Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default low oil pressure need help

I have a 2.3 stock rods, pistons, and crank with all new bearings and rings. The head is soild lift with a Johnson cam. the problem i am have is i am only getting 20 psi of oil pressure at idle. I have put a new oil pump new guage checked the bottom of the dist. when i roll the motor over befor with out puting the fire to it i only get 5 to 7 psi. i put the restrickter in and took it out it makes no diff. I am lost need help trying to race friday.

one more thing i think it is in the haed some where. i have had it on my last two motor and both are doing the same thing. maybe cam bearing ??????????????? this haed has 2years of races on it. thanks hope you guys can help

Definatly could be cam bearings.You should have replaced them when you did the rest of the motor.Aux bearings also.Check the lifter bosses for cracks and also look for any crazy or improper machine work that may have been done to head.If the problem is in the head there is excessive oil bleeding off somewhere.Try removing the valve cover and and crank motor over,look for large flows of oil that are not consistent through out the head.

prolly gots bad pickup tube barrings will give u good preshur cold and bad hot or do u got bad preshur all the time

it was the cam bearings. i had good oil presure at start up but them fell off. it is now 45 psi at 1800 rpm cold and like 24 psi at 1800 rpm hot. does this sound right for a stock pump? the pressure goes up hit you give it gas. seems right to me. thanks for all the help guys.

doesnt sound right to me...i run a melling 86C pump and right at 60 at cold idle and about 50 hot idle
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Back from Thanksgiving with the Family,
    I think your right I'll have to change the crankshaft, it is a small journal, I have never check the clutch for to much travel. To bad no one makes a full bearing for the small journal blocks? I would like to get a billet crankshaft but they are real spendy !

i gotta billet crank and it didnt make me no faster. i coulda got me a newer trailer maybe a duble wide for what that crank cost

You want to run the turbo pump.

says who???

www.raceidaho.com

Quote Originally Posted by soonersublime View Post
    You want to run the turbo pump.
    Y? thar aint no diff. i spose u is one of them guys that thinks turbo rods and cranks is better too.

Race Engineering says to and so does my engine builder. What the difference is I don't remember but they are supposed to be a better pump. Part #86E if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by boportt View Post
    Y? thar aint no diff. i spose u is one of them guys that thinks turbo rods and cranks is better too.
    yeah and 5.7 rods turns your engine into a stroker motor.

The 86E Turbo pump is a better pump. Whether it's a different part then the 86c I don't know, who knows maybe it's one of mellings older pumps that hasn't been made in China and is tearing motors up on a weekly basis by flaking but in the end it's a better part # to use when you buy a pump. Believe me if you want I really don't care.

thats interesting,ive been using the 86C for 12 years now and never had any kind of a failure...turn from 7200-8200

www.raceidaho.com

Quote Originally Posted by car62 View Post
    thats interesting,ive been using the 86C for 12 years now and never had any kind of a failure...turn from 7200-8200
    Cool. I ran the 86e for 4 years. I moved on to a different class but still enjoy lima motor. I believe the problems w/ the 86c have been happening around the past 2 or 3 years rather than the past 12 years. So maybe it's a problem you haven't had to worry about. Depends on where you get your pumps too. Joe(JBV) has talked about this before but it's been a couple of years since anyone on here has mentioned it.

it dont sound right to me now. made it a lap and a half then the big bang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    broke number one rod right in the middle of the rod. i must of spun a the rod bearing. i checked the bearings when i changed the pump. sucks for me good for the guy that won the race hahahah. thank for the help guys

need a new bottom end now any one got any for sale

I have 4- 2.3 short blocks for sale.Were remanufactured by a FORD certified remanufacturer.All are small journal late model blocks.Have the distributer hole,the fuel pump hole is not cut out.Come with .020 pistons,stock crank and rods,oil pump and pick up,aux shaft,aluminum oil pan.$400.00 ea.Buy all 4 - $1200 Pick - up only Milford Indiana

Well I don't know what difference is yet in M86C and M86E, but i do see one is priced $10 higher than the other and one weighs about a hundredth of a shipping pound more

And I've done searching and see that the 86c fits on pintos, the 86e fits on t-bird turbos, and m127 fits on mustangs. now this is just what i'm pulling from parts stores info, so don't kill the messenger.

I'd like to know on the side, since the pinto was a front sump motor and the mustang is a rear sump motor, are the pickup tubes interchangeable between a 127 and a 86?
    Last edited by that dude; 11-27-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Doesn't say anything about the 86C but here is where raceeng.com has recommended the 86E

http://www.raceeng.com/techsheets/23...rt%20block.pdf

I will go to the parts store and see if I can look at both tomorrow and see if their is a difference.

I'm using the M127 pump with the pickup tube that came stock in a ranger I believe.

If I swapped over to a M86E the next time I build another bottom end, Do I need a specific pickup tube just for an 86E?