Default ford selinod on chevy?

ive sen on here lotta recommendations to run a ford selinod wired up to chevy starter,..an i know its a poplar trend,...my questions are why?? an how do i wire it up to work right?? fixin to wire up my first race car,..thanks for any help!!

If you use the stock setup you have to run a hot wire all the way down to the starter that stays hot all the time. If u get in a crash and bend the car up pretty good you have a very good possibility of shorting something out and buring down the car. Another thing is having the solenoid mounted somewhere in the engine compartment makes it easy to adjust the valves with a bump switch attached to the solenoid.

With the ford solenoid setup, you need to run a jumper wire on the chevy starter solenoid. It goes from the big post on the starter to the small post that is closet to the engine as thestarter would be bolted to the block. Jumping this will enable the starter to turn over when you add power to the ford solenoid. If you dont add the jumper wire then you will never start your car. You have to have the jumper wire or it wont work. Now to wire the ford solenoid into the system, you need to run a big wire down to the starter and attach it on the right side of the solenoid as you are looking at it. Then you hook up a postive 12V to the left side of the solenoid. Now you need to run a small wire to the small stud that is closets to the 12V power wire. This wire will come from your pushbutton switch in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit. I hope this gets you going.

Quote Originally Posted by raceman17 View Post
    If you use the stock setup you have to run a hot wire all the way down to the starter that stays hot all the time. If u get in a crash and bend the car up pretty good you have a very good possibility of shorting something out and buring down the car. Another thing is having the solenoid mounted somewhere in the engine compartment makes it easy to adjust the valves with a bump switch attached to the solenoid.

With the ford solenoid setup, you need to run a jumper wire on the chevy starter solenoid. It goes from the big post on the starter to the small post that is closet to the engine as thestarter would be bolted to the block. Jumping this will enable the starter to turn over when you add power to the ford solenoid. If you dont add the jumper wire then you will never start your car. You have to have the jumper wire or it wont work. Now to wire the ford solenoid into the system, you need to run a big wire down to the starter and attach it on the right side of the solenoid as you are looking at it. Then you hook up a postive 12V to the left side of the solenoid. Now you need to run a small wire to the small stud that is closets to the 12V power wire. This wire will come from your pushbutton switch in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit. I hope this gets you going.
    That covers it!! (like button)

Cole-Hersee makes a HD style solenoid that has a button built into it (eliminates the need for a starter button)

Pretty slick

thanks for the info,...so still gonna have a header cook the chevy solenoid every so often like always...lol

crossover headers won't burn up the starter, might want to look into them