PDA

View Full Version : RTJ: The Journey

klemmabyna
09-18-2023, 05:16 PM
Before he starts getting a lot of negative crowd reaction for winning so much, i hope fans take a chance to appreciate the roads travelled it took to get this guy where he is at today. Reminds me more of days gone by when talent, not money or name, provided opportunities.

I know he has had countless people that have helped him along the way. Some of them providing just enough to get him down the road to the next event. But he has had the dream and the drive to make it work. And done it, with family now along for the ride.

Congrats. And I hope he remains the person I met in the race shop just up the road from where i grew up.

JMO

fryefan
09-18-2023, 09:23 PM
Amen! He is a wheelman, regardless of what he drives.

jog49
09-18-2023, 10:05 PM
Nobody can argue what he has accomplished, just admiration for those accomplishments!

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-19-2023, 11:28 AM
His car has just been too dam fast to be on the up and up. He's not that great of a driver really, it's his car, he must be doing something. Bloomers told me so! And when bloomers speaks, people listen. Smile

Raceready
09-19-2023, 09:25 PM
His car has just been too dam fast to be on the up and up. He's not that great of a driver really, it's his car, he must be doing something. Bloomers told me so! And when bloomers speaks, people listen. SmileIf'n that there Bloomer Guy told you that the Earth was flat, you would believe him ?

fryefan
09-19-2023, 11:38 PM
His car has just been too dam fast to be on the up and up. He's not that great of a driver really, it's his car, he must be doing something. Bloomers told me so! And when bloomers speaks, people listen. Smile

IF you honestly believe that "He's not that great of a driver really", then that tells me you know absolutely nothing about Ricky Thornton Jr.

Whatever class he runs in (modifieds, stock cars, late models, etc) he wins in. A prime example, is a few years ago he jumped in Todd Cooney's car during the late model portion of the IMCA Super Nationals and dominated the race against a strong field of cars (Cooney usually ran mid-pack at best in the car).

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
09-19-2023, 11:41 PM
IF you honestly believe that "He's not that great of a driver really", then that tells me you know absolutely nothing about Ricky Thornton Jr.

Actually he knows a lot about nothing.

Kromulous
09-20-2023, 09:18 AM
All the postive posts and comments do nothing compared to when the GOAT says in an Interview that your not that good of a Driver. If he is worth his salt, he will use that and go on and set the world on fire.

IMHO Bloomquist did him a favor. The love and light numbnuts nowadays are like a cancer, its ok to be medioacre, or long as your having fun blahsa BS. Nah, Bloomquist just called you out, now what are you gonna do?

Personnally i like the guy, and think & hope he is going to do well, but hopefully the fire got stoked a little more.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-20-2023, 09:25 AM
^^^ Bravo, Amen... The truth, has been written!

Give that man a Crown Royal and a bratwurst!

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-20-2023, 09:36 AM
IF you honestly believe that "He's not that great of a driver really", then that tells me you know absolutely nothing about Ricky Thornton Jr. Honestly, you're just not on the same level as some, buddy. You're down there looking up, and that's ok... Wink

ImCryn2
09-20-2023, 10:13 AM
If he is worth his salt, he will use that and go on and set the world on fire..

Ummm.. he is, to the point of breaking one of Scotts records (which was the reason for the stupid comments) That is Scott, always has been the guy who couldn't give a compliment.

Drop Shock
09-20-2023, 10:36 AM
He started in the back at the Flo race at Senioa last November and won by like 12 seconds. Whatever they’re running setup wise originated in that race. I agree he’s a good racecar driver but c’mon folks this guy won a WoO race and a Lucas Race his first year with SSI in 2020, it’s not like he just “figured out how to drive a late model”. I’m not saying it’s cheating cause it’s not, but to sit there and act like he’s just better then the rest of them, or works harder is really just ignorant. I’m a fan of the guy, but use some common sense

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2023, 11:13 AM
Drop Shock brings the logic!

Pennsboro32
09-20-2023, 11:36 AM
Post of the year Drop.

There's too much talent out there for anyone to be winning at the rate he's winning on talent alone. They've figured something out.

ImCryn2
09-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Post of the year Drop.

There's too much talent out there for anyone to be winning at the rate he's winning on talent alone. They've figured something out.

Of course they have, but to think just anyone could strap in that car and be as successful would be foolish.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-20-2023, 11:52 AM
"use common sense" ?

Well forget that when there's so much " I'm a late model guru know it all" amongst us. Lol

Bloomer spoke, listen. It's not that hard.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2023, 12:02 PM
Of course they have, but to think just anyone could strap in that car and be as successful would be foolish.

Of course not, but a majority of the tour guys could.

Raceready
09-20-2023, 12:17 PM
"use common sense" ? Well forget that when there's so much " I'm a late model guru know it all" amongst us. LolBloomer spoke, listen. It's not that hard. If GOD [I meant Scott] said it, I believe it, and that settles that for me ! !

Pennsboro32
09-20-2023, 12:19 PM

But nobody is saying that. But if you don't think (Overton, JD, Madden, TMac, Owens, Sheppard, Marlar, Hudson, Pierce, etc), wouldn't do the same thing with the same setup, you're wrong.

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-20-2023, 01:05 PM
GOD [I meant Scott] said it, I believe it, and that settles that for me ! !
All right, we all know Scott is not God. Get over your jealousy son. Laugh out louder lol

cjsracing
09-20-2023, 01:07 PM

Whatever class he runs in (modifieds, stock cars, late models, etc) he wins in. A prime example, is a few years ago he jumped in Todd Cooney's car during the late model portion of the IMCA Super Nationals and dominated the race against a strong field of cars (Cooney usually ran mid-pack at best in the car).

Not totally disagreeing with you but Cooney himself has won the late model portion of the IMCA supernationals 3 times.

Raceready
09-20-2023, 01:49 PM
Not totally disagreeing with you but Cooney himself has won the late model portion of the IMCA supernationals 3 times.The old " COONDOG " got er done !!

Highside Hustler25
09-20-2023, 05:52 PM
There's 1 thing RT does that makes him 1 or 2 tenths faster than the rest. He drives deeper into the corners. Pierce and Hudson drive that way as well.
I think it's about being young and fearless.

Drop Shock
09-20-2023, 06:30 PM
There's 1 thing RT does that makes him 1 or 2 tenths faster than the rest. He drives deeper into the corners. Pierce and Hudson drive that way as well.
I think it's about being young and fearless.

The car has to stick when you drive in the corner 2 or 3 car lengths deeper. All three are great drivers, but do you really not think everyone they’re racing against would drive that hard if their car would let them? Lol

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
09-20-2023, 07:13 PM
^ I like the part where he says "do you really not think". That was a good'n! Lol

pushin cushin
09-21-2023, 05:06 AM
So does the same apply for Scott when he won all those races that year to set the single season record for victories? Does he feel the same way when Owens and Davenport was consistently whooping everyone during their dream seasons??

Could be a wrong read, but when I listened to Scott, I got the feeling he “knows” what it takes to have these kinds of seasons and sort of insinuated it’s not on the up’n up….
Besides talent and a solid crew chief, I would say they ALL had something figured out, along with things (luck) going their way, just as RTJ has this year.

RTJ spent many a miles looking out the windshield going down the road to the next track before regularly competing in SLM’s.

Billy_the_kid
09-21-2023, 07:27 AM
Pierce gets bashed alot for his driving. I wonder if it was because the Pierce car was a handful to drive? He has had very little run ins this years and appears to be able to put his car wherever it needs to be. Now hes winning and people start talking cheating. Could it be that guys like Thorton and Pierce have just found a car that fits their driving style better? Doesnt mean theyre cheating. Hard to cheat with the cars teched so much. Just my opinion.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-21-2023, 09:53 AM
Bloomquist, in 2015, said Davenport beating him was like getting beat by your wife on Gatlinburg go karts. He just had the better kart. A mechanical advantage does not have to be illegal or "not on the up and up". There are still places to improve the cars enough to have a season such as this.

That said, no, he isn't whipping everyone with the same car Overton is driving.

There's also the fact that Bloomquist has never given a competitor any real credit or accolades.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-21-2023, 09:55 AM
Pierce gets bashed alot for his driving. I wonder if it was because the Pierce car was a handful to drive? He has had very little run ins this years and appears to be able to put his car wherever it needs to be. Now hes winning and people start talking cheating. Could it be that guys like Thorton and Pierce have just found a car that fits their driving style better? Doesnt mean theyre cheating. Hard to cheat with the cars teched so much. Just my opinion.

It's easy to cheat the cars. Heck, they are all illegal by the rules. It just depends if you are cheating where they tend to look or not.

Raceready
09-21-2023, 10:33 AM
Pierce gets bashed alot for his driving. I wonder if it was because the Pierce car was a handful to drive? He has had very little run ins this years and appears to be able to put his car wherever it needs to be. Now hes winning and people start talking cheating. Could it be that guys like Thorton and Pierce have just found a car that fits their driving style better? Doesnt mean theyre cheating. Hard to cheat with the cars teched so much. Just my opinion.That young'n of big Bob Pierce is just 1 ace of a wheelman. For cripes sake, he even was even able to win races in a rocket ! !