how much $ does it cost you to go racing?

Default how much $ does it cost you to go racing?

Ive been thinking more and more about crate racing next season, and im really wanting to do it...just wondering, around how much money on average does it cost to go racing every weekend.

-race entry
    -how much fuel do you use in your race car
    -how long do tires usually last ya

the little stuff that I am leaving out also include that. Thanks everyone in advance!

well its a $100 for fastrak weekly points series then another $100 for every touring series you want to run which for us we run the north east and mid ohio valley series. then when you run a touring race its at least $75- $100 for every touring race u enter. we use about 10-12 gallons of race fuel anight after we re fill the car after the feature. @ $7-$8 a gallon. we change are tires about every 3-4 races. u can run them longer but your givin up speed as the edges wear off.

fastrak series and touring series fee's $300
    touring race entry fee's 75-100$ x 15-25 races $1125-$1875
    tires $ 135 eash no tire deals either
    fuel for car around $70-80 a night
    YOU GET 60 BUCK TO START THE RACE AT ELKINS
    YOU GET 90 AT TYLER AND YOU GET 300 FOR SUPERLATE MODELS
    IM PRETTY SURE WHERE GETTING ****ED

oh you run racing fuel in your crate? I was jw, Ive heard different ppl runnin different stuff..some e-85, 93 octane, and racing fuel. Thats pretty good 3 or 4 races on a set of tires. cant belive it cost that much to enter I figured it would be about half that. thanks for the info..anyone else?

we have ran 87-93 ocatne but it seems to be inconsistant and 93 octane is up around $3-3.50 gallon so we just chose to run race fuel.they series fee's and touring entry fee is my big complain. and the starting puse on reguler nights just sucks. if you finish in tghe top 50 in fastrak weekly points series you get some money back not sure how much though. and theres like 250-300 cars also

The entry fees aside this is what i've been seeing with our budget:

Fuel: 3-5 gal / night 100 octane unleaded $6.80/gal = $34

Tires: Average 1 tire per 2 races @ $135ea = $67.50

Valve springs: new every 5 races, $100/set = $20.00

Filters and fluids every 5 races total $85 = $17.00

Total per race = $138.50

Now, with that being said, our total expenses for damages because of inexplicable crashes for the year = $716.75/race

wow, thanks for info! I was just wondering about how much it would cost to race each week. I work for myself and I was wanting to see if my income could support the racing and upkeep. im just wanting to race just because its been a life long dream of mine, im 21 and I dont have any kids or bills so im going to give it a shot, ya only live once right haha

It's really tough to put a figure on it, man. you never know what's going to happen. Sure the money is important, but you have to appreciate the time it takes to maintain these cars. Especially on a strict budget you'll need to be able to spend the time on prevenative maintenance as well as fixing things that would normally be thrown away by someone with deeper pockets. I say where there's a will, there's a way. go for it! and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JTSjet View Post
    The entry fees aside this is what i've been seeing with our budget:

Fuel: 3-5 gal / night 100 octane unleaded $6.80/gal = $34

Tires: Average 1 tire per 2 races @ $135ea = $67.50

Valve springs: new every 5 races, $100/set = $20.00

Filters and fluids every 5 races total $85 = $17.00

Total per race = $138.50

Now, with that being said, our total expenses for damages because of inexplicable crashes for the year = $716.75/race
    I have yet to have my car out this year, but I am on a $100 a week budget. We will run 2 times a month and it's $50 for last place. So I have a minimum of $250 to spend for each race. I was planning along the lines of JTSjet on a budget.....with exception to his accident expenses haha. Sorry man you must be having a rough season. We will have a few sponsors to help with tires, and to assist in any crash repairs. But it won't be much money, just enough to help.

As for the fuel we plan on running 93 octane. The good part with it is the price, the bad part is it's inconsistent. If you decide to run pump gas you will need to weigh your fuel, check plug readings and re-jet accordingly every time you refuel. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle if you keep good records.

So my projected expenses per race were:

Entry Fee and pit pass - $75

Fuel 10 gals/$3.50 - $35

1 new tire $135 w/ sponsor help $35

Filters and Fluids every 5 races - $25

Misc stuff - $35

That gets me to $205. That is not including any food, drinks, gas for the hauler, and I am pretty close to going over my $250 budget. I will have some sponsor help, so it shouldn't be so tight week to week. But a breakage or a crash, I know I am sitting until I can fix it. Racing on a budget .
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Yea I know its hard to put an exact number on it, but at least now I know roughly what its gonna take to be able to race and have fun!

Thats why I like crates so much, late models are by far the coolest and meanest lookin cars on a dirt track, the look fast sittin still haha, but you dont have to have $50k+ tied up into one like you do in a super late model. You can drive the same stuff the big boys do with payin that big money for one. I think crate racing is an awesome way for ppl with low budgets to go out and have a great time racing. I hope the sport expands so there will always be a place to race.

I know alot of ppl dont like what stewarts doin by have the prelude, but if it keeps this awesome sport alive then so be it, I hate when someone thats never even been to a race but has seen or heard about the prelude all of a sudden there diehard dirt track fans, but like I said if it draws attention and sponsers to the sport then that will only give us(ppl that have grew up watching and following these drivers) a chance to do that time and time again.

my background comes from racing go-karts, e-mods, microsprints, 358 sprints, limited late models and now dabbling in crate late models. we made the change from limiteds to crates for economical reasons ('08-'09 sucked) this year so i'm new to it. the price tag on the engine package was definitely appealing and was the whole reason for the switch. For the operating expenses on an alcohol 358 alone (freshened every year and a crap load of fuel, drop a valve once a year) was enough to buy a new 604.

HOWEVER, although the biggest advantage of racing crates is the expense vs. payout, it is also its downfall. i do not intend to discourage any aspiring racers from getting into the game, but i've torn up more equipment in 4 races in a crate than i did in 3 years in a LLM. i've got the receipts to prove it. after reviewing and analyzing everything i can, i don't see where i have been the common denominator in the incidents that i have experienced. take that for what you will, i have a biased opinion. without candy coating it, virtually any(one/idiot) can afford to put one of these cars together. just be realistic with your abilities and experience. it's not a toy. these are things i wish someone would have told me before i got into this, just paying it forward.

p.s. yes, this year has been less than stellar

yea I know what ya mean about that there not a toy, I know its gonna cost alot of money, and probally alot more that I expect it to and have lol..but im still gonna give it a shot, i have to, the timing is just to right it seems like everything is fallin right into place for me..I know i probally wont get back 1/3 of what I spend..but i can live with that..I guess im going through a mid-life crisis at 21!

thanks for all the advice and info though everyone..its been really helpful

i agree with you i have ran about 12 races this year and i have been beat and banged on every time. my car looks like a derby car now. but i keep fixing it so i guess its my fault haha. and the wrecks ive got stuck in hasnt been my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by JTSjet View Post
    my background comes from racing go-karts, e-mods, microsprints, 358 sprints, limited late models and now dabbling in crate late models. we made the change from limiteds to crates for economical reasons ('08-'09 sucked) this year so i'm new to it. the price tag on the engine package was definitely appealing and was the whole reason for the switch. For the operating expenses on an alcohol 358 alone (freshened every year and a crap load of fuel, drop a valve once a year) was enough to buy a new 604.

HOWEVER, although the biggest advantage of racing crates is the expense vs. payout, it is also its downfall. i do not intend to discourage any aspiring racers from getting into the game, but i've torn up more equipment in 4 races in a crate than i did in 3 years in a LLM. i've got the receipts to prove it. after reviewing and analyzing everything i can, i don't see where i have been the common denominator in the incidents that i have experienced. take that for what you will, i have a biased opinion. without candy coating it, virtually any(one/idiot) can afford to put one of these cars together. just be realistic with your abilities and experience. it's not a toy. these are things i wish someone would have told me before i got into this, just paying it forward.

p.s. yes, this year has been less than stellar
    That's too bad! If you listen to all the hype Fastrack and all the LEAD people say....Yeh,it's sounds great.My point is,you can BUILD an engine with the same horsepower for less than half a crate engine costs.It is nothing more than a way to get into your pocket and make the sanction owners richer with ties to the sellers.Then.....the fuel is junk,buy ours...........Buy my STAMPED tires..........It's just a way for them to control the money you spend to race.

Default cost involved

there is a way to make a small fortune in racing!!

start with a large fortune!!! lol

Guess I will have to chime in here a bit. lol!!

Crate or Super, cars cost the same except for about $30,000 in engine cost.

Annual weekly membership fee $100. Running for almost $50,000 in point money and you never have to leave your weekly track to particpate.

Touring. $100 annual fee. You are running for a minimum of a $10,000 point fund in addition to the weekly point fund.

GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. NO member fee. Just have to be a member and run 12 events with FASTRAK anywhere to qualify to come. pays $30,000 to win and the top 24 for a total of 3 races at the end of the year.

Touring events do have entry fees as do most series. In most if not all cases the starting money is at least double the entry fee.

Tires are $135. No tire deals. That way the little guys are not paying the bills for the big guys. Fair for everyone. About $30 less than the open tires in most cases. The do last longer than the open tires.

If its your dream, then we would love to have you.

www.fastrakracing.com