outlaw wedge latemodels of the 70s and 80s.

Default outlaw wedge latemodels of the 70s and 80s.

Dont know if this is the right place for this. But im mostly a sprint car fan but lately ive become very interested in these cars. I was to young to watch them race ive searched on the internet and cant come up with much. any info on the awsome cars is appreciated thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickw View Post
    Dont know if this is the right place for this. But im mostly a sprint car fan but lately ive become very interested in these cars. I was to young to watch them race ive searched on the internet and cant come up with much. any info on the awsome cars is appreciated thanks.
    If you will head on over to the racing gossip section of dirt late models , there is a thread about old racing pictures . Ask paperman any question you might have and I'm sure he could answer you . There are many pics of wedge cars there to view as well .

click here http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?t=132832

just a few questions was there a sanctioning body? how many cubic inches were alot of these cars motors? were superchargers and turbos allowed? was there weight rules? any major difference in wheel base? 4 wheel drive legal?

here in the south, the wedge cars exploded on the scene around 1982. they were mostly 350's and 358's. the unlimited motor rules didn't become poplar until the mid 90's. the wedge bodies and the tall side boards allowed the drivers to race around the track at high speeds and never lift! the bodies got so wild and crazy, we had to assemble part of it at the track 'cause we couldn't get it on the trailor.the only sanction we had was , ndra, which i loved, and have very fond memories of. seems like stars came along around 1985. that's when they came out with the little body late models.
    Last edited by wtc 46; 09-26-2010 at 08:07 AM.

jerry inmon of mississippi, who drove the #D7 built a 4 wheel drive corvette one time. did'nt run it long. ray callahan of bullitt chassis built 2 mid engine wedge late models for charlie swartz and loy allen, jr. swartz 'killed' his car ,not long after. don't remember how long allen, jr ran his. the replica of swartz mid engine that you see around now was actually allen's car originally.

cool info so far guys keep it coming.