Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Making modified racing more affordable in central ky

If you are interested in making open wheel modified racing more affordable in the central ky area be at the Ky Racers Swap Meet on saturday January 22 for a discussion about how to help the modifieds grow again in this area. Discussion will be around 3 PM.

bump !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

something needs to happen

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had really positive feed back at our meeting.Probably 90% in agreement to go with the g 60 american racer KK-704 or the Hoosier Imca tire to try and control costs and take some of the big horsepower advantage away. Now we need to talk to the promoters and tell them if you agree or disagree and try to figure out how and when to implement these cost saving steps.Thanks to all who was in attendance.

Wasnt able to make it, thanks Donnie for trying to save our sport, what if any other items were discussed?

I personally dont have a solution but i do know that when everyone went to the hard tire compound only rules before people with the big money just started soaking their tires and gained a unfair advantage. There was no policing of the tires and they got away with it. I fear that all it will do is cause the same thing to happen with no tracks that will actually spend the time to tech the tires.
    www.lightningchassis.com

Will the soaked tires still durometer what there supposed to?

Tire softeners will fail a durometer but thats not what is being used. I saw very little puching of tires going on when everyone knew it was happening anyway. Most said it took to long to tech them. If the tracks dont police it very stringently it will just happen all over again.
    www.lightningchassis.com

Tires will not fix the problem. Make everyone run a 7,500 chip in msd box check top 5 after the race the chip kills BIG motors. alot of guys are turning 8,000 or more

Myself i would like to see the g60 / kk704 tire rule put in place. That would save money on the tire bill and would also allow the racer that cant afford a big motor to be able to compete.

I dont think the chip rule is a bad rule, but a good electronics guy ( Davis technoligies,Techwest, Etc.) can redo the chips or we can change the stickers on the chip.The IMCA guys are getting rid of thier old stuuf and building new engines with bigger strokes now, and are spending more money because of the new rule.They already had a flat tappet cam rule in place that should have kept the RPM somewhat in check.I also know by using a MSD checker that chips vary 100 or 150 RPM from what they are marked ( usually less)

The tire rule is not only about the rubber compound, but also the sidewall and tread construction. The construction of the tire helps to unhook the the car even if the guys are doping the tires. Ward 66 is right, if the tracks dont check the tires to keep us honest, we will use whatever we can to get an advantage, but we cant continue down the same path or we wont have anybody to race against or any place to race. This applies to all classes, not just modifieds.Sanctioning bodies like UMP could care less about making sensible rules until they are forced to because they dont have any cars or tracks left, and then it is too late. Once the old tracks are gone,they arent going to be replaced because they cost too much to build new to ever make a profit.

I like the tire rule but if you run AMS series or larger races you will have to buy alot of tires to race. When AMS races around here what are the locals going to do about the hard tires.A's and D's will kill them hard tires. We are running AMS in 2011, And race local going to have to buy alot of tires. There is no good answer for everybody

The tire deal at the big races is something we have to work out, It would be better for the local tracks to have more cars every week than worry about the traveling series once or twice a year at their track. Maybe AMS will do like USMTS which is the most successful traveling mod series, and change their tire rule eventually and grow instead of doing like UMP and shrinking. I intend to run some AMS races but cannot run them all because of the traveling.I know that to be competitive I will have to have new tires to run the AMS and will be more able to afford them if I dont have to buy as many to run weekly shows.
    Lets keep this discussion going and get some other racers involved. If we all put our heads together we should be able to make some sensible changes.
    Last edited by HEAVY DUTY; 01-23-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Donnie, The Hoosier G60 tire I think would be better, let the tires be siped but DO NOT GROOVE the tire. IMCA told me that they are looking to go solid pull bar by 12 or maybe even mid season 11 . I think as the chip we have gone to 7800 chip and I would like to see that before the main you put all chips in a bag and have the drivers draw a chip so you do knot know whos you got and THE TRACK NEED TO TEST THEM NIGHTY!!. And for cost we should look at the shock deal. Maybe run wb shocks ? But we can not have $300-$400 per shocks on mods.

Lets not forget traction control, they will just sink their money into that as well as tire prep. I have yet to see anyone checked for traction control. I don't think tracks will put the extra effort in to police it.

I wouldn't mind the hard tires if I felt like it/we would be properly teched.
    Last edited by MOD44x; 01-23-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    NEW # 14X

I think the drawing chips before the main is a great idea, as far as traction control I remember Harold Hargrove saying at a drivers meeting a few years ago he would have an extra MSD box and he could swap for yours at anytime through out the night thought that was a good idea, we only run there 1 time so do know if it ever happened.

I think the tire deal would be good for local tracks. The only probelm is, you can't just have this going in one area (ex. richmond, lake cumberland, ponderosa) because there are not enough cars in this area to support it. UMP does need to make some needed changes but because they were started around the grassroots of local racing they are still supported by more than 3000 members. That is what makes them stand so strong, they have enough racers over a large area to support their structure!

I do agree with Donnie, we need to come up with something to save our sport!