Default ford 2.3 oil pumps

i was reading the other post about oil pumps but couldn't post on it for some reason. i have 3 engines with 3 different pumps. all are over 5 years old. a m86c, m86hvc, and a m86e. they all run about the same pressure at speed and at idle. no problems with any of them. working at ford i decided to see what ford ran. i had my parts guy look up an 88 turbocoupe and an 88 2.3 mustang. they both use the same pump. d9zz-6600-a. it was used on all fox body 2.3s from 79 to at least 88. the 2.3 pinto, mustang2 used a d5fz-6600-a pump but it was superceded to the d9zz pump after 1980 if replaced. why? who knows, it may have been better, cheaper, or a change to a different manufacturer. is a d4 block better or worse then a later block. ford doesn't change a part unless there is a problem or it is cheaper to build or it changes it's requirements. it does seem that the name turbo pump is misleading. the turbo pump is no different then any other 2.3 fox body pump used by ford from 1979. also ford discontinued those pumps but there might be one setting on a parts shelf at a ford dealer someplace. you could have your local ford parts guy check and see.

olin

Thank you Olin for the excellent research!

Olin,
    Since we're on the subject of pumps...

what's the difference between the M86 and the M127.

They both came in 2.3s. I ended up using the M127 when I built my first 2.3 engine and didn't know the M86 series existed, until looking up 2.3 stuff later on....

Thanks for sharing your Ford knowledge