eddieb1965 Guest

Default Cam Degreeing problem

Ive tried 2 different cams with the same results,I can get the intake valve opening degree on both cams perfect,the closing point is always way off. Example, Cam Card says int. valve opens 39 deg-closes at 71 deg. Running crank gear straight up gets my opening at 39 deg. but my closing is like 115 deg. My other cam says open at 29 closes at 49, I get the 29 but closing is like 115. Question,If opening # is ok why wouldnt closing be right on? I am using the Isky procedure ,with the .020 lift and .020 drop on the readings. Any suggestions are appreciated. Eddie

Does the card indicate that the valve timing should be checked at .020" or .015 or maybe .050" lift. Have you compared your readings to the centerline method? .050 before and after max lift. Can also use the dwell method, rotate and record the begining and end of MAX lift, the center of these two points is Center Line. Also besure you are looking at the readings correctly as some wheels are read differently. Take a look at a 18" Moroso pro wheel They have 2 sets of numbers, one for checking duration and ICL, the other for checking opening and closing points so you don't have to do the math or counting game.
    Josh K.

eddieb1965 Guest

Yes,both cards specify where to check lift. Isky uses .020 and the Elgin .050. I just dont see if the opening# is right on, why the closing isnt right on or close. Im using the intake lifter,keeping my dial indicator as parallel as possible and am using a 9" wheel. Start on heel of cam. rotate clockwise till .020 lift (both cams are right on at this step) continue to rotate till max lift then watch fo .020 fall, Then both cams arent even close. Am I doing something wrong on the second step? Ive watched a couple of you tube videos (looks like I am doing it right). Soom as I get this thing degreed I can button up the bottom end ,and finish engine,but I am still scratching my head. Eddie

On the closing side are you stopping at .020 fall from max lift or .020 before you get to the base circle again. You where checking the Elgin @ .050 then I take it?
    Josh K.

eddieb1965 Guest

I'm checking .020 fall from highest lift,is that right? Yes the elgin uses the .050 and the Isky .020.

on the back side of lobe sposed to be 20 from closeing,..not 20 past max lift...

eddieb1965 Guest

Thanks,That may be what I am doing,I'll give that a try and see if the closing # comes in closer. Eddie

As Tom said, both readings should be taken at .020 off the base circle. Take open reading .020 off the base circle, go past max lift then clear down to .020 before the base circle again for your closed reading. The # of degrees between these two points would be your duration @.020. If the readings are taken at .050 you could check the duration @.050 and compare to your card (some cams are off a few degrees) ALWAYS take readings while going in the proper direction of rotation, CLOCKWISE, this takes out any possible errors from the timing chain being alittle loose. You should be good to go now, I would also check using the ICL method just for shiz and giggles.
    Josh K.