Thread: E-85?

Default E-85?

Just getting stuff around for the year and just wanted some thoughts on fuel... Is it a noticable difference by running E-85? What does everyone recommend to run to gain the biggest edge possible...

about 50 ft lbs of torque.

so if you switch over to e85 you gain 50lbs of torque? wow. plus the cost of e85 is so much lower you would be way ahead by running e85. as long as you can get it in your area. what all do you have to change to convert over to e85? just the carb? or do you need to bigger fuel lines too for the increase in fuel volume needed?

Default e85

if u go to e85 u have to test it i here its more like e70

we run 5/8"s fuel line and a methenol fuel pump as it will eat up a standard gas pump.

Is this the regular alky the supers used to run ?

If you Google "E85" and "Crate Motor" you'll find lots of stories about people eating motors on E85.

I can't say one way or another about the validity of those stories, but you might want to do some checking around before you get to crazy with your fuel.

We have ran it in our crate motor for two years now, and haven't had any problems. We do keep it checked to make sure it is E-85 though. We ran into a problem where it was more like E-90 when we got it out of the pump. So we got a checker and checked it and made sure it was right before we ran it.

Thumbs up

We use E85 in our late model and switched from alcohol to E85 by buying a specific carb. You do need to test the amount of ethanol and adjust the engine tune with jets ranging from 85-95. I have found that some gas stations use different blends of gas (with lower octane rating than racing fuel 110) with the ethanol and some of them caused our engine to overheat especially on heavy tracks. You can add 5 gals of 110 racing fuel to 20 gallons of E85 and that mixture seemed to keep the car at 200*

Also if a local fuel supplier can get you a 55 gallon drum of E98 racing fuel, you can take out 8.75 gallons, and then add 8.75 gallons of 110 octane race fuel and you come up with a "Race E85" mixture. (this info was found on a drag racing forum)

thanks for the info...sounds as if E-85 does in deed help then....any one recommend who to get a carb from? and any other tips to run e-85
    Thanks

Stealth.......

marksullense85carburetors.com
    kbcarburetors.com

Mark has a forum page on his site with lots of info or to ask questions.
    U can step on the brake
    U can step on the gas
    But step on ur crank
    UR gonna get passed!

5 of us got them from JDR, and they ran great and didn't break the bank

X2, works great. Call JDR!
    Last edited by 50j; 12-28-2010 at 10:16 AM.

10 rows deep on the corn just outside turn 2

X 3! JDR best carb for the money hands down!!!!!!

i've gotten one from jdr and just orderd the 2nd one

50 lbs more torque wow i would like to see that engine. with out any hassel with fuel testing and that mess i would run chp or ratman. jdr carbs are good but not the best on the market you really cant beat a stealth. if you run pump gas you better make sure its ethonal free or you will be visiting your engine builder for a new rebuild
    Last edited by ptodd; 01-16-2011 at 07:18 PM.

How can e-85 be ethenol free when its 85% ethenol? I had a gas stealth carb and got a e-85 carb from JDR, car was a TON better!

i had a brain fart with the ethonal deal.what i ment was if you engine is tuned for pump gas and your gas has 15% ethonal in it you gonna have problems. but im sure your e85 carb was better that your gas one ur not comparing apples to apples 90% of the carbs are all good just some better that others the good thing about a stealth is tony works hard on the response of the carb on restarts up off the corner it not all about the most power. but to get in that disscusion i have a superflow dyno and have tested just about every carb and and through the curve u just cant beat a stealth but everyone has there own opinion not saying anything bad about anyone or anything but i just say what i see.

Just curious, you ordered a new carb from JDR so that you could make this determination? I know that you've said in the past that you're a dealer for Stealth, and would be using a new carb. If it's an "apples to apples" test I'm assuming that it was a new JDR carb as well?
    Last edited by 50j; 01-18-2011 at 04:37 PM.