Default Coil over spring length? and deck height?

Does the length of the coil spring make a noticable difference, if it does not bind? If so does a certain corner or the 5th arm make a bigger difference?

Example- In your setup sheet from builder a 12" 250lb spring is called for. You have a 14" 250 lb spring you just have to turn the adjuster up to make it work. The shock fit perfect the only difference is the adjuster on the shock had to be moved.

Also does the lower deck level around the driver in the newer late models give them more down force?
    I hate if this is stupid just wondering.
    Last edited by street28; 11-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Spring height means nothing as long as you are not running out of travel with either one.

Ironic you just responded cause last night I was laying in bed thinking about spring compression "boy am I getting old". But say a right right side spring as the car rolls on the spring and it compresses more and more even though it is not progressive couldnt the rate increse as the space between the coils closes up. We have a 10" on the right front and where thinking about going to 12". Sorry am new to some of this and dont understand everything completely.

Quote Originally Posted by street28 View Post
    Ironic you just responded cause last night I was laying in bed thinking about spring compression "boy am I getting old". But say a right right side spring as the car rolls on the spring and it compresses more and more even though it is not progressive couldnt the rate increse as the space between the coils closes up. We have a 10" on the right front and where thinking about going to 12". Sorry am new to some of this and dont understand everything completely.
    As a spring compresses, the coils on the very end compress a little more than the coils in the middle and if they bind the overall "rate" will increase. Granted this doesn't happen until very near complete coil bind but it does happen.
    Not sure what kind of car you're running but most folks run at least a 12" spring on the RF. 10" is typically only found on the LF. 12" is also common on RR and LR is a whole different ball game.
    You can inspect your springs for coil binding. Just look to see if the paint between the coils looks discolored or cracked. This usually means the coils are touching there.
    I like to duct tape a sunflower seed to the spring between the coils If it's binding, that sunflower seed will tell you.

I have a stinger - GRT copy. The grt setup sheets and the sheets I got with the car say 10" on RF,LF, and 5th coil 14" on LR 12"RR.
    I was thinking a 12" on the RF would be better idea to limit possible coil bind. The car holds a fairly level attitude and was going to change to a 12" on the RF and just wanted to ask before I did. I was going to buy a few new springs and dont want to buy a bunch of stuff I dont need.

For many years GRT along with others were 10" fronts and 12" rears. There are some year GRT's that you can not get a 12 inch spring on the RF and get the car to scale.
    FYI Some setups are relying on the RF spring to be coil bound.

I was told by somebody thats a lot smarter than me that a shorter spring reacts faster.I would guess a long spring could bow in the middle.I don't know if there would be a measurable amount on the track but I run 10'' springs now.