BP gas stations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BP gas stations?

where i live in western Ky, almost all the BP gas stations have changed their name to Marathon....did they buy them out or parts owners in BP and changed the name cause they are afraid ppl will stop buying fuel from it??? just curious why the change?

i googled it and this is what i found what BP actually owns.....
    BP franchises and brands include

BP
    Amoco
    Arco
    Aral
    Castrol
    am/pm
    Wild Bean Cafe

and are associated with

Shell-Mex
    Marks and Spencer/ M&S Simply Food

It is a situation where the gas stations are private owned. They switched what gas they were selling because mis-informed people who boycotted them were hurting the store owner and not BP. Many in my area have switched to selling Shell gas.

What's all the discussion about BP and gas stations, I don't get the connection? If you eat properly and exercise daily your blood pressure will go down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It is a situation where the gas stations are private owned. They switched what gas they were selling because mis-informed people who boycotted them were hurting the store owner and not BP. Many in my area have switched to selling Shell gas.
    So there is a drop in quality of gas at BP or not? I used BP gas for the past 5 years and when all the problems started I switched to Marathon. I'm I doing any thing to maintain quality, or did all this not affect BP quality?

My thinking is with the enormous loss that BP has encountered, they will have to cut back (which means quality is down) in order to survive. I hate to think I'm dumping crap gas into a very closely maintained engine!!!

I could be wrong on this...

All I know is NO CITGO...

Quote Originally Posted by blackDLMford View Post
    So there is a drop in quality of gas at BP or not? I used BP gas for the past 5 years and when all the problems started I switched to Marathon. I'm I doing any thing to maintain quality, or did all this not affect BP quality?
    I seriously doubt that the quality of the gas sold at a BP station is any different than last year.

I seriously doubt that the quality of the gas sold at a BP station is any different than last year.
    Just has a little higher moisture content!

But really gasoline is a big co-op system. you could be bying CITGO refined fuel at your local SHELL or SUNOCO station. They have different additive packages that is about all and most no brand name uses a generic additive package but the same base fuel.

I switched from BP to Marathon Jan 4 of 2010. I got very lucky onj the spill deal. I have hated being a BP dealer ever since the Clinton administration pushed British Petroleum to purchase American Oil Company (AMOCO). The quality and communication went down immediatly. Many stations in the Chicago area lost half their business with the switch, I lost 15%. Marathon is great and if I have a problem I have rep who answer my phone calls anytime, this was not the case with BP. BP runs rheir business like a dictatorship, they could care less what I had to say. I say keep up the BP boycott, the individual dealers have the option to change brands.

Yeah your prolly right, Bubba brings up a good point if they want to stay in good standings there best bet is to stay on there toes! I know I do when I'm in trouble.

Still I think I'll continue with Marathon, probably don't make any difference though...?

Thats true...OIL is traded on the market...Still, CITGO is a Commie/Dictator/Guvment owned company...

BTW, do you know if these retailers (Quick Stops) ADD those additives to their gasoline like they did when they were Service Stations?...

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
    Just has a little higher moisture content!

But really gasoline is a big co-op system. you could be bying CITGO refined fuel at your local SHELL or SUNOCO station. They have different additive packages that is about all and most no brand name uses a generic additive package but the same base fuel.
    Last edited by LowRider2; 07-08-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Marathon adds STP before it comes to me.

Scientifically Tested Petroleum is the racers edge...

It all comes out of the same pipeline regardless of what brand station it goes to.
    43 races this year.
    Tulsa Expo- 5, Volusia- 3, Bubba Raceway- 3
    Dillon Speedway- 1, Myrtle Beach Speedway-1, Hickory Speedway- 1
    Southern National- 1, Lincoln Speedway-2, Williams Grove Speedway-2, Indiana State Fairgrounds-1
    Anderson (Indiana) Speedway-1, Indianapolis Motor Speedway- 1
    Bloomington Speedway-1, Lawrenceburg Speedway-1
    Kokomo Speedway- 1, Port Royal-1, Limaland- 1
    Eldora- 2, Knoxville- 6, Oskaloosa-2, Attica-2, Wayne County-1

Not all together true....There is more than ONE refinery...Individual stations are SUSPOSED to add the additives...But do they?...

Quote Originally Posted by slick01 View Post
    It all comes out of the same pipeline regardless of what brand station it goes to.
    Last edited by LowRider2; 07-08-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider2 View Post
    Not all together true....There is more than ONE refinery...Individual stations are SUSPOSED to add the additives...But do they?...
    I was being over simple. Here in SC, 2 major pipelines deliver gas to various terminals. The delivery trucks load up at those terminals and deliver to all area gas stations. You are right, they are "supposed" to add additives.

http://www.theodora.com/pipelines/no...pipelines.html
    43 races this year.
    Tulsa Expo- 5, Volusia- 3, Bubba Raceway- 3
    Dillon Speedway- 1, Myrtle Beach Speedway-1, Hickory Speedway- 1
    Southern National- 1, Lincoln Speedway-2, Williams Grove Speedway-2, Indiana State Fairgrounds-1
    Anderson (Indiana) Speedway-1, Indianapolis Motor Speedway- 1
    Bloomington Speedway-1, Lawrenceburg Speedway-1
    Kokomo Speedway- 1, Port Royal-1, Limaland- 1
    Eldora- 2, Knoxville- 6, Oskaloosa-2, Attica-2, Wayne County-1

bp needs to stay in business, so they can clean up their mess, if they go broke guess who will get stuck paying for the cleanup

Quote Originally Posted by truckerracer View Post
    bp needs to stay in business, so they can clean up their mess, if they go broke guess who will get stuck paying for the cleanup
    You and I are going to pay the bill regardless!

Citgo burns well too so does there racing fuel.