Default Radiator Question

I had water coming from my over flow line, just dripping not under pressure. At the time water temp was only 200. Radiator is a new afco with a 27-29lbs cap which is also new. Any ideas why I would be leaking water from the overflow. Could new cap be bad? By the end of the night I was down a gallon of water. This was definately coming from the over flow hose.

most likely a blown head gasket

wouldn't a blown head gasket alow water to get in oil. my oil is clear no signs of water.

What kind of radiator and what ratio are your pump pulleys? I have seen a pump lift the cap seat and cause overflow.

If a crack is just starting in the combustion camber when that cylinder fires it put a little pressure in the radaitor forcing some water out.The onlyway to find it is take the heads of and have them checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    What kind of radiator and what ratio are your pump pulleys? I have seen a pump lift the cap seat and cause overflow.
    afco radiator with a stewart warner stage 2 pump and 1-1 pulleys.

I would try and put a cooling system pressure tester on it. That should tell you if you have a crack head or anything severe. Most auto repair shops will have one, if you dont. They are pretty simple to use. Most of the ones that I have used look like a bicycle pump with a guage.

Sounds to me like simply a bad cap or a cap that is not strong enough. You need a 24lb cap.

you will have water in the oil if the gasket blows from a water passage to an oil drain back hole, if it blows from the cylinder to water passage the compression in the cyl will over pressurize the cooling system and it will pump water out of the overflow

Sometimes you can smell the coolant in the radiator and if it smells like exhaust then you have a bad head gasket or cracked head. Works on street cars, i have never tried on a race car.

your parts supply should have some strips you dip in coolant,..it will turn a certon color if exhaust is in coolant....what we use on diesel big trucks...

I have the same issue, just drips while the car sits on stands in the shop. Its a new radiator and new motor, hasn't caused me any headaches yet. I never get to 200 and run a speedway brand rad. and stewart warner stage 2 pump
    Just playin' in the clay