Thread: welding seems

Default welding seems

I am building a metric based pro stock type of car. I understand that these chassis can tend to be a little weak, would welding the seems up be a good idea on this type of chassis? also is replacing the frame rails behind behind the rear end with 2x3 tubing a good idea?

Yes and Yes..

should i weld the entire seam? or lay down a 2" bead then move a couple inches and lay down another bead?

you can go either way and it's going to be stronger than stock.I would do a skep weld every 1 1/2''.

Stitch weld it.Welding it solid seems to make me tired

heck ya weld it solid and look at all of the weld seams im sure you will find a few spots that wasnt welded very well or not at all

Weld every seam. But skip around when you do it. Weld the lf a couple inches and then move to the er of the fram etc.

Sand blast it first then just weld it up! Dont skip weld it! Just do it! Fabing the back half is standard operating procedure. Good luck and have fun! Thats what its all about. If you want to be sneaky you could weld the upper control arm mount to alleviate any anti dive! That would make all the differance in the world!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graff Spee View Post
    Sand blast it first then just weld it up! Dont skip weld it! Just do it! Fabing the back half is standard operating procedure. Good luck and have fun! Thats what its all about. If you want to be sneaky you could weld the upper control arm mount to alleviate any anti dive! That would make all the differance in the world!!!
    please explain

Cut off the upper control arm mounts carefully. Trim them so that when you reweld them to the frame the front to rear angle is matched to to lower control arm. The factory builds alot of inti dive into cars to be able to run a soft spring for a nice ride that wont bottom out when you hit the brakes. T hat is the much abridged version. If you put the control arm mounts on the same mounting plane it gets rid of some major binding of the susp. It is the best thing you can do to any stock stub type of chassis! Best to read about it in chassis books if you can't fully understand my poor explanation.

which book would be best? thanks