PDA

View Full Version : Droop and MasterSbilt_Racer Q and A

lurker
09-30-2023, 10:34 PM
How do you measure droop precisely off of the rear spoiler/rear deck when the spoiler/rear deck is knocked off or bent? Example is JD tonight at the Pittsburger.

Thanks in advance.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-01-2023, 04:30 AM
How do you measure droop precisely off of the rear spoiler/rear deck when the spoiler/rear deck is knocked off or bent? Example is JD tonight at the Pittsburger.

Thanks in advance.

The measurement is taken 6" to the right of the lr quarterpanel. That point is usually not disturbed because of the breakaway rr part of the spoiler and t bar. If they think that location is moved, I guess they can do whatever they choose, as is often the case.

84wedge
10-01-2023, 10:45 AM
How are they cheating this measurement thing, cause the cars look more jacked up than ever when they're on the gas.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-01-2023, 01:52 PM
How are they cheating this measurement thing, cause the cars look more jacked up than ever when they're on the gas.

They aren't cheating. The rule is short sighted, as is the norm in our sport.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-01-2023, 06:38 PM
The rule in no way simulates one-track suspension movement and has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese. Since they made a horrible rule against droop, teams worked to get more droop. As you say, they are higher than ever.

My car would fail by 5 or 6 inches a year ago. Once I needed to pass, I had to buy a new shock and cut and weld on the frame. Didn't change a thing that affected on track droop.

kidrock
10-01-2023, 07:33 PM
They aren't cheating. The rule is short sighted, as is the norm in our sport.

I'm curious since you have good knowledge of the sport and chassis. What rules would you like to see changed or removed from the current set of rules?

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-01-2023, 08:38 PM
I'm curious since you have good knowledge of the sport and chassis. What rules would you like to see changed or removed from the current set of rules?

Droop rule gone. Decking flat in all directions. Driver side body not above decking. 3" convex bow returned to the roof. No splitter on the nose. 36" static deck height. 4" spoiler. Right side body squared off rr wheel with a fixture that runs forward and backwards from center of rr hub. No part of body can be more than 1" further away from fixture than the closest point.

That's a good start.

lurker
10-01-2023, 08:47 PM
If they think that location is moved, I guess they can do whatever they choose, as is often the case.

One of the stupidest things ever in the sport of DLM racing.

kidrock
10-02-2023, 05:52 AM
Droop rule gone. Decking flat in all directions. Driver side body not above decking. 3" convex bow returned to the roof. No splitter on the nose. 36" static deck height. 4" spoiler. Right side body squared off rr wheel with a fixture that runs forward and backwards from center of rr hub. No part of body can be more than 1" further away from fixture than the closest point.

That's a good start.

I'm guessing this would help address the aero problem?

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
10-02-2023, 08:34 AM

Was there any aero issues that we're seeing today happening 10 years ago?

Jking24
10-02-2023, 08:46 AM
Was there any aero issues that we're seeing today happening 10 years ago?The issues have always been their per say but what's going on is the more "aero efficient " a car becomes the more it suffers from changes in the air. So when a Car has the aero efficiency of a brick it doesn't matter if the air gets disturbed because it's doing very little for the cars handling in the first place. Take a aero efficient car and disturb the air and it might lose half of its grip (handling). Hopefully that makes sense lol

hardracer32
10-02-2023, 10:42 AM
I love your ideas on the bodies MasterSbilt_Racer. I think that would be a great start.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-02-2023, 10:46 AM
Was there any aero issues that we're seeing today happening 10 years ago?

10 years ago, maybe a little longer, is when I first started seeing it affect the racing.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-02-2023, 10:47 AM

That's the idea and the biggest problem we have, IMO.

84wedge
10-02-2023, 12:09 PM
The issues have always been their per say but what's going on is the more "aero efficient " a car becomes the more it suffers from changes in the air. So when a Car has the aero efficiency of a brick it doesn't matter if the air gets disturbed because it's doing very little for the cars handling in the first place. Take a aero efficient car and disturb the air and it might lose half of its grip (handling). Hopefully that makes sense lolHence JD going right into the wall when RTJ passed him in the corner at the Pittsburgher

Josh Bayko
10-02-2023, 01:37 PM
The bodies just need to be straight, flat and symmetrical with a 36” deck height. Checked with a level and a tape measure. It it fails any of the measurements, tough sh*t go fix it.

It wouldn’t even significantly change the look of the cars to the people in the stands. Would also make life way easier for the graphics guys.

cjsracing
10-02-2023, 02:25 PM

That's a good start.

So back to the ugly cars of yesteryear. no thanks

Pennsboro32
10-02-2023, 03:03 PM

Who cares how ugly they are as long as they race better.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-02-2023, 06:59 PM

It wouldn't even look significantly different from the stands. It would race much better. Why the hate?

SLlDlNG SIDEWAYS
10-02-2023, 07:55 PM
I've found much pleasure, in the ugly ones...

kidrock
10-02-2023, 07:59 PM
That's the idea and the biggest problem we have, IMO.

I have to agree with you on the aero being a problem.

What about Tires any changes there?

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-02-2023, 08:47 PM
I have to agree with you on the aero being a problem.

What about Tires any changes there?

I'm not even going to go there. Continental came in and made cost control and price increases. I don't know enough about tire manufacturing to get into the weeds on that. The new tires suck, but we are stuck. We are a business in Chicago that just has to pay the protection fee when Vinny shows up with his baseball bat .

kidrock
10-02-2023, 09:23 PM
Fair enough..........

cjsracing
10-02-2023, 09:44 PM
It wouldn't even look significantly different from the stands. It would race much better. Why the hate?

Because I personally like the cars the way they are, I have no problem with how they drive.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-03-2023, 05:10 AM
Because I personally like the cars the way they are, I have no problem with how they drive.

I thought you were worried about the looks? You like cars drifting up in front of you and you lose the nose? I'm confused.

I can appreciate it's easier to drive when no one is around you, but not being able to pass and being wrecked by air are unacceptable to me.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-03-2023, 09:55 AM
When I started racing late models, you could race the track, instead of the car in front of you, all the way up until you would hit the car ahead of you. Then you could alter your line and work to creep by on entry or exit. Now, you can spend 4 laps reeling a guy in, he alters his entry by 6", you wash up the track and lose the 5 car lengths you worked to gain. It's worse than going to work at a real job.

hardracer32
10-03-2023, 10:47 AM
http://www.brandonkinzer.com/0614.html

This is from 2006. Not a dang thing wrong with how the cars looked back then and no where near the aero issues we have right now. Plus, you could still take a smaller engine package and be competitive against bigger(more expensive) engines. It's rare these days to be able to do that. I was looking at some pics from as recent as 2013-14 and even back then the bodies weren't as jacked up as they are now.

cjsracing
10-03-2023, 12:56 PM
I thought you were worried about the looks? You like cars drifting up in front of you and you lose the nose? I'm confused.

I can appreciate it's easier to drive when no one is around you, but not being able to pass and being wrecked by air are unacceptable to me.

Yeah I like how my car looks and I like how it drives. Actually I love when cars drift up in front of me because that gives me an opening to pass. My car is usually good on the bottom and I can rotate well where others can't.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-03-2023, 01:12 PM
Yeah I like how my car looks and I like how it drives. Actually I love when cars drift up in front of me because that gives me an opening to pass. My car is usually good on the bottom and I can rotate well where others can't.

We are in the same boat, but if the bottom is blocked, we are living dangerously in the middle to the top. You are a wake away from wrecking and constantly losing ground. I'd like to use the whole track.

EvelB7
10-03-2023, 01:29 PM
It all really got going in 2011, Barry Wright put the 'drop deck' stuff out. The cars were not good as the body wasn't modified (nor was the suspension) to take advantage of what they did. Barry actually wanted the cars back before we had even raced them to get it straightened out (Barry and family are some of my all time favorite people in racing). Others took what Barry started and we are where we are. Hard to put the genie back in the bottle(and everyone is scared to try); poor guys would have to move the fuel cells, learn to run a shear and actually read a tape measure! Funny thing is Steve Francis was driving the Barry Wright cars that started it all....

zyoung25
10-03-2023, 08:22 PM

That's a good start.

Can we make handmade bodies great again?

lurker
10-03-2023, 11:02 PM
MasterSbilt_Racer, Thank you for taking the time and answering mine and others questions and discussions. Its much appreciated.

lurker

4Barrel
10-04-2023, 06:09 AM
It’s not like the current cars are pretty either. The right front sticks way up in the air and the passenger side looks like they’ve been t-boned by a truck.