Lift bar in a mod?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Lift bar in a mod?

Is anyone running a lift bar, like what's on a late model? If so,are they using it w/a ford 9" rear? Just tossing some ideas around for next season, I've got an older chassis (2000 m&m) that I would like to try something different on. Car has a pull bar in it now. Any ideas/info is appreciated.

I've seen lots of mods with lift bars. Most are running pull bars though, not sure why..
    If your driving on the edge, you are trespassing on my property!!!

There are a few running the lift bar, Jason Hughes for one, I think they said Ruhlman race cars are and Dave Hammond motorsports have tried them. Search through the threads, there is some information on them and good luck.

I will have the lift arm in my house car at Davenport Ia next week. If you are at the track stop over and take a look at my setup. Or call me 563-659-1153

Radical under a mod,lifts the nose off the track,short pullbar works better.and is more forgiving .
    Last edited by 1Blacksheep; 10-14-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Ive been running a liftbar with a 5th and 6th coil for the past three years. Works as well as any setup. I have never had it push or lift the nose of the car. Spinner if you have any questions give me a shout, I will help if I can.....

I am wanting to run one next year. I have a multi leaf car that I am converting over to mono coilover. Does anyone know where to start with the spring and shock combo. The chassis is set up for lift bar, I just don't know how to set it up and where to start.

I've seen that the new Hughes cars are running lift arms and are bad fast. I see that GRT has a new liftarm they are offering for their modifieds and I'm looking into maybe trying one out next year. If anyone has tried one in their GRT I'm interested in some feedback and maybe some suggestions. PM me if you have any information.

hey hammond, what are you charging for your 4link brackets and what are the bar lengths you can run with them??

Quote Originally Posted by cgs View Post
    hey hammond, what are you charging for your 4link brackets and what are the bar lengths you can run with them??
    The upper bars 15,16,17 Lower bars 13,14,15,16, Set of 4 $100. Instock ready to ship. Call me 563 659 1153

I see IMCA is outlawing lift bars in 2011 , don't know why ??

Quote Originally Posted by car4cyl View Post
    I see IMCA is outlawing lift bars in 2011 , don't know why ??
    I had heard the same thing.I can't understand what ther tring to do with this new rule except to rule out a chassis maker.

Nobody that makes a lift arm has given IMCA a kick-back. When they do, the lift arm will be legal.

Thumbs up IMCA is trying to help control costs for the modified class

No, IMCA is yet again trying to preserve the Modified class. Lift bars allow more motor, and that's why they are being outlawed. If you read Brett Root's reply on this subject, you'll see the logic. I applaud them for not "following suit" with the rest of the mod community. I like racing my modified. Reposted from elbowsup.com. See below:

I e-mailed Brett Root the other day asking about the modified rules. He gave me permission to post his e-mail on Elbows up. Hopefully this will answer some of the questions being posted. My big concern is with the lift bar. I understand what Brett is saying in the e-mail and agree with most of it. I just don't understand the lift bar. It did not cost us any more to convert our 2-Bar modified last year to a 4-Bar with a lift bar than it would have to convert it to a standard 4-Bar. The only advantage I can see with the lift bar is the car handles so much better and I don't think you need as much engine.

Hi Bob:

With engine and chassis costs at an all time high, IMCA felt it necessary to address the direction of the modified division in both of those areas. While Darrell and I have talked about the claim (when I was at KSP), the days of a $325 or $525 cash claim in the IMCA Modified and Stock Car divisions are gone. While some may think that is the cure all, as the individual who deals with the issue more than anyone and also the person who has to sell the IMCA concept to race track promoters, a $325 or $525 cash claim is no longer sellable.

With that being said, open comp engine rules are also not sellable. At least not to a seasoned promoter or anyone who actually knows this industry. Those rules don't work either. Racers simply can not race on open check books and race tracks are in no position these days to be increasing purses. With this all being said, we had to take a hard look at what could be done to control some of the costs and also slow down the direction the modified division is going in.

We eliminated the high end valve train products over the course of the last 5 years in order to reduce RPM limits. RPM's kill engines and require products that are nowhere near what a budget minded, weekly racer can afford. The rev limiter is what I would anticipate as being, about the final step IMCA can take to control the valve train issues.
    Racers are still going to have engine failures, but addressing what we have really does serve a very distinct purpose. It's not perfect, but what is?

The rear suspension issue also falls under the same general idea or philosophy. As the technology advances and as that technology pushes the limits of the race car, we start to lose the original intent of the division. There is no doubt, the technology is at an all time high. There is a reason why very few weekly race tracks in the United States run Late Models weekly. Those cars have out priced the average racer and weekly race track. The modified division is clearly headed right down the same road. IMCA can either let the chassis and engine builders take our divisions down the same road, or we can step in and address what needs to be addressed. History will tell anyone that we usually do that. It's what has made the IMCA Modified division the largest and oldest running weekly division in the country.

All anyone has to do is look at the modified car counts in the state of Texas. Greenville and RPM are the only two tracks besides the IMCA sanctioned tracks in Texas that are holding any car count. They do so following IMCA rules very closely. The sportmods are playing a role in the mod decline, as well as the economy, however, I do think the rules are also becoming a factor. Cowtown no longer runs mods weekly, GP has had 5 promoters this season, PMS closed as well as some of those east Texas tracks that are either closed or running very limited schedules.
    Perhaps I'm missing something in Texas, but I'm not aware of any big successful push of open comp mod racing.

The lift bar rule is one of direction. I don't think that type of suspension has a huge performance advantage over the pull bar suspensions, but 90% of the IMCA modifieds have the pull bar. As the lift bar technology takes hold, as we suspect it is doing, that will require 90% of our members to either make that change to be competitive by changing what they got, or buying a new $18,000 race car. Neither of those options is good for the majority. It's our belief that in 5 years, lift bar technology will be required to be competitive. All we have to do is look at the Late Model weekly market, that is nearly obsolete in most parts of the country, and ask if that is a good direction for IMCA modified racing. We do not think it is. Those cars are exclusively lift bar technology.

While sportmods have their place, so do the mods. IMCA intends to keep the majority of the mod rules open, as they have been for 30 years.
    However, as issues present themselves that are clearly not in the best interests of the weekly racer, the purpose of the sanctioning body is to identify those issues and address them. If open comp race car rules were the picture of success, Texas would still have a large amount of winged mods, late models and sprinters racing weekly. The divisions that remain healthy, even in the worst economic times of a couple generations, are those that are able to match up the necessary with the unnecessary, the relative and irrelative, cost effective and not, and offer a program to racers and promoters that makes sense.

IMCA works very hard at doing just that. We're not going to make every promoter, racer or supplier happy, but we do usually meet the similar interests of everyone in this industry. If you would like to share this on elbows up, please do.

Respectfully,
    Brett Root - Vice President
    International Motor Contest Association
    1800 West D Street
    Vinton, Iowa 52349
    Phone: (319) 472-2201, ext. 212
    Fax: (319) 472-2218
    cell: (319) 270-0567
    E-mail: [email protected]

Default Lift bar

Shane I have ran lift bars on mods and late models years ago. Usually with a mono coil car you run a 225lr or 200lr spring with a 4 shock and 200, 175 on rr with a 4 or 5-3 shock. The lift bar at 36" 150spring with a dead shock and a chain. This set up also would use a 90/10 upper link shock. May have to lead rear end with adjustable lowering block to tighten car up on the slick.

Default Lift bar

Here is a Hughes.

whos car is this in the pic.

Dave Hardesty from KS....car is for sale on racingjunk

yeah cause its not legal now!! saving racers money

car isnt for sale, it is sitting in my shop, and it is perfectly legal, it will take a pullbar also, dont play that imca crap and you dont have anything to worry about.