Default Head Gasket Leakage

Does anyone have any advice on a better head gasket for steel head small block GM to keep the center cylinders sealed better. I realize it's an age old problem but you never know what better gaskets or advice someone has. Been using 1034 felpro.

What bore size? Bill
    Hendren Racing Engines
    1310 U.S. Hwy 221 North
    Rutherfordton North Carolina 28139
    828-286-0780
    www.hendrensracingengines.com

Bore is 4.125 Little M block using pro action 14 degree heads.

The Fel Pro MLS gasket is better but shouldn't be necessary,we have many SB2.2 engines @ 15.0 comp ratio running the 1034 with no problems. the problem with changing gaskets is the MLS will distort the bore different than the 1043. Make sure your head is dead flat and smooth,we have seen heads that look like they were resurfaced with a chain saw. The 14 deg head is a fast burn chamber and doesn't like more than 32 / 33 deg timing using good quality race gas. Bill
    Hendren Racing Engines
    1310 U.S. Hwy 221 North
    Rutherfordton North Carolina 28139
    828-286-0780
    www.hendrensracingengines.com

Timing 34 using late model plus fuel. I also have quite a challange keeping a valve cover gasket in the left side. Exhaust heat on center is so close it is really hard to keep a gasket. Right side never is a issue which I assume because it gets more air by it to keep it cooler? Have switched heads from side to side and still have same gasket problem. Bill do you have any sugestions? Both head gaskets have the center leakage issue and both heads are a challange to keep exhaust leakdown to a minimum on the center cylinders. I like these heads and performance but they sure are a maintanance challange.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench1 View Post
    Timing 34 using late model plus fuel. I also have quite a challange keeping a valve cover gasket in the left side. Exhaust heat on center is so close it is really hard to keep a gasket. Right side never is a issue which I assume because it gets more air by it to keep it cooler? Have switched heads from side to side and still have same gasket problem. Bill do you have any sugestions? Both head gaskets have the center leakage issue and both heads are a challange to keep exhaust leakdown to a minimum on the center cylinders. I like these heads and performance but they sure are a maintanance challange.

I HEAR YA on the valve cover gaskets!!!! Same thing here,the center only,is a b!tch to seal.I ground off the header center flanges at an angle all i could and changed to the cork vavle cover gaskets.That's helped a lot.The silicone gaskets just melted everytime,the cork has stayed a lot longer.
    As far as head gaskets..i was told to use Cometic. Looking at them you wouldn't think they would even seal drillin' mud,but they hold perfectly.