Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford or toyota

Default Ford or toyota

Looking to buy or build which is the best to go with thanks

i started out with a toyota and switched to ford after 5 yrs. both can be vrey fast with the right set-ups. but just from my experience toyota parts are more expensive and harder to get.

Default toyota

3t .don't go over.326 dome 3.504 bore 8500 r's bad off turns

What are the Rules? What is your budget? Get wild & crazy!! Buy a 97mm bore, aluminum
    Cosworth Ford block from Burton Performance in the UK! Top it off with a 4-valve Ford Cosworth head. Guaranteed well over 300HP, normally-aspirated, and she'll twist 10,000+ all day/night long! -Dave-

I would go with the ford as well. More parts eisier to work on.
    Dave have you seen the new style 2.3 ranger engines? They are aluminum. Just bought a 06 would be interesting to see what could be put together with one of these.

Nope...... haven't had the opportunity to lay my eyes on the aluminum 2.3. If it would take a decent sized over-bore, could be an interesting piece. And sure would remove a considerable amount of weight off the front end of the race car! Is the head aluminum on that particular version of the 2.3/2.5? -Dave-

The 2.3 aluminum Ranger engine is the dohc Duratec motor, different animal completely from the old Lima engines.

Ah...... yes, it comes to me now. Depending on the Rules, current cost from a junk yard, and race parts availability, the Duratec could be very worthy of investigation as a race engine. I believe there are a couple of engine builders back east who prep those engines for some Class of Midget racing. -Dave-

yes Dave,i beleive there is an outfit in New York that builds these engines for the Ford Focus Midget Series...last i heard they were right at 380HP
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Yep....... looked @ some real dyno numbers. How about 393 HP on alky & injectors. Feed that engine with 110-octane race gas @ 13.5:1, dual side-draft Webers, and you'd be looking at about 347 HP, if my Engine Sim is even close to correct. Or a 390 HP Holley 4-bbl for 326 HP. Put that darlin' in a 2100# tube-chassis Pro-4 on a 1/4 or 3/8-mile paved short-track, with 10" wide Hoosier F-35's, & there isn't a V-8 Super Late Model in the country that'd keep up with it. Hmmmmmmm...... maybe it's time I re-open the ole tool boxes & get back to work! -Dave-

The return of Dr. Evil?

Dave,if you remember the name of that company or have a website address can you let me know please?
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

62..... I don't remember the name of the company, but if memory serves, there was a good article about the builder in Circle Track maybe 2-3 years ago. After some quick/thorough investigation at that point, I dropped interest because I figured there wasn't a chance in Hades that the touring Pro-4 group we raced with would permit me to slide one of those darlin's between the tube rails of Eddie Secord's #84 Pro-4. And I haven't 'chased' the engine further since then. -Dave-

which one ???????????????????

I now run a Ford, I have never ran a Toyota, (had GM FWD cars before) but from what I have read in this thread alone it all comes down to what you have available to you. Do you have all the resources to do anything that may be needed? Or do you have a target budget in mind? You want easy to work on and less expensive? Go Ford. Either one can be just as fast as the other from what I have read here. It's not as easy as just saying Ford or Toyota.

my budget is around 6-8000 i though one maybe better than the other from what i've been told the ford has more power and the toyota handle better threw the corner.

Because usually the toyotas are lighter. I would run a 2000 Ford. The parts aren't as easy to find as the 2300's but you'll be 300 pounds lighter if it's # / cc.

Thumbs up

what are the rules for your class/track ??

I like yota's... lighter, corner well(more corner speed), easy to work on suspensions, and when built right can keep up on the straights. But you will spend more getting near same power level as the fords. 87mm 3T or 90mm 20R or big boy 94mm 22R. Will need lots of head work to let them breathe.
    Outlaw #8
    22R Celica GT
    www.outlawcar.com

http://www.circleperformance.com/global23.htm

Circle performance in Brockton MA builds these darlings, uses stock head and block.

Rules always dictate which has the advantage. CC to weight with no min weight goes to the 3TC. Vacuum rules go to the 22R. Shear HP goes to the Ford, especially if there is no CC limit. But rules will tell you what is best. Good luck,

Joe