PDA

View Full Version : What's Going On??

Cranky
02-02-2024, 05:15 PM
Been watching Lucas Oil raced amongst others out in Florida. I'm noticing alot of the cars are locking up the left front on entry as well as sparks coming from only the LR? Are teams only utilizing left side braking now? They use to turn off the RF and that could still be what's going on with the left front lock up but how about just the sparking LR? Are the turning off both Right side calipers now? Just some observations that I've noticed??

TheJet-09
02-02-2024, 07:08 PM
I'm not certain, but just guessing..what you're seeing with the LF is a combination of the LF being tethered and the car rolling onto the RR (so the LF isn't actually in contact with the surface at that point). As for the sparks, can't say but I do know some brands of pads spark a lot more than others.

But for what it's worth, 20+ years ago, I broke a RR caliper mount coming off of turn 4 on my first lap of qualifying a Limited Late Model, which then aided me in stuffing it in the wall going into turn 1 (which consequently took out the RF brake/suspension). Pieced the car together and ran a 100 lap race with only the LF and LR brakes. The car wouldn't have "stopped" too well if I had to, but it sure did suck down to the bottom when on the brakes, like nothing else I had ever driven.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-02-2024, 07:09 PM
Probably different pads on LR vs rr. Doesn't make sense, really, but that never stops the crowd from doing stuff then realizing it was wrong.

Jking24
02-04-2024, 05:30 PM
Probably different pads on LR vs rr. Doesn't make sense, really, but that never stops the crowd from doing stuff then realizing it was wrong.You gotta remember their all running that 10k limited slip at least that's what the salesman said

fastford
02-05-2024, 09:32 AM
Probably different pads on LR vs rr. Doesn't make sense, really, but that never stops the crowd from doing stuff then realizing it was wrong.

unless they are running a brake floater on lf rear where a super aggressive pad helps , we did it before all the soft rt front came popular

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-05-2024, 10:37 AM
unless they are running a brake floater on lf rear where a super aggressive pad helps , we did it before all the soft rt front came popular

Agree on that or some sort of diff. I'm not sure if a floater is even legal anymore, with the extra bar and all...

We used to run floaters on 4 links too

manwplan
02-05-2024, 11:46 AM
If I ran a series those super sparky brake pads would be illegal. I've had drivers tell me its super distracting to be behind that. Also we all talk about safety but throwing a shower of sparks at the fuel cell is somehow ok.

Ltemodel
02-05-2024, 05:13 PM
Years ago I was told the sparking on the left rear was due to the nickel content in the rotors. Usually, it was the Performance Friction stuff. They are quite a bit more money, but they are supposed to be a better rotor.

billetbirdcage
02-07-2024, 12:23 AM
Been watching Lucas Oil raced amongst others out in Florida. I'm noticing alot of the cars are locking up the left front on entry as well as sparks coming from only the LR? Are teams only utilizing left side braking now? They use to turn off the RF and that could still be what's going on with the left front lock up but how about just the sparking LR? Are the turning off both Right side calipers now? Just some observations that I've noticed??

A friend at one of the big companies saw this post and reached out to me thru a text since he isn't registered here.

Here is what he had to say: "The ones we sell spark a lot until they get up to temperature. Which means the LR usually sparks the whole race while the RR will stop since it has less air and runs hotter."

Lizardracing
02-07-2024, 09:17 AM
Billet, that is the case with my car on the DTC30's. That and the wheel offset on the RR has the rotor tucked into the wheel more so it's more noticeable.