Default 525 crate engine

Looking at running a mod with the 525 since it has a wt. break and a 8in spoiler(USMTS rules). I know this is a late model section but was looking for some answer that crate late models might can answer.

How much does the 525 weigh vs the steel engine sbc?
    What all do you have to purchase besides the engine, carb etc?
    We run a rear mounted tandem pump, just looking at what extra would have to be purchased. Thanks

I've not run one but would like to try one. This is what I've found from my research and talking to some other folks.
    Not sure on the weight.
    You'll need a carb. And you'll need a fuel pump.
    You'll need the iginition box for it which is GM part number 19171130.
    It comes with a water pump and exhaust manifolds but I'm sure you'll want headers.
    You'll need a front dress-up kit depending on what you are running off the front pulleys. KRC has about anything to suit your needs: http://www.krcpower.com/ct525.html
    It comes with an OE flywheel but that won't work for most racing stuff. The 525 is internally balanced so just match the flywheel to your bellhousing (Bert, Brinn, QM, etc.) and if you're running your oil pump off it get the HTD drive type. You know the drill.
    That's about all I can think of right now.
    Last edited by Matt49; 12-24-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks for the information. If you already have the stuff on a open mod motor sbc will it transfer to the crate or do you have to purchase new stuff? Thanks again.

no it wont. you need a breather system you have to run the krc front drive a good carb the headers are metric the ignition box from gm as well. bert makes a drive for it the fuel pump has to be a belt or tandem pump. we have a program that we put in the ignition box that gives the engine 60hp its 250 if you buy one of our carbs or 400 if you get your own carb

Thanks for the information.

How much HP does the 525 put out?

525 roughly

advertised 525 number is with pump gas---NO carburetor spacer ---box stock carb--------and Exhaust Manifolds Not headers

I think GM should have named it something different

525 can easily be substantially better
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 02-24-2011 at 08:09 AM.

525 with spacer, nice carb, proper headers, tuned up ingition, estimated cost? Does it make sense for somebody to chose the 525 over say a steel block @ 700+hp? Random thought? What is the typical weight break? Which option do you think could be more consistently competitive against open LM class?

Depends on the track.

Default ct525

I have been told 638 hp ?????