjsracing
09-14-2023, 03:42 PM
^^ Black sticky gumbo (river bottom) dirt - the best dirt there is!!!

zyoung25
09-14-2023, 03:55 PM
Pretty sure Knoxville is a half mile around the bottom. Eldora is a half mile around the outside wall.

Josh Bayko
09-14-2023, 05:26 PM
Pretty sure Knoxville is a half mile around the bottom. Eldora is a half mile around the outside wall.

It’s still just short of a half mile at the wall.

champion24
09-14-2023, 07:46 PM
Is there really only 4-500 people there?? I know it's a weekday too, but dang!!!!

KTMLew
09-14-2023, 07:57 PM
Was Erb trailing smoke?

kidrock
09-14-2023, 08:25 PM
Is there really only 4-500 people there?? I know it's a weekday too, but dang!!!!

I was wondering if they had a rain delay and this was a replay during the covid days

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-14-2023, 08:34 PM
Everyone is staying home with their big screen TV's and their favorite bottles of firewater...

Tireguy17
09-14-2023, 08:50 PM
Whoever has decided to not have a support class and expect to get a good crowd for 7 races is responsible for the demise of this event. It’s too good of a venue to not be a big marque event. It feels/looks like it’s on life support cuz they are having to kill time with no cars on the track with 1 class.

Josh Bayko
09-14-2023, 08:58 PM
This show never has much of a crowd. That place is too far from regular super late models and the locals are very anti everything that isn’t a winged sprint car. I can’t see this show continuing to exist.

IADRF
09-14-2023, 09:40 PM
The Saturday show is extremely lame, they should use the Saturday Eldora format. I don't live far away and it's still not worth the drive.High Limit sprints would be a good addition to draw a crowd.

DirtTrackin52
09-14-2023, 11:30 PM
Cool to see the Todd Brennan tribute car and the Ed Basey tribute car battle it out on the final lap.

CILDirt
09-15-2023, 12:35 AM
Good crowd tonight and great racing. They finally figured out how to get it widened out quicker.

Mod Runner
09-15-2023, 03:42 AM
Why the caution for Hudson ?

Highside Hustler25
09-15-2023, 05:01 AM
Holy cow, Mrs.RTJ must feed them boys sugar cubes. What a show. Lol.

dirtcrazy4u
09-15-2023, 05:39 AM
Crap racing if you ask me. I like the format, 1 class, get it done so people are not held hostage to watch some divisions most could care less about. Knoxville is not late model country. Personally, I think they need to pull the plug on this one. Also remember that place is huge as far as seating is concerned, it will be interesting to see how many show up Saturday night.

Pennsboro32
09-15-2023, 06:44 AM
Cool to see the Todd Brennan tribute car and the Ed Basey tribute car battle it out on the final lap.

Todd Brennan tribute car. That made me laugh.

Dlmfan123
09-15-2023, 07:57 AM
Dirt crazy, lay off the booze for a minute.. it’s not even noon yet. Your saving Knoxville was a bad race???

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-15-2023, 08:35 AM
^You're asking a bit much there, don't ya think? L

Buford.Justice
09-15-2023, 01:44 PM
^^ Black sticky gumbo (river bottom) dirt - the best dirt there is!!!

It sure is, that stuff is the tackiest clay of all. The particals in black gumbo are smaller than most other clays.

Buford.Justice
09-15-2023, 01:48 PM

My measurements of Eldora showed it about 2680 feet right on the outside wall. Of course the main average groove would be under a half mile most of the time, unless the cushion and racing line was right up against the wall.

A half mile is 2640 feet.

Raceready
09-15-2023, 03:49 PM
My measurements of Eldora showed it about 2680 feet right on the outside wall. Of course the main average groove would be under a half mile most of the time, unless the cushion and racing line was right up against the wall.A half mile is 2640 feet.I BELIEVE THIS GUY !! I don't think that he has ever steered anyone in the wrong direction !

stock car driver
09-15-2023, 03:58 PM
How can it be sprint car country? Knoxville is a small town and a single track... And the only one with 410 sprints in the state of Iowa.

The Imca racesaver sprints are at one track weekly and travel a little in Iowa I think.

Highside Hustler25
09-15-2023, 04:41 PM
1st sprint car race I ever seen was Knoxville.

TowerView
09-15-2023, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Morgs153;2468772]I wonder how much longer this show will last at Knoxville. To me it really lost it's luster. I went twice, back when it was still 100 laps. The first time I went there was the drama of some cars starting to run out of fuel in the 80-90 lap range. The next year they implemented the mid-race fuel stop but kept it at 100 laps. After they shortened the race I decided not to go. Maybe it's just me but, changing the format and catering to the way the cars have changed kind of soured me. The technology march of the fuel thirsty wide bore aero supers.

Yes, Knoxville is a big fast track but the surface always seems to hold up. There are ways to tune a car for a long race but the teams are just not interested in doing so for Knoxville so the race got shorter. Since then my attitude on going to any track over third mile has changed as well. I know, I know, it is still 75 laps...[/QUOTE

Just announced on the Knoxville Raceway Facebook page that the Lucas Oil Knoxville Nationals will return in 2024.

Morgs153
09-15-2023, 07:40 PM
And if they said it was 100 laps again I'd be reserving my hotel room right now. I really liked the trip down there and had a nice time.

The Thursday show was very good. Having JD complain about aero was even better. Dude, how was it you won so many races and so much money by starting up front and staying up front? Because of AERO!

DirtTrackin52
09-15-2023, 07:45 PM
Todd Brennan tribute car. That made me laugh.

Haha, I just had to be a troll and post that. They do look very similar.

Mod Runner
09-17-2023, 03:46 AM
Those who said there would be about 40 SLM cars entered were sure correct. I dont think there were many blown engines tho.