PDA

View Full Version : DoD's fast talk about what would improve the sport

84wedge
12-07-2023, 11:22 AM
Not one of them said anything about the bodies. Fast talk is also brought to you by MD3 and Five Star Race Car Bodies.

chathamracefan
12-07-2023, 12:09 PM
Step 1 would be to roll back the body rules about 20 years. Of course probably requires changing the shocks/springs & other technical things for body rule changes to really matter.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-07-2023, 01:00 PM
Step 1 would be to roll back the body rules about 20 years. Of course probably requires changing the shocks/springs & other technical things for body rule changes to really matter.

That's the beauty of it. Body rules are effective on their own. It's really idiot proof. Nothing else has to be done to matter. Downforce matters

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-07-2023, 01:23 PM
It was the one thing they really needed to hold the line on, but where they have actually been most derelict in their duties. These cars look nothing like 15 years ago, yet they should look the same, if anyone had any understanding and foresight.

dirtcrazy4u
12-08-2023, 05:08 AM
Wait for it. Anyone see Steve Francis ? He was going to get all of this under control. One of his sponsors must have been a politician.

84wedge
12-08-2023, 11:48 AM
They all talk like politicians and the DoD guys always ask questions that are just softballs thrown as gently as possible. White House press secretaries and used car salesman run the sport.

dirtcrazy4u
12-08-2023, 11:57 AM
The people at WRG and Lucas run slm racing. A tech official is nothing more than a title. Wait, unless there taking a tire sample and that only leads to 1 party saying guilty and the other party saying I didn't do it.

reddyfreddy
12-12-2023, 01:12 PM
Go to DoD and look at the cars in the TBT section at North Ga. in 2001. In my opinion, they are the best looking cars in many years. (I WOULD LEAVE A LINK IF I KNEW HOW) The Ronnie Johnson #20 has beautiful lines.

Oiler
12-12-2023, 03:23 PM
^^ Here's a link to Gary Stuhler's website to his 2000-2001 picture page. Not many drivers keep stuff this old online anymore.

http://stuhlerondirt.com/photos25.htm

Henry Every
12-12-2023, 04:34 PM
It all just makes me laugh, no different than Washington. It reminds me of the lead up to the 2008 crash, warnings everywhere but nobody wanted to be the one to stop the party, so over the cliff we went... The number of teams keeps dropping, costs keep rising, but nobody wants to be the adult. Then they start thinking like nascrap and adopting ridiculous formats all while dodging any meaningful or needed changes and/or enforcement. "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him..." Bill Shakespeare

MIdlmfan
12-12-2023, 06:56 PM
It all just makes me laugh, no different than Washington. It reminds me of the lead up to the 2008 crash, warnings everywhere but nobody wanted to be the one to stop the party, so over the cliff we went... The number of teams keeps dropping, costs keep rising, but nobody wants to be the adult. Then they start thinking like nascrap and adopting ridiculous formats all while dodging any meaningful or needed changes and/or enforcement. "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him..." Bill Shakespeare when you have a strong field of cars you can take the heat races and draw names out of a hat for starting position and that’s where they will finish … Houston we have a problem … the pictures of Gary Stuhler’s ride is what a SLM should look like!

klemmabyna
12-12-2023, 07:10 PM
"when you have a strong field of cars you can take the heat races and draw names out of a hat for starting position and that’s where they will finish … Houston we have a problem … "

and it didn't used to be that way.

not saying that racers can't and won't still race. but the big travelling series go too many tracks that do not provide a racing surface that a faster car can move forward. especially with the current body (nose) rules.

Buford.Justice
12-12-2023, 09:05 PM
Lucas, WOO, and the others bigs, control the LM's now and as long as the stands are full and the streaming services are also bringing in big money, then nothing is going to be done.

And the sponcers are plenty also.

Would anyone start a new racing Series with rules that actually did away with most of the aero, body width, bent bodies, including the radical nose pieces, and more?

I don't think so. They don't have any cars to start with. lol

Buford.Justice
12-12-2023, 09:07 PM
Klem the track surfaces are a big part of the problem. That has ruined a lot of potentially great racing.

Raceready
12-12-2023, 09:52 PM
It all just makes me laugh, no different than Washington. It reminds me of the lead up to the 2008 crash, warnings everywhere but nobody wanted to be the one to stop the party, so over the cliff we went... The number of teams keeps dropping, costs keep rising, but nobody wants to be the adult. Then they start thinking like nascrap and adopting ridiculous formats all while dodging any meaningful or needed changes and/or enforcement. "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him..." Bill ShakespeareAlas; Caveat Emptor !

Switchback29A1
12-13-2023, 04:35 AM
I agree new body rules would be a big help, but enforcing the actual rules already in the book that never get checked would make just as big of a difference. Every rule book out says "no wedge like noses" but no matter if its five star, dominator, or AR bodies every single one of them is the literal definition of "wedge like". I understand it would cost those manufactures money to redesign their product, but its not like any less of them would be sold than it currently is.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-13-2023, 04:40 AM
Lucas, WOO, and the others bigs, control the LM's now and as long as the stands are full and the streaming services are also bringing in big money, then nothing is going to be done.

And the sponcers are plenty also.

Would anyone start a new racing Series with rules that actually did away with most of the aero, body width, bent bodies, including the radical nose pieces, and more?

I don't think so. They don't have any cars to start with. lol

If I had money to waste, I'd do it on a local level. I'd pay enough people would show up to run my "ridiculous rules". I'd build large domes that competitors had to attach to their roofs and they would have to remove their spoilers. You would not need new cars built to your rules, but you could affect some change and demonstrate it.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-13-2023, 04:44 AM
^^ Here's a link to Gary Stuhler's website to his 2000-2001 picture page. Not many drivers keep stuff this old online anymore.

http://stuhlerondirt.com/photos25.htm

That nose and roof alone, would be a decent start. Of course they've screwed the whole car up, but it would be a start

Mopar DLM
12-13-2023, 09:13 AM
A change back to the old noses would cost the manufacturer nothing. Five star bodies still lists the old classis noses with flat batwings on the website and in the catalog. MD3 still has the older Gen2 noses available. The ones before they started getting crooked on the car. Teams could literally fix that problem overnight. It will only take someone with a big enough set to say this is what is allowed now and then send some folks home the first week or two and everyone will fall in line.

LM1
12-13-2023, 09:48 AM
Get rid of the Hoosier tire monopoly. I don't care how much they pump into the sport for the big guys tire deals, they keep raising prices for an inferior product and the weekly/regional racer has no other option. People are being priced out of the sport by $200 tires that last one night.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-13-2023, 10:45 AM
Get rid of the Hoosier tire monopoly. I don't care how much they pump into the sport for the big guys tire deals, they keep raising prices for an inferior product and the weekly/regional racer has no other option. People are being priced out of the sport by $200 tires that last one night.

That certainly adds to the operating costs. I'm more upset about how much engine is required though. Those things are expensive. People used to overpay for what they didn't need. Now you need it because the car has massive downforce and passing is hard to do later because of aero.

Jim11h
12-13-2023, 10:22 PM
Aidie Swartz said this back in 01 that air is the cheapest form of speed

Dirt Clod
12-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Along with aero and tires, I was intrigued by their comments about late model special shows lasting too long into the evenings. Race fans been saying for years that tracks drag the shows on, run the late model features long into the programs, don't start on time and whatever various reasons. When those writers notice that, you know it's finally getting attention. Run the programs like the Castrol Night specials and High Limit races - fast with little down time!

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-14-2023, 05:34 AM
Aidie Swartz said this back in 01 that air is the cheapest form of speed

I've explained many times air you gain that nobody else has is cheap. Once everyone has it, it's very expensive. The most aero dependent cars are the most expensive to operate. There are increased strains on the drive line and the suspension goals become distorted.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-14-2023, 05:39 AM
The distorted suspension goals bring rise to the things that most people fear " them trick shocks"

Jim11h
12-14-2023, 08:34 AM
That's exactly it, but in 01 he was saying that knowing that rules protected racer from themselves. Now it's free for all.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-14-2023, 08:57 AM
That's exactly it, but in 01 he was saying that knowing that rules protected racer from themselves. Now it's free for all.

I knew we were headed here when I saw the first noses with splitters at PRI

Buford.Justice
12-14-2023, 04:34 PM
The distorted suspension goals bring rise to the things that most people fear " them trick shocks"

And Rumley devices? hahaha

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-15-2023, 08:16 AM
And Rumley devices? hahaha

Yes, face down, rear up posture is why it is effective as well. Almost all speed to be gained is figuring how to make the suspension orient the aero platform and somehow still be a suspension to some degree.