Default How to Tech for Titanium Valves?

Was told without disassembling the head to weight the valve there is no way to tell whether a valve is steel or titanium tonight at my rules meeting. Is this true?

A magnet will not stick to titanium. I just move the rocker to the side and take a pen magnet and see if it sticks.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

A magnet doesn't stick to most stainless steels either, Most Ti valves also have a hardend steel insert on top where the rocker rides..... One give away is that most Ti valves have flat faces, NO dish or tulip on the face (chamber side) All steel valves have a dish, to save weight.
    Last edited by fast_crew; 12-01-2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Josh K.

Quote Originally Posted by fast_crew View Post
    All steel valves have a dish, to save weight.
    not true..

Well I have yet to see a single steel valve that didn't have a dish in the face.

My apologies I did find them in Manleys online catalog, not alot of options but a few available. Learn something new every day.
    Last edited by fast_crew; 12-02-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Josh K.

They only makes valves out of two types of material. Titanium or stainless. Even stock valves are made of stainless. Much like crankshafts are all steel. Some are forged and others cast. Some cranks now days are made of a blend of steel with alloys. But that is an entire different convrsation.

I'm sorry but they make stainless valves flat on the face as well. Classes that mandate a valve size but not compression limits use these to increase compression. the only problem is....they do not flow very well. I have a handful of used ones at the shop if you would like to see one. I think they are all Manley valves.

The only way to check for titanium valves is to pull a head off and disassemble the head.

Most all the titanium stuff we run either has Hardened Tips that you can see or we run Lash caps..which we don't run with stainless...just my thoughts

Can a motor builder elaborate on this? I would love for a track to be able to tech for ti valves without having to pull a head off. are they a diff color or any other clear identifiers

they are EASY to tech. pull a rocker off and use an angle grinder on the valve tip to see what kind of spark it creates..titanium has a white spark.

Nobody in their rite mind is going to let a tech guy grind on top of the valves.

Quote Originally Posted by connor View Post
    Nobody in their rite mind is going to let a tech guy grind on top of the valves.
    i dont think it would be an issue as long as you make sure its a 7 inch grinder with a coarse disc on high speed....just make sure its nice and flat when your done!!!

Yea, I think he would be buying a couple valves at the least! He may also be calling 911 to have my foot surgically removed.