Default dirt bozz???????Please HELP

Does anyone know what the med compound is on the durometer????? Thanks Josh

Cold low to mid 40's. Hot below 40.

You can call Hoosier and they will tell you...http://www.hoosiertire.com/otdtire.htm

However, when I bought mine last year (medium compound), I checked them before i even mounted them on wheels and they came out around 55 on the durometer. My local track's rule was at least 45 after the race without a cool down period. I always passed tech. I never checked what they were for myself after the race.

You will get completely different reading depending on how you use the durometer. If you do it right, you hold the bottom of the durometer at a slight angle on the high part of the tread not allowing the needle to touch yet. Then you quickly roll it down flat on the tread and read the measurement quickly. If you leave it in the same spot for too long, the rubber will "deform" which will give you too soft of a reading. This is where a lot of people go wrong. Don't let tech ever disqualify you without watching how they do it. Another thing, the dirt buildup on the tires after a race from pulling into the infield or riding on the cushion of the track will actually give false readings. Good thing is, the false readings in that case actually helps you because the debris forms a barrier on the surface of the tire. If tech wanted to get the most accurate reading, they would scrape the surface debris off the tire before they tested it.

Soft is 40-45, med is 50-56 with no surface work or treatments in our area. There are exceptions but that is the norm in our area. Run through water or thick mud so they must wash the tire before testing. It helps cool them down. Good luck,

Joe
    Last edited by JBV-HEADS; 01-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks thats nice to know.

Thanks guys for all the input. Our track is mandating a 55 punch on tires but do not specify when they will take that reading. I know when they come up to racing temp they will be softer but didnt know what they where at room temp. So this is to close for me to take a chance on the dq. Guess i will have to find something in the 57 to 60 range. Thanks Josh