Thread: Plug Wires

Default Plug Wires

New engine and the plug wires will not stay on. First set was el cheapo MSD now have a set of SCOTT wires.
    AR133 Autolight plugs, straight plug heads, standard under car headers. Wires are zip tied together(homemade separated style). Plugs are clean, no dielectric grease in boots. Never had an issue like this before.
    Gill T. Azell

push the fuker on

You must not be getting the boot on all the way.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Quote Originally Posted by J20in1st View Post
    push the fuker on
    Short of taking a hammer and beating them on, they're on!
    Gill T. Azell

Quote Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
    You must not be getting the boot on all the way.
    I can feel the wire "snap" on, then I will rotate the boot back & forth to make sure it's tight. It is!
    Gill T. Azell

Quote Originally Posted by Living_Truth View Post
    Might be rudimentary suggestion: if you are running HEI style cap, be sure to have the Plug boot on the Plugs and the Dist boot on the Dist.

Other than that, not sure. We run NGK's and never have had that issue.

It is a HEI ignition system. The wires are installed correctly as the distributor end has a "hat" on top of the boot.
    Was wondering if maybe Autolite had decreased the o.d. of the porcelain for some reason.
    Sure, occasionally someone will get 1 wire not on all the way and it will fall off, but this is strange, different sides of engine, different sets of Autolite plugs & 2 sets of wires, and it's not the same wires coming off.
    Going to tie strap wires to valve cover stud and take a small tie strap and tie the plug boot to the spark plug insulator. Going out of town to a "big" race next weekend and cannot afford b.s. such as this.
    Gill T. Azell

I run autolites and scott plug wires. Never have had that problem. Normally you have to put a screw driver behind them to get them off. If you have tried different plugs and another set of wires.....it must be something your doing.

Take a small zip tie and put one around each boot.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Is it really humid? I have seen this happen and the ONLY thing we could come up with was there was air with moisture staying in the boot and it would get hot and pop them off. We started using a coffee stir straw in them when we put them on and pull it out to allow a path for the air to get out. Never got a good answer as to why they did it but it quite happening when we used the straw.

it is called "burping". sometimes you have to put a little hair spray inside the boot and burp. then you have to really work to get the wires off.