Thread: piston choice

Default piston choice

So I currently run a fairly decent 360 in a local street stock class. Over the winter i want to build a fairly inexpensive back up just in case. I already have a eagle 3.48 crank, thats been turned. I already have a set of scat 5.7 4130 I beams , I am in need of a piston. I have been looking at the probe FPS pistons, and I have also been looking at the Keith Black FHR pistons. will probably end up using a set of vortec heads because thats what i already have, 3,000 lb car, 1/4 mile track, 4412 carb,

I have used the probe pistons in one of my motors and I have not had any issues with them. I used the SRS series pistons. Check out Skip Whites performance out of tennessee. They sell the probe stuff pretty cheap.

Default Mahle pistons

Our customers won almost every major street stock event in central Ms, using Mahle Power Pack pistons. You would have to spend $1000 on a set of custom pistons, to make any more power than these make out of the box.
    1.5-1.5-3mm rings, coated skirts/tops, round wire locks, and a narrow 2.250 pin. TB

i like the mahles as well but i've switched now to srp professional series. thinner rings, napier second, short pins, fsr design, coated skirts, and lighter than the mahles. i got a set of flat tops for just over $500 with rings.

I have been running the same set of Manley Platinum flat top 2bbl series pistons for the last 5 years. 501gr with the pin. I believe around $520 for the set.

If I was going to build an inexpensive backup....I would either find a good used set of pistons on Ebay or buy a new set of Keith Black hypers.

use the mahle power pack or the srp will not finda better piston for the money

how many eye brows the mahl power pac's got,..my rules demand 4,..like that thay come with rings pins an locks!!!

Just have the machine add some very small reliefs in them. Grey area doesn't say they have to be the same size does it??
    Josh K.

There has been a ton of breakage issues with mahle pistons

Default Mahle pistons

Are you reading this on the net, or have you actually seen this for yourself. Call me, or John at Mahle, and we can give you a list of satisfied clients. TB

In my recent shopping for a new motor 3 nationally recognized major engine builders have all said the only thing mahle pistons do is break. and I do infact have 2 pistons from a supr spec engine with cracks around the valve releifs and there was no valve contact that caused them. I can care less either way what someone runs in there motor, i dont build or sell motors i build decks, but i can assure you there will not be mahle pistons in any of my motors