PDA

View Full Version : East Bay Closing- Opinions on this?

HoosierDirtFan
01-04-2024, 06:27 AM
From Dustin Hughes on Facebook.

If you don’t believe me that Big Shows and Big Corporations isn’t killing weekly racing than you can read it here from the man himself !!! I give weekly dirt track racing five more years tops.

East Bay Raceway Park:

The Story Behind its Final Season

DirtJanuary 3, 2024

Mike Adaskaveg

When East Bay Raceway Park concludes the 2024 season in October, it will close its gates for good. The owner and promoter of the Tampa, Florida, track, Al Varnadore, admitted the decision to sell the facility didn’t make him popular.

“I’m the most hated man in Hillsborough County,” Varnadore said. “The people on the internet are angry — real angry — and some of them from as far away as Iowa are sticking their noses into my business. They come here once a year and don’t see the big picture. The track is losing money — but I went forward with a big schedule for our last season — and I didn’t have to.”

That 2024 schedule begins as it has done for decades, the Winternationals. That starts on January 17 with the Top Gun Sprints as the headliner. The Winternationals features a who’s who of racing divisions and series. Crate Racin’ USA late models. UMP modifieds. Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series. High Limit Sprint Car Series. 360 sprint cars.

The season concludes on October 12 with a $50,000-to-win Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series race dubbed the “Grand Finale.”

However, in between those bookend events is a weekly racing program, just like at many other oval tracks in the U.S.

“East Bay Raceway Park does not make money in the regular season,” said Varnadore. “We do well in January and February, but the rest of the year it is a struggle to keep the place open.”

The traveling series have also played a role in shrinking profit margins for tracks, according to Varnadore.

“The million-dollar late model drivers are complaining how much they are losing,” Varnadore said. “The series promoters want higher purses. Pay-per-view is great for people who like to sit at home, but the money they are paying isn’t coming back to the racetracks. We can’t have every fan in front of a home TV set — we need to sell hot dogs to survive.”

More than four years ago Varnadore announced the sale of East Bay Raceway Park to The Mosaic Company, a phosphate mining company that owns land neighboring the track.

“When I made the deal with Mosaic, I promised our racers there would be five more years of racing,” Varnadore said. “I wanted to give them plenty of time to decide if they wanted to phase out or race elsewhere.”

Varnadore forecasted the future for where East Bay Raceway Park resides now.

“On November 7, 2024, the 28 acres the track is on changes hands,” said Varnadore. “There will be no more East Bay Raceway Park. It will be another mountain of dirt left over from mining phosphate.”

Al Varnadore also made a prediction for what dirt-track racing will look like.

“Special events will replace weekly racing at most racetracks in five to 10 years,” Varnadore said. “The companies that own the series will need to own the racetracks. They have to be able to pay the purses and do the things it takes to make it all work.”

When the gates finally close on East Bay Raceway Park, it will be a bittersweet moment for Varnadore.

“I just want to relax and spend time with my grandchildren,” said Varnadore. “I worked hard — awfully hard — for 22 years. I won’t rule out that I will still be involved in something racing. I just won’t put myself at risk by investing in a racetrack.”

Al Varnadore, owner and promoter of East Bay Raceway Park.

Barbecueboy
01-04-2024, 06:33 AM
Sad but all very true…..thank you east bay for being there for us all throughout the years.

nc mudcat
01-04-2024, 06:34 AM
I agree with most of what he said. As for special events replacing weekly racing, that is a scary proposition, in that most tracks running occasionally do not have good track prep, from what I have seen. On asphalt, no problem. On dirt, it's another story.

I am indeed guilty of staying home and watching on TV. I love Floracing, as I can watch hundreds of races each year without leaving the house. As a 60 year-old, I won't go to a track at 5 in the afternoon and stay until 2 in the morning like I once did, so the streaming deal is great for me. I did not go to a single race this past year. I cannot see how that does not hurt race track promoters. Spreading the racing to the world of viewers that might not otherwise see it is a good thing. But if no one comes to the track, they will all fold.

foxfire2dirtracing
01-04-2024, 06:56 AM
How can you not agree with Mr. Vonadore?
How many tracks are closing annually ?
How many tracks are being built or reopened?

foxfire2dirtracing
01-04-2024, 07:11 AM
Another example:
Post #3 above- NC Mudcat stated he watches hundreds of races per year and didn’t attend any live events.
Flo/DOd is $150 per year. I spend 6k just on Ga/Florida Speedweeks only. Then add another long long list of annual road trips to “special events.” (Lucas Oil/WOO)
As long as I am healthy I will continue. But I totally understand all the reasons to watch from home and cannot criticize anyone for doing so.

weatherman85
01-04-2024, 07:53 AM
I agree with the owner and am too guilty of being a streamer. Although not exclusively as I did venture out to some new tracks this past year. Streaming is a double-edged sword. It is great in that I can watch the World 100 or Dream 100 from the comfort of my home. It also allows me to watch/follow series and drivers from across the country that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. Streaming is also bad as in I know of several friends that used to be weekend warriors at our local tracks that now never go in person.

I'm not sure of the best way to fix this. Maybe some sort of black-out local policy like the NFL does for local markets unless an event sells out. Even then though you're going to piss off a lot of people and receive a ton of backlash. I started racing this past year on asphalt at a track that runs on average a biweekly schedule. I have no idea how anyone runs weekly as we literally spend thousands of dollars for $350 - $500 to win features. The "Hobby" racer is dying out as he/she can't keep up as the select few with DEEP pockets continue to throw money at their cars. Still though, I had a blast and am looking forward to this upcoming season. I hope I'm wrong but short track racing as a whole (dirt or asphalt) cannot survive if it continues down this same path.

dirtcrazy4u
01-04-2024, 09:15 AM
Well, you need to look up what the promotor of east bay had to say about the jerks at all these streaming services. I for one have said in the big picture the streaming hurts track promotors. I don't disagree with what he believes is the direction of racing. Anybody that is somebody will either be running a series or closing up. Local slm racing in many parts of the country are already on life support. Track owners and promotors are definitely not reaping the benefits of streaming. They themselves are making the money, not the owner/promotors. Get ready because it's coming at a track near you sooner or later. Dustin Hughes posted what the east bay owner had to say on facebook. I don't know how to post it here, look it up.

manwplan
01-04-2024, 09:16 AM
two things

1. Streaming services need to come up with a better revenue share plan that works for all parties

2. regular weekly racing should not be streamed live ever. taped delayed and released on Monday for exposure defintely.
black outs won't work because tech savy people will setup VPNs to get around that..

Pennsboro32
01-04-2024, 10:06 AM
Local events were dying before streaming gained momentum. Car counts were dropping year by year. I'm lucky to watch 10 late models at my local track for a weekly event, that started ten years ago or more. Cost cost cost.

jog49
01-04-2024, 11:20 AM
I'll speak for myself and probably nc mudcat. In 60+ years of all kinds of racing but especially dirt, I don't want to know how much I have spent but it's safe to say a Brink's armored truck would be needed to transport all that money!

It's time for someone else (or another generation) to step up to the plate and support the sport. In the meantime, my feet are up and I'm watching streaming racing om Flo. MAV, etc. the rest of my life. It's pretty nice too. The refrigerator is 6 steps in one direction and the bathroom 6 steps in the opposite direction......... with no crowds! One "big" race expenditures exceed a yearly subscription to Flo, for example, money stays in the bank, and the wife is happy because I'm home and close to the honey do" list of activites (although I dread that part).

kidrock
01-04-2024, 11:33 AM
All hobbies have gotten more expensive and racing is no different. Your weekly shows are guys racing as a hobby and not to make a living off of it. Now the guys racing a tour are trying to make a living at it and there is no question they have made it more expensive to do for the guys doing it for a hobby.

Streaming is a double edge sword. You make it to expensive for the average joe and they will just find something else to do and in some cases they already have but, it also gives fans a place to watch races or even with flo different types of racing from different parts of the country they may never be able to otherwise.

No easy answers to fix this problem but, the guy at Eastbay unfortunately is one of many losing on their weekly shows.

I know a promoter who said if I can just break even on my weekly shows and make a little on the bigger shows I would continue to run the track well it's safe to say he is no longer running the track.

MRM
01-04-2024, 11:59 AM
All hobbies have gotten more expensive and racing is no different. Your weekly shows are guys racing as a hobby and not to make a living off of it. Now the guys racing a tour are trying to make a living at it and there is no question they have made it more expensive to do for the guys doing it for a hobby.

Streaming is a double edge sword. You make it to expensive for the average joe and they will just find something else to do and in some cases they already have but, it also gives fans a place to watch races or even with flo different types of racing from different parts of the country they may never be able to otherwise.

No easy answers to fix this problem but, the guy at Eastbay unfortunately is one of many losing on their weekly shows.

I know a promoter who said if I can just break even on my weekly shows and make a little on the bigger shows I would continue to run the track well it's safe to say he is no longer running the track.

Good comment. There are lots of reason why tracks are closing and car counts go down. Younger people having no interest in cars is one of them as well.

Highside Hustler25
01-04-2024, 12:38 PM
Good comment. There are lots of reason why tracks are closing and car counts go down. Younger people having no interest in cars is one of them as well.

Your last sentence is huge. One of the major reasons for the decline in my opinion.

zyoung25
01-04-2024, 01:32 PM
I agree with Al mostly. I used to go to nearly 50 races a year in the surrounding states, but having a little one has cut that down to about 10-15 races a year that are all within reasonable driving distance of the house. I spend a lot of nights streaming races anymore because we can't jump in the car and drive 5hrs to a track anymore.

If sanctioning bodies would actually stand up and do something to control cost, we would probably see things level out some. Right now everybody is bitching because everything is so expensive, but it seems the series' think the fix to that is to just throw more money on the table. All that does is make it harder on the fans and promotors with having to raise admission costs.

Some of the heads that involved with the sport try to tell us the sport is as strong as it's ever been, and that's a lie. The sport was in a much better place during the HAT/UDTRA/STARS era than we are now. We wasn't losing tracks and teams at alarming rates back then. Car counts were strong and the stands were full, and most of all weekly/regional racing was somewhat profitable for both sides drivers and promotors. The only thing we have now that we didn't have back then is the money. That's only going to be able to go so far.

MRM
01-04-2024, 02:04 PM
If sanctioning bodies would actually stand up and do something to control cost, we would probably see things level out some. Right now everybody is bitching because everything is so expensive, but it seems the series' think the fix to that is to just throw more money on the table. All that does is make it harder on the fans and promotors with having to raise admission costs.

Bingo. And now there is more technology coming that everyone will think they have to have and it will trickle down to the regional racer that can't afford to race as it is.

weatherman85
01-04-2024, 02:25 PM

TOTALLY AGREE with the younger people having no interest point. Almost all new racers that I see enter the sport are family members of current or past racers. That's only going to go so far. I cannot say I blame younger people not having much interest. It is VERY hard to actually go out and work on current vehicles to spark further interest both gasoline or electric. It's not like the days when I was little when you could open the hood on a car with your dad and work on just about anything you wanted. So much technology in today's vehicles that you almost always have to rely on the dealership to get things fixed properly.

MRM
01-04-2024, 03:08 PM
Just look at the average age of fans in the stands. It has to be 45-50.

dirtcrazy4u
01-04-2024, 05:57 PM
Bingo. And now there is more technology coming that everyone will think they have to have and it will trickle down to the regional racer that can't afford to race as it is.

Bingo WRONG. You already have it with RUSH and I forget the name of the group down south. There called crates, they are what cutting costs is all about.

Some of these owners and there's more every year do this because they love the sport. They pay the same as the guy running woo or lucas for a chassis. As far as a roller, it's possible they are paying more because they want all the lightest components they can get there hands on.

These guys race for peanuts compared to what they have invested. There you have it, we talk about it all the time, rules, cost cutting, bodies. etc.etc.

But, you know the one thing crate racing doesn't have with all there cost saving. FANS IN THE STANDS

dirtcrazy4u
01-04-2024, 06:15 PM
Do I understand all the reasonning behind why everyone has a streaming service. Sure, I'm old to and can't travel like I once did. My son grew up at the race track with me, does he go anymore ? Not a chance. He also does not stream. I've said it many times these guys behind streaming are lining there pockets. Promotors need to wake up and do there streaming service directly to the customer.

kidrock
01-05-2024, 08:20 AM
Wake up call should have been when Crates came on the scene. That should have told everyone there is a problem. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against those he went to crates because they were forced to because of price and like I said your weekly shows are guys doing it as a hobby so, they were looking to be able to keep racing but, not go broke doing it.

DoubleZero
01-05-2024, 09:35 AM
Weekly racing, for track owners, has always been tough. Only a dedicated fan will, or financially can, `attend a local event every, single week, sure, I would, and did for many years, but such is not the norm. The track owner has fixed expenses, overhead, that can't be changed, regardless of the fullness of the grandstand. The rise of the 'special event' has further complicated the landscape...now, the only time a descent crowd can be realized is for the WoO, Lucas, Ultimate....etc. etc. etc. race. The promoter can not make a profit large enough on the big race, to tide him through all the poorly attended weekly events. Also, in the US Southeast, (for example) with the exponential population growth, land values have sky-rocketed and race tracks are more valuable as housing sites that speedways. It's frustrating, but very true. The East Bay owner/promoter's points are all spot-on, especially his futuristic prediction of series-owned (LUCAS Oil Speedway) tracks.

JimBo
01-05-2024, 11:04 AM
Just saw on Facebook that my local track Monett Speedway, which is an 55 miles away, is ceasing operations and is for sale. They ran Late Models for years, but were lucky to get 5 Lates last year. I used to go every week, but I too have aged out of running up and down the road and getting home early morning. I do attend the big shows at Lucas Oil Speedway, which is 4 hours away, but they lose money on weekly shows as well. Furthermore, I am also guilty of streaming FLO and Dirt Vision. It's a sad state of affairs.

lurker
01-05-2024, 08:10 PM
Just saw on Facebook that my local track Monett Speedway, which is an 55 miles away, is ceasing operations and is for sale. They ran Late Models for years ---

That was my home track back in the 80’s. Watched a lot of Phillips/Essary duels back then.

over4T
01-06-2024, 09:38 AM
Hate to see any track close but Monett was a good one. Discovered it 'bout 18 or 20 years go on a trip to the Show Me at West Plains. Went to a race there before the Show Me and enjoyed it enough to stay over the week after for another round. Had a good field of LM and a good crowd. Remember being impressed by how fast the Factory Stocks were.

Patansplant
01-06-2024, 11:01 AM
I think a lot of us old geezers used to spen a lot of time at race tracks is because we grew up with the muscle car era. Everybody had nice wheels and tires, loud mufflers and might have done a bit of stret racing once or twice. We also hung out at the local garage sometimes and watched the guys work on the race cars. A couple things that keep me away from the tracks is the program. Good grief there is nothing wrong with starting a show at 6 or 7, keep the show moving and be done by 10. Five or six classes of cars and caution after caution isn't helpful. And a show running into the wee hours isn't fun. Last year at a big show at Wheatland it was so crowded it was uncomfortable. It took 20 or so minutes to get a hot dog and 90% of the people there were hammered. Don't get me wrong I like a few beers while watching the race but a lot of these folks were out of control. Certainly not a healthy family environment. I used to love taking the motorhome and staying at the track but some now are charging 20 or 30 bucks a night to park in a field.

Buford.Justice
01-06-2024, 11:25 AM
Wake up call should have been when Crates came on the scene. That should have told everyone there is a problem. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against those he went to crates because they were forced to because of price and like I said your weekly shows are guys doing it as a hobby so, they were looking to be able to keep racing but, not go broke doing it.

Creatiing a Crate class split the LM cars in half, and hurt late model racing.

Maybe this would not have happened if LM rules had dealt with the causes of expenses, and not let everything about the cars get out of control.

Now Lucas, WOO, and others have almost cornered the market on late models, and the crates are becoming the top class at more and more tracks.

jog49
01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
About the best we can get nowadays is a kid with a 4 cylinder import, a large and loud oil drum muffler, and a big spoiler on the trunk lid! They don't care about sports, in general, and especially don't care about racing, starting with NASCAR and descending to dirt track racing. Like it or not, racing is about ready to be moved to the ICU.

kidrock
01-06-2024, 11:46 AM
Creatiing a Crate class split the LM cars in half, and hurt late model racing.

Maybe this would not have happened if LM rules had dealt with the causes of expenses, and not let everything about the cars get out of control.

Now Lucas, WOO, and others have almost cornered the market on late models, and the crates are becoming the top class at more and more tracks.

Like I said it should have raised eyebrows but, it didn't.

Henry Every
01-06-2024, 05:05 PM
I don't see it as one singular thing or entity causing the decline in participation from fans and racers, unless you count the WEF and/or the Davos crowd. Our culture has been hijacked in more ways than one. The younger generations have purposely been brain washed into hating cars and blaming them for fictitious climate change and many other things, like cow farts and human breathing. The powers that ought not be also are pushing us towards an all electric future that they know will never work. Then you add in the smart phones and streaming everything, plus the rising costs caused by the supply chain disruptions during the scamdemic and runaway spending, wars being kicked off all around the globe. No sooner one starts to die down and they fire up a new one. Make no mistake its not just racing feeling the bite and we all know it. Right now in Montana the feds are cutting of water access to ranchers, further straining our food supply. Racing is the canary in the coal mine, so pay attention because the next several years are gonna get tougher, I don't care which party you endorse. There is considerable evidence by 2032 Republic style governments will fail. After that depending on how things shake out, there may be a very bright future, but for now sadly I expect to see much more Eastbays being thrown on the scrap heap as the economics continue to erode. We've been very blessed to have lived in the times we've lived in, but sadly a lot of it was on borrowed money and the bill is coming due. Bandits have infiltrated our governments and corporations and they are pillaging the coffers as we speak, pensions, 401K's, healthcare, property rights, even bank accounts are vulnerable. They already begun to prepare for then next crash and they've passed legislation to make it legal to use your money to bail them out. They know the jig is up, they just hope you don't wise up to whats happening before they can steal the art off the walls and empty the fridge. London bridge is falling down...

Buford.Justice
01-07-2024, 08:49 AM
How many years have we been talking about East Bay closing? I will be surprised if this is the last year.

Actually Henry you are right. Our entire way of life is collapsing, and so many are not even aware of it. This year it will all come to a head.

kazual
01-07-2024, 09:32 AM
I hate to see any track close. But often the only avenue for an owner to profit from their long term efforts is if their land appreciates in value. Only in rare cases when a track is sold is it a viable business to be operated as a race track in the future. Disappointing, yes. Understandable, yes.

lurker
01-07-2024, 11:47 AM
I think a lot of us old geezers ----

Has it just simply come down to “WE” are old now, and dirt late model racing has, and is, passing us “ALL” by? And “WE” are not accepting to the new?

jog49
01-07-2024, 12:17 PM
I don't see it as one singular thing or entity causing the decline in participation from fans and racers, unless you count the WEF and/or the Davos crowd. Our culture has been hijacked in more ways than one. The younger generations have purposely been brain washed into hating cars and blaming them for fictitious climate change and many other things, like cow farts and human breathing. The powers that ought not be also are pushing us towards an all electric future that they know will never work. Then you add in the smart phones and streaming everything, plus the rising costs caused by the supply chain disruptions during the scamdemic and runaway spending, wars being kicked off all around the globe. No sooner one starts to die down and they fire up a new one. Make no mistake its not just racing feeling the bite and we all know it. Right now in Montana the feds are cutting of water access to ranchers, further straining our food supply. Racing is the canary in the coal mine, so pay attention because the next several years are gonna get tougher, I don't care which party you endorse. There is considerable evidence by 2032 Republic style governments will fail. After that depending on how things shake out, there may be a very bright future, but for now sadly I expect to see much more Eastbays being thrown on the scrap heap as the economics continue to erode. We've been very blessed to have lived in the times we've lived in, but sadly a lot of it was on borrowed money and the bill is coming due. Bandits have infiltrated our governments and corporations and they are pillaging the coffers as we speak, pensions, 401K's, healthcare, property rights, even bank accounts are vulnerable. They already begun to prepare for then next crash and they've passed legislation to make it legal to use your money to bail them out. They know the jig is up, they just hope you don't wise up to whats happening before they can steal the art off the walls and empty the fridge. London bridge is falling down...

Probably now getting a better idea about why people have been buying guns and ammo for a number of years now. GOVERNMENT HAS OUTGROWN ITS BRITCHES and will not cease until forced to do so.

kidrock
01-07-2024, 05:44 PM
I read an article a couple of days ago that said that a high percentage of Gen Z don't care about sports in general.

jog49
01-07-2024, 10:33 PM
From my observations, that seems to be the case SO the outlook for sports, in general, in the future is bleak.

Paradox28
01-08-2024, 08:27 AM
IMO, weekly racing has long been a death sentence for a track. They may not realize it, at first, but eventually all those losses add up to a huge amount. If the sport is hard enough for the average man to afford now..why would it make sense to try and race every weekend and cost everyone more money? Tracks are the forgotten entity in all the costs. Most people will greatly over-estimate the number of people who attend the race, not many think about all the outside costs on top of the purse, and most don't care about the track surviving when it comes down to it. Streaming has crippled grassroots racing and if the most powerful group in dirt racing wasn't beating the drum to tell everyone it isn't, more people would see the truth.

Billy_the_kid
01-08-2024, 08:29 AM
From my observations, that seems to be the case SO the outlook for sports, in general, in the future is bleak.Fairbury is running a strong weekly program, maybe more promotors should find out what it is that they're doing. They have a good racing surface. They have a good payout. They have good fan pricing. And they finish in a timely manor. JMO

Paradox28
01-08-2024, 08:33 AM
Fairbury is a unicorn because they are located in a town that absolutely embraces the race track as part of its history. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist at 99% of tracks across America.

Billy_the_kid
01-08-2024, 09:34 AM
Fairbury is a unicorn because they are located in a town that absolutely embraces the race track as part of its history. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist at 99% of tracks across America.I hear you but they wouldn't be embracing the track if they were not doing the things mentioned. Thats why the track is successful.

Highside Hustler25
01-08-2024, 10:14 AM
I hear you but they wouldn't be embracing the track if they were not doing the things mentioned. Thats why the track is successful.

Absolutely. The town supports the track but their is only about 3000 people in the town of Fairbury so their is more to it then that. Other tracks see it. That's why you see Matt Curl promoting at other venues and their track crew prepping surfaces at other major events.

kidrock
01-08-2024, 12:49 PM
Fairbury is running a strong weekly program, maybe more promotors should find out what it is that they're doing. They have a good racing surface. They have a good payout. They have good fan pricing. And they finish in a timely manor. JMO

What about their fan base for weekly shows?

ZERO25
01-09-2024, 09:06 PM
From Dustin Hughes on Facebook.

If you don’t believe me that Big Shows and Big Corporations isn’t killing weekly racing than you can read it here from the man himself !!! I give weekly dirt track racing five more years tops.

East Bay Raceway Park:

The Story Behind its Final Season

DirtJanuary 3, 2024

Mike Adaskaveg

When East Bay Raceway Park concludes the 2024 season in October, it will close its gates for good. The owner and promoter of the Tampa, Florida, track, Al Varnadore, admitted the decision to sell the facility didn’t make him popular.

“I’m the most hated man in Hillsborough County,” Varnadore said. “The people on the internet are angry — real angry — and some of them from as far away as Iowa are sticking their noses into my business. They come here once a year and don’t see the big picture. The track is losing money — but I went forward with a big schedule for our last season — and I didn’t have to.”

That 2024 schedule begins as it has done for decades, the Winternationals. That starts on January 17 with the Top Gun Sprints as the headliner. The Winternationals features a who’s who of racing divisions and series. Crate Racin’ USA late models. UMP modifieds. Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series. High Limit Sprint Car Series. 360 sprint cars.

The season concludes on October 12 with a $50,000-to-win Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series race dubbed the “Grand Finale.”

However, in between those bookend events is a weekly racing program, just like at many other oval tracks in the U.S.

“East Bay Raceway Park does not make money in the regular season,” said Varnadore. “We do well in January and February, but the rest of the year it is a struggle to keep the place open.”

The traveling series have also played a role in shrinking profit margins for tracks, according to Varnadore.

“The million-dollar late model drivers are complaining how much they are losing,” Varnadore said. “The series promoters want higher purses. Pay-per-view is great for people who like to sit at home, but the money they are paying isn’t coming back to the racetracks. We can’t have every fan in front of a home TV set — we need to sell hot dogs to survive.”

More than four years ago Varnadore announced the sale of East Bay Raceway Park to The Mosaic Company, a phosphate mining company that owns land neighboring the track.

“When I made the deal with Mosaic, I promised our racers there would be five more years of racing,” Varnadore said. “I wanted to give them plenty of time to decide if they wanted to phase out or race elsewhere.”

Varnadore forecasted the future for where East Bay Raceway Park resides now.

“On November 7, 2024, the 28 acres the track is on changes hands,” said Varnadore. “There will be no more East Bay Raceway Park. It will be another mountain of dirt left over from mining phosphate.”

Al Varnadore also made a prediction for what dirt-track racing will look like.

“Special events will replace weekly racing at most racetracks in five to 10 years,” Varnadore said. “The companies that own the series will need to own the racetracks. They have to be able to pay the purses and do the things it takes to make it all work.”

When the gates finally close on East Bay Raceway Park, it will be a bittersweet moment for Varnadore.

“I just want to relax and spend time with my grandchildren,” said Varnadore. “I worked hard — awfully hard — for 22 years. I won’t rule out that I will still be involved in something racing. I just won’t put myself at risk by investing in a racetrack.”

Al Varnadore, owner and promoter of East Bay Raceway Park.
Nathan Stephens

Hey Al, why dont you start telling the truth. You were in the middle of being foreclosed on by your "lady" banker, and sold the place cheap to Mosaic to keep from losing it! You only found out because you saw the 500k investment architectural drawings. H er and her family are huge race fans and extremely good business owners!

Fast Wheels
01-12-2024, 06:30 PM
There are many factors that have killed racing. One of the top factors is the people that pocket money selling chassis, racing engines, tires, shocks and anything else. Race car drivers are the smartest people and those with money will pay anything to win. This is driven the cost of racing sky high.

Another huge factor is these low-cost Internet broadcast.

if a track controls their own pay-per-view, and gets the profits from it, it might help the business continue its revenue.

But these tracks that have bought into being broadcast on Flo Racing have just been playing stupid. I think most of them broadcast on flow for their ego of being on TV or the series force them to. There is no way they’re getting any money from the broadcast when flo only charges $150 a year. As a race fan, it makes much more sense to sit home and watch it on TV. The facilities are (normally) cleaner at home, the seats are more comfortable, the food is better, no gas, expense, and no waste to travel on a rain out.

Fast Wheels
01-12-2024, 06:33 PM
There are many factors that have killed racing. One of the top factors is the people that pocket money selling chassis, racing engines, tires, shocks and anything else. Race car drivers are the smartest people and those with money will pay anything to win. This is driven the cost of racing sky high.

Also, these high dollar purses for all classes. do nothing to forward the sport. Including the super late models. It just encourages race teams to spend more money to win. The purses have been jacked up so much now that a $50,000 win race is no big deal. I don’t see how any promoter makes a dime of having one of these races these days.

Another huge factor is these low-cost Internet broadcast.

if a track controls their own pay-per-view, and gets the profits from it, it might help the business continue its revenue.

But these tracks that have bought into being broadcast on Flo Racing have just been playing stupid. I think most of them broadcast on flow for their ego of being on TV or the series force them to. There is no way they’re getting any money from the broadcast when flo only charges $150 a year. As a race fan, it makes much more sense to sit home and watch it on TV. The facilities are (normally) cleaner at home, the seats are more comfortable, the food is better, no gas, expense, and no waste to travel on a rain out.

dynotimeonly
01-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Flo, MAV, DirtVision, HTF streaming will be the death of the sport. Like it or hate it, it's the truth. PPV is coming next to ALL sports. You wanna watch a Sunday afternoon football game? Belly up sunshine, it's gonna cost you.

jog49
01-24-2024, 05:47 PM
Of all the reasons listed, at the top of the heap is the fact that these younger generations have NO interest in racing and could care less if the venues survive. And as one might imagine, they won't survive!

dirtcrazy4u
01-24-2024, 06:40 PM
Younger Gen z people are not into racing. Bad
Promotors that could care less but think there doing right by opening the gate every week. Bad

Case in point. PPMS the Miley family lost interest in the place many years ago. Red Miley cared, after his passing I don't believe they invested a dime. After years of rumors the day came when it was finally sold. Many thought the gates would be closed. Instead, the people that bought it have slowly been listening to the racers and the people in the stands. More cars, more fans and a new attitude to the whole place is reviving PPMS.

It takes hard work on everyone's part. Some just don't care anymore.

kidrock
01-25-2024, 06:30 AM
Flo, MAV, DirtVision, HTF streaming will be the death of the sport. Like it or hate it, it's the truth. PPV is coming next to ALL sports. You wanna watch a Sunday afternoon football game? Belly up sunshine, it's gonna cost you.

I think you are right about PPV will be the next thing.

TS FAN
01-25-2024, 07:19 AM
PPV is already here obviously. However the NFL tried it for one of the playoff games and it was a disaster. I know Nascar is going to try it in 2025 for 10 races. Not sure how that will turn out.

I think dirt track racing is in great shape. I think the broadcasting of events is a money maker for tracks that want to progress. I think there is far too much worry about doom.