Thread: gm 604 years???

Default gm 604 years???

just curious if you could find a gm truck or car that might have came with the same p/n's as the gm 604 like for the block,heads,intake??? or is that just gm performance parts??? i would like to find a good block to take and have a engine built and sealed for fastrak???

GM 880 Blocks have been found in GMC 2500 Suburbans and G30 Vans. Most of them would not have a fuel pump boss on the side and the ones that do, do not have the fuel pump rod hole. I have not found one yet with 4 bolt mains, although I have converted a couple of them with the right GM caps but it requires align bore and hone and then you have to be really careful with the timing chain as there is no way to take up the slack with the Legal GM stock chain and gears. Also most of the blocks do not have provisions for roller lifters.

BHJ has a fixture for getting the fuel pump rod right if you do find a block.

None of the other parts on the engine like heads, intake etc. were ever used on an engine built for street use. I have located some econo internal parts for cloning an engine but they would not be legal for use in most of the rules packages as the casting and PN's are not listed in the GM engine builders manual.

All in all it is easier to buy a block from GM for about a $1000.

You can't build a legal GM 604 scrounging up parts cheaper than buying a good used engine or better yet a brand new one. The new one will have new valves ($750 ), New crank ( $900 ), newstyle heads ($1400 )+10HP, New rods, pistons and rings ( $1000 ), new cam,lifters,springs, rockers and pushrods ($1000 )plus all the other little parts like bolts and hardware that will easily cost you another $500. Once you get all that together you still have to pay for machine work and assembly, plus the cost of getting it inspected and bolted with your sanctioning bodys' bolts...

When you total it all up the sum of the parts are greater in cost than the complete engine.

Call Chris@City Chevrolet and he will hook you up...1-800-763-2489
    Last edited by dynoman14; 02-15-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Left out something