Thread: stiff RR spring

Default stiff RR spring

i kno alot of chassis builders are laying the rr spring in to gain sidebite.....has anyone ever just stiffened it way up like say 300 or so......i kno it sounds like alot but thought maybe it might be a decent option

Until this year I have always used a stiff RR spring in my car in order to loosen the car on tacky tracks. Tacky the track the stiffer the spring. This along with flat or lesser angled pan hard bar, and a torque link that is some where close to center of mounts worked great. My new car is a little different than years past and didn't respond well to these changes. That being said stiffening the RR spring will give you more weight at that wheel which should help turn the car.

More angle with a softer spring will allow chassis to roll more, compress soft RR spring more, gain angle in pan hard bar, move rear end to the left, stand the spring up, putting more weight on that corner.

Maybe its a combination of the angle and soft spring that allows more sidebite intially, then all of the other stuff that I listed happens by the time you're in the middle of the corner and rear steer is in effect, allowing you to hammer down.

I think you will find that the two options work differently so just stiffening the RR spring will not be the same.

Of course I could be WAY off, but I am interested in this also.

It depends on how you enter the corner, whether on the gas or off. If your entering under power and throwing the car, then a stiffer spring will help the car turn in. If you are on a slick track and coming in, "off the gas" and letting it roll, then a stiffer spring will help plant the RR harder and tighten the car.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells