Default Year of 604 Crate

How can you tell what year the crate was built. What year did the change the heads on the 604 crate? How many laps do you run before it is a good idea to change the valve springs? What are the best headers to put on the 604? I am just getting into the crate class and am looking at a used one but I would like to know what exactly am looking at. I ahve always built my own engines and always knew what I had. Thank you for your time.

You can tell the year of the engine by looking on the block... Just below the head, where the water pump bolts up. There will be a stamped number. You would want an 08 or newer.

Example... 0P04 = 2010
    9P04 = 2009
    8P04 = 2008

u should change you spring,locks,retainers every 8 races. the best header is the beyea . it tough to buy used engines you dont know what you are getting. stay away from any engine that has rm bolts we have had 2 brought in in the last couple weeks and have been cheated to the point of it requires a new engine. with newer heads you want a 08 or newer

How come some ppl say you change your springs every 300 laps and others are saying every 8 races?

depends how many laps you put on it in a night. the track around here in 8 nights you will have 250 laps on it thats not counting any extra lap races.