Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cost of running open wheel modified?

Ran Legend cars on asphalt for a little bit and dirt karts a few years before that. Got out of racing due to college and now looking to get back into it again after a few months of selling the legend car (this bug just won't go away..)

Looking into running a dirt modified, but would like to get a feel for the cost. Could anyone give some rough figures for stuff like tires, fuel, weekly maintenance, ect.?

Will be racing in Florida if that helps (Ocala, Volusia)

Thanks

It will all depend on how you want to do it. A good used car can be picked up off here or racingjunk for anywhere between $5,000-$7,000 as a roller. You can find them cheaper for sure, but I am of the school of thought that you will waste your time if you try to learn how to drive one of these cars in sub-par equipment.

A motor will again be based upon how much you want to spend. I would say you should probably budget another $6,000-$7,000 dollars for a solid used motor. As mentioned, you could go cheaper or more expensive depending on the rules. Around here we run pretty much open rules, so there are some motors that have 10,000+ in them.

We run American Racer KK-704 tires; they run roughly $100 apiece. I get pretty good longevity out of mine...you can grind them a few nights then rotate the rears to the front and buy 2 new rears. We have super slick tracks around here, so you can burn them up super fast if not careful. Fuel will be roughly $300 for a 55 gallon drum of racing fuel, and roughly $150 for alcohol. You can probably find both cheaper; those are just good figures. You can figure on burning 15 gallons of alky in one night, giving you close to one month of usage from a drum. Gas will burn roughly twice as slow...it almost equals out.

Maintenance is more of a time cost than a money cost IMO. I spend quite a bit if time (close to 15 hours per week) working on my car...and I am located over an hour away from mine. If I lived closer I could easily spend more time. Preventative maintenance is a big thing (i.e greasing, lubing, checking for wear, etc). You can save yourself quite a bit of time and money by keeping an active checklist and being proactive.

It is a lot of information, but hopefully gives you some figures to play around with. If you are looking for a car I have a few different chassis I could part with...PM me if you want more information!

Ryan
    www.humphreyracing.com
    Last edited by ryan15x; 12-30-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Oops...spelling

Depends on if your planning on running IMCA or open. IMCA is designed to help keep costs under control, Tires will last a lot longer and motors are cheaper.

To run a competitive UMP modified, you are going to spend 400 to 500 a race night depending on how far you travel and how many tires you need. Some people think they can spend less until they do it. motor freshen, oil & filter 175 to 200 a night. Tire 60 a night if you only use 1 new every two nights,Most people will use more depending on how abrasive their tracks are. Race fuel 10 gal 60 to 85 dollars. Truck fuel 35 night locally.Pit passes 2 people 50 to 60 a night.That isnt counting wear and tear, repair, tear offs, trailer supplies ( Rear end lube, oil, brake fluid,WD 40, Hand Cleaner, Rags, Windex)and a bunch other things that you will need.

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackrocker View Post
    Depends on if your planning on running IMCA or open. IMCA is designed to help keep costs under control, Tires will last a lot longer and motors are cheaper.
    Fast cars in Iowa have 12-14k motors in IMCA. They are all building 454s now for the chip rule...

They all buy 2-4 new tires a night. There are many that run 4 stickers a night.

A new chassis roller is 16k buy used and youll get used quality tech support most likely.

Most of the front runners who race 2-3 nights a week went thru 2-4 chassis last year, when you get turned into the wall they are junk they are all flexed up on the bars and cant run into much and be used successfully still.

I wouldnt buy used theres a reason the front runners get new cars EVERY year.

I know a guy that bought a car that won 26 features in one season for 30k turnkey and it handled great the first day was crashed lightly that day and NEVER handled again. Its been on the builders jig and set up by the builder but NEVER worked the same as the first night out when they bought it. Hes looking at going back to street stock now.

My best cars have been tweeked race cars. They never handled till the first "big one"

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Fast cars in Iowa have 12-14k motors in IMCA. They are all building 454s now for the chip rule...

They all buy 2-4 new tires a night. There are many that run 4 stickers a night.

A new chassis roller is 16k buy used and youll get used quality tech support most likely.

Most of the front runners who race 2-3 nights a week went thru 2-4 chassis last year, when you get turned into the wall they are junk they are all flexed up on the bars and cant run into much and be used successfully still.

I wouldnt buy used theres a reason the front runners get new cars EVERY year.

I know a guy that bought a car that won 26 features in one season for 30k turnkey and it handled great the first day was crashed lightly that day and NEVER handled again. Its been on the builders jig and set up by the builder but NEVER worked the same as the first night out when they bought it. Hes looking at going back to street stock now.
    Not sure where you came up with these figures,but WOW. We have raced Mods for a few years now ,mainly open motor stuff. This year we switched one car to IMCA and raced 8 nights,won 2 features,finished top 5, 6 times and 2dnf's. New tire on RR every 4 nights and with a car that was 4 years old.Oh , and the engine ?? $ 3500.00

I currently have our UMP / Open show car for sale complete with a fresh engine and over 3k in spare parts for sale for $ 13,500.00. Car is a 2008 with 30 total nights with 11 feature wins and 21 heat wins.
    www.coxracing.zoomshare.com

Quote Originally Posted by circle dirt View Post
    Not sure where you came up with these figures,but WOW. We have raced Mods for a few years now ,mainly open motor stuff. This year we switched one car to IMCA and raced 8 nights,won 2 features,finished top 5, 6 times and 2dnf's. New tire on RR every 4 nights and with a car that was 4 years old.Oh , and the engine ?? $ 3500.00

I currently have our UMP / Open show car for sale complete with a fresh engine and over 3k in spare parts for sale for $ 13,500.00. Car is a 2008 with 30 total nights with 11 feature wins and 21 heat wins.
    www.coxracing.zoomshare.com
    Common knowledge is where I got my numbers. Were you at any special events in my area? Love to hear you made the A main at the cornhusker classic, tiny lund, beatrice spring nationals or any other event around me with a 4 night old rr tire much less a 3500 dollar engine. It might give hope to others in the mod class.

Now if your excited about running what you got at a weekly track I could see that as the car count at most averages 12.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 01-02-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Default cost for a mod

after 20 plus years around mods using different sanctions this is what i've learned :first to get into a mod no experience driving one before or dirt latemodel exp either to win right away on a consistant basis is just plain foolish not going to happen unless you get a top notch tuner setup guy to help you and rent a track a bunch for practice.as far as cost 2 trains of thought here first is spend the money and buy a new car and buy the big dollar motor and try to win with a big budget or the other way is (which I've seen works better 95% of the time)instead of trying to win with hp concentrate on the setup.Where i race in the north imca rules are at most tracks but we go to non sanctioned shows that use open motor rules and yes there are guys who run the big cid and hp motors and yes they do run up front but dont always win either bad fast or spin the tires and are at the point of being out of control ,getting in or causing wrecks.the guys who worry less about motors and more on setup have a tendency to do just as well and seem to crash less and do alot better on a wide variety of track conditions.motor guys like tacky smooth tracks but are the 1st to complain in the slick or rough.ive been to all kind of tracks in the midwest and the same is true no matter where you go.not that money wont win you races but it isnt always about the money. i ask all readers of this post no matter where you race what does it take to win on any given night?A well prepared car a driver who can drive that car properly for that setup and track condition and hopefully your car and setup and driver is the best on that given night.If someone setup is better tthat night then yours and neither driver makes a mistake then i guess you'll finish 2nd unless you get some kind of luck to help you.To prove my point in 2006 we took a iron headed 355 and ran a usmts show and got a top ten finish after getting a flat with ten to go and had to start at the rear and that motor had over 30 shows on it and the cost of the motor was under 8500 versus what they spend.Its all about setup chips are there to keep costs down rofl lets just give them traction control ever watch imce bmods with crate motors??at our track they run 4/10 faster lap times on average and it sure sounds funny when they hit the chip half way down the straights they have to brake less and are on the gas soonerso what does that spell.i got about 12500 in my car and i bought alot of stuff used but my motor was new(I do my own and alot of engine builders would charge 13k for it over 600 hp)the real question is how much do you have and want to spend ?

Common knowledge is where I got my numbers. Were you at any special events in my area? Love to hear you made the A main at the cornhusker classic, tiny lund, beatrice spring nationals or any other event around me with a 4 night old rr tire much less a 3500 dollar engine. It might give hope to others in the mod class.

Now if your excited about running what you got at a weekly track I could see that as the car count at most averages 12.
    How do you know what the car count is at his weekly track?? The figures your spewing may be correct where you live, or if you plan on travelling the major events, but, not everyone does that.
    I live in the northeast and there are WAY more guys running on his type of budget than yours, and yes a few of them even travelled out to Boone and did O.K.
    The question was "Cost of running an open wheel mod" The figures you stated are extreme to say the least, yeah, there are guys who spend that much , but, you don't have to, it can be done for a lot less and still be competetive on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackrocker View Post
    How do you know what the car count is at his weekly track?? The figures your spewing may be correct where you live, or if you plan on travelling the major events, but, not everyone does that.
    I live in the northeast and there are WAY more guys running on his type of budget than yours, and yes a few of them even travelled out to Boone and did O.K.
    The question was "Cost of running an open wheel mod" The figures you stated are extreme to say the least, yeah, there are guys who spend that much , but, you don't have to, it can be done for a lot less and still be competetive on a weekly basis.
    The AVERAGE IMCA mod car count at ALL IMCA tracks was around 12 last year. I got that from IMCA.

The figures I stated arent extreme, they are what it would cost to run up front regularly IF you can drive and do set up. Sure I know guys with less and they make the A some of the time and not some of the time.

The guy that just did the leather in my dually bought one of Jets personal cars for 30k last year or year before, thats a factual number and jet won 26 features in the car.

USMTS five years ago vs today is like comparing a scooter and harley. 5 years ago only a handfull ran the series and the field was filled with locals with IMCA type cars. With only 5-7 USMTS regulars a top ten was easy for at least 3-5 guys, thats not the case today.

check and see if they have a crate latemodel class its the best bang for the buck in my opinion, other wise we spend about 175.00 per night on average thats 1 new tire fuel and little stuff, we have about 15000.00 in the car and we race for 400.00 bucks

Here's an opinion to piss somebody off. Buying things new is new is stupid. Very stupid. There are so many good usable parts out there from stupid guys that over spend and I take full advantage of em. Of course there are things you should buy new. But almost every thing can be bought used and as long as you pay attention to what your getting it will be to your advantage.
    My lastest accusition is a Falcon transmission. I bought it for $100 cause it jumped outa gear and made someone mad. I sent it too Falcon where they charged me $300 to make like new. THe problem was a simple thing that the original owner wasn't doing properly. With shipping included, it cost me $500 for a like new transmission. I bought my Bert Bell broken for $100 because the guy had to have one like right now and he had more money then sense. I paid a local guy $50 to weld it back together. I bought my QM starter on Ebay for $100. I sent it to QM to have it checked out. It needed no parts. Doing this way takes a little more time and but I have less than 1/3 price for my drive line set up and it's all been deemed good to go by the very manufacturer that design these things.

There is always some dumbass that has no idea what they are doing overspending to get ahead. I love these guys cause they make it possible for me to race.

The AVERAGE IMCA mod car count at ALL IMCA tracks was around 12 last year. I got that from IMCA.

The figures I stated arent extreme, they are what it would cost to run up front regularly IF you can drive and do set up. Sure I know guys with less and they make the A some of the time and not some of the time.

The guy that just did the leather in my dually bought one of Jets personal cars for 30k last year or year before, thats a factual number and jet won 26 features in the car.

USMTS five years ago vs today is like comparing a scooter and harley. 5 years ago only a handfull ran the series and the field was filled with locals with IMCA type cars. With only 5-7 USMTS regulars a top ten was easy for at least 3-5 guys, thats not the case today.
    ok, you have a opinion. Everyone is entitled to that. I race in eastern Iowa. 32 years now to be exact. Weekly car counts at our tracks was 18 - 22 every night.At our local track ,any of the top 15 could win the feature.Its that close. Check my website and read my profile. Not big headed , just saying I'm not blind either. I know what it takes to campaign a top running car and you don't need to spend 30k to do it. www.coxracing.zoomshare.com

ok, you have a opinion. Everyone is entitled to that. I race in eastern Iowa. 32 years now to be exact. Weekly car counts at our tracks was 18 - 22 every night.At our local track ,any of the top 15 could win the feature.Its that close. Check my website and read my profile. Not big headed , just saying I'm not blind either. I know what it takes to campaign a top running car and you don't need to spend 30k to do it. www.coxracing.zoomshare.com
    I dont care what your weekly track averages, IMCA just stated in this months paper they lowered the points you can earn for National pts bonus because car counts are down.

Cox, I looked at your site. It hasnt been updated since MAY... In May you won in your pro car and got 6th in your imca car, congrats to you!!

Are you going to the Ice Bowl next week in Alabama? Ill be there Thursday feel free to come say hi! Green street stock 66.

I didnt say it took 30k to campaign a top running car. I said the guy that did the interior install on my truck last week bought a top running car for 30k race ready USED........ To campaign it is a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Here's an opinion to piss somebody off. Buying things new is new is stupid. Very stupid. There are so many good usable parts out there from stupid guys that over spend and I take full advantage of em. Of course there are things you should buy new. But almost every thing can be bought used and as long as you pay attention to what your getting it will be to your advantage.
    My lastest accusition is a Falcon transmission. I bought it for $100 cause it jumped outa gear and made someone mad. I sent it too Falcon where they charged me $300 to make like new. THe problem was a simple thing that the original owner wasn't doing properly. With shipping included, it cost me $500 for a like new transmission. I bought my Bert Bell broken for $100 because the guy had to have one like right now and he had more money then sense. I paid a local guy $50 to weld it back together. I bought my QM starter on Ebay for $100. I sent it to QM to have it checked out. It needed no parts. Doing this way takes a little more time and but I have less than 1/3 price for my drive line set up and it's all been deemed good to go by the very manufacturer that design these things.

There is always some dumbass that has no idea what they are doing overspending to get ahead. I love these guys cause they make it possible for me to race.
    I sell lots of my parts used, there are some on ebay now no reserve enjoy... search 66jj. Ive got a huge list on here for sale also buy them up.

I would sell your falcon and get a bert or brinn.

Sorry !! I'll tell my 16 year old daughter that she is slacking on the website.No , I'm limited on my time off because of my job duties. Next race on our schedule will be the Ice Breaker in Brownstown Ind.Where do you run weekly? I didn't ask if you cared about our average car counts. Your the one who made the comment about no cars.

Sorry !! I'll tell my 16 year old daughter that she is slacking on the website.No , I'm limited on my time off because of my job duties. Next race on our schedule will be the Ice Breaker in Brownstown Ind.Where do you run weekly? I didn't ask if you cared about our average car counts. Your the one who made the comment about no cars.
    I didnt make any comment about no cars. If you want to spar then try and follow along. I get bored easily.

I dont race weekly.

You say you made no comment about no cars but in this statement you say we average around 12 at the most and you get your info from common knowledge but yet your just a part time racer. LOL No wonder you get bored. Bottom line is, race 3-4 nights a week for 30+ years and then you can honestly say what it cost to race. I'm done with this, I feel like I,m arguing with a kid.

You say you made no comment about no cars but in this statement you say we average around 12 at the most and you get your info from common knowledge but yet your just a part time racer. LOL No wonder you get bored. Bottom line is, race 3-4 nights a week for 30+ years and then you can honestly say what it cost to race. I'm done with this, I feel like I,m arguing with a kid.
    I would give up also if I was you as you clearly are unarmed in a battle of wits or common sense.

(look up the definition of AVERAGE and MOST) Then look at how they were used in my sentence you copy pasted. No where do I say a thing about any specific venue, much less yours, lol.

I raced only 30 nights in 2010 and 55 in 2009.

Im a part time rv'er, boat and fish guy, jeep rock crawler, race car builder, repair shop and lastly racer.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 01-02-2011 at 02:41 PM.