Promoters note from 1970 to driver

Default Promoters note from 1970 to driver

Just found an envelope with some photos and newspaper clippings. One small envelope contained a letter from the 1970 track manager of Farmer City, Jr Smith addressed to my Dad.

July 28, 1970
    Dear Red,
    Just a note to tell you we've got seven more nights of racing this season. You have been one of the most faithful, we want to say thank you for helping us make the track one of the best for cars and attendance.
    See you Friday night.
    Sincerely,
    Jr. Smith
    Track Manager
    PS Where's that Mustang!

Just thought a few of you would be interested to know that even in 1970, like most tracks today, the track manager appeared to be concern with car counts and attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Feger25Fan View Post
    Just found an envelope with some photos and newspaper clippings. One small envelope contained a letter from the 1970 track manager of Farmer City, Jr Smith addressed to my Dad.

July 28, 1970
    Dear Red,
    Just a note to tell you we've got seven more nights of racing this season. You have been one of the most faithful, we want to say thank you for helping us make the track one of the best for cars and attendance.
    See you Friday night.
    Sincerely,
    Jr. Smith
    Track Manager
    PS Where's that Mustang!

Just thought a few of you would be interested to know that even in 1970, like most tracks today, the track manager appeared to be concern with car counts and attendance.
    Yep, but the biggest difference is, you dont see promoters today actually sending out personal letters & PROMOTING.... just saying.

Agreed, lots of promoters don't promote.
    But there are several that do email and call drivers about races at their tracks.

At home, since I cannot afford to go to the track anymore, but it's a nice home filled with love!

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing Tracy, how well I remember Red as Baby Huey, and I still remember talking with Jr. Smith on Friday afternoons....
    Racenut
    www.midwestdirttrackfacts.com ....the final season
    Hoosier Tire Midwest
    Ringers Gloves,
    Macon Speedway, ProStarDesigns.com
    for the future.... https://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/pa..._type=bookmark

Back in the late 70's Rensselaer Speedway promoter Ted Knorr saw Dave McCarty one night at Crown Point and asked why he didn't bring his sportsman car to Rensselaer. Dave told him he didn't have the right gear.
    The next week McCarty got a card from Knorr. Inside it simply said "Is it gear, or is it fear?" That's all it took. Dave got a gear and went to Rensselaer won his heat and the feature. Knorr looked him up after the races. When McCarty saw him he just said it was gear. I don't remember him ever going back though.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Quote Originally Posted by Feger25Fan View Post

July 28, 1970
    Dear Red,
    See you Friday night.
    Sincerely,
    Jr. Smith
    Track Manager
    PS Where's that Mustang!

The difference I see from back then to today is; that manager was promoting, where today the "so-called" promoters only manage. True promotion and showmanship seem to be a lost art in most areas. JMO
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells