Default question for egoracing

i run a 602 crate with the reverse mount with the toyota starter at the end of the season you would have to hit the starter button 10 to 15 before starter engaugge brought a new starter same thing put new push button still same thing could it be gears in bell houseing they look good charge battery up good check all battery cables they are good

Do you run a starter solenoid ?

Default starter

yes the 1 that came with the starter the whole thing is new after about 10 to 15 times after hitting the starter button it will enguage i can take the new 1 off and put the old 1 back on same thing

Sounds like bad / corroded contacts on your starter button to me. Repeating the button press cleans them off enough to make contact.

Jumper across the button terminals on back with a screwdriver or something and see if the starter kicks over. If so, bad button.

Default question

just put a new button on today i am being to think a got a hold of a bad starter the button did not change any thing still does same

I think you need to check the intermediate gear on the bellhousing. It may need greasing. There is a grease fitting on the bellhousing and that gear gets dirt in it and it wears the bushing out. Check it to see if it makes full contact with the flywheel, also some times you can rock the car in gear and the teeth may line up better for a full engagement.

could be a bad ground on the starter

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    could be a bad ground on the starter
    Agree! Check all of your wiring. Are you running a remote solenoid?

i know on a stock chevy starter if its actin like that an it got good ground an wiring,..then its probably the solenoid,.....take positive cable off stud,losein lock nut,turn it no more than 1/4 turn an tighten down lock nut,put cable back on an see how it dose....

Teeth on flywheel bent or missing. Idler gear dragging as mentioned earlier. Starter bendix not fully engaging the idler to the flywheel (Flywheel not properly shimmed) or throw not deep enough .Do search on Bert for more on subject.
    The Blacksheep cometh ! With old bent sh!t that just keeps getting faster !