Default What do I need to know when buying a used 604 crate?

I am new to the crate motor stuff. What do I need to know when buying a used 604 crate motor? Is there anything or any builder that makes a difference? What if I just bought a new one straight out of the crate?

I would buy a new one... Make sure it is of newer stock. Dont get caught up in crazy HP talk. Buy a good crate carb with a standard spacer. The KRC front pulley kits are really nice. I run an alternator.

I agree with Jason29a. When you buy used, you run the risk of buying someone else's headache.

What about buying one that is fresh from a rebuild ? Are there any good deals available doing it that way ?

depends on who rebuilt it. and how long ago. there was some issues with engine builders and the way they were measuring deck height instead of fastrak throwing out most of the engine builders they let it slide by a certin seal number and back so you take the risk of buying a engine in that seal catogory that has a illegal deck height and when its rebuilt again you will have to buy a new block