Question Quick Metric Steering Box Question

Is the box used on the 78-88 metric cars a Saginaw 600 or 700 series box?
    Just playin' in the clay

to short of message

ok, well il word it this way.

what is the factory steering box for a 1984 chevrolet g-body.

also, what are other boxes that work/bolt up to a metric frame. Im doing away with the quickner and heard camaro boxes are quicker? which gen camaros

i appreciate the incite
    Just playin' in the clay

26000525 box with a Z cast into it is 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. That's about the quickest one I've seen. Pulled it off of a 86 grand prix v6 car.

Early 90s IROC camaro is a quicker ratio steering box.

Quote Originally Posted by buterbaughb1 View Post
    ok, well il word it this way.

what is the factory steering box for a 1984 chevrolet g-body.

also, what are other boxes that work/bolt up to a metric frame. Im doing away with the quickner and heard camaro boxes are quicker? which gen camaros

i appreciate the incite

Good luck on that in a oem box theres no certain way to id them.

What you need is a 12-1 ratio many sources sell them etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman29 View Post
    Early 90s IROC camaro is a quicker ratio steering box.
    iroc,..Z28,...monte carloSS is what you looking to get one of off,..might wanta get pump an lines all off same car so it all fit right...2nd an 3rd generation if camaro...
    Last edited by dirty white boy; 01-22-2011 at 03:23 PM.

instead of spending big money on a new box or even trying to find a use one ,

Can you use a steering quickner? cheeper than a box and easy to install

just a thought
    62 mini mod

I used a quickner last year, just didnt like the feel of it, and i junked my factory box (not from the quickner). So i made a bracket that bolts up to the same holes as the quickner. If its too much i can but the quickner right back in. Thanks for the info fellas
    Just playin' in the clay

Re: Z28 steering box

GM/Saginaw quick-ratio steering box donor car cheat sheet

Late Model 12.7:1 quick-ratio gearbox ID markings YA, WS and HX Line Thread Size: M18x1.5 and M16x1.5 Number of Mounting Holes: 3, (missing leg H-pattern) Input Shaft Diameter: ¾-inch Output Shaft Diameter: 1 ¼-inch Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 2 ½ - 3 1984-'88 Monte Carlo/Malibu with Z65 suspension 1983-'88 Malibu, El Camino 1982-'92 Camaro except FE1 soft ride suspension 1984-'87 Regal with FE2 or FE3 sport suspension 1983-'84 Hurst/Olds 1985-'87 Cutlass with 5.0 (VIN code 9) 1982-'85 Trans Am 1986-'92 Firebird except FE1 suspension 1986-'87 Grand Prix with FE2 touring or F41 heavy duty suspension

Pre-'76 12.7:1 quick-ratio gearbox Line Thread Size: 11/16 x 18 and 5/8 x 18 Number of Mounting Holes: 4, (H-pattern) Input Shaft Diameter: 13/16-inch Output Shaft Diameter: 1 ¼-inch Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 2 ½ - 3 1967-'76 Camaro, Firebird 1970-'76 Monte Carlo/Malibu 1964-'76 Chevelle

1977-'79 12.7:1 quick-ratio gearbox Line Thread Size: 11/16 x 18 and 5/8 x 18 Number of Mounting Holes: 3, (missing leg H-pattern) Input Shaft Diameter: ¾-inch Output Shaft Diameter: 1 ¼-inch Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 2 ½- 3 1977-'79 Camaro, Firebird 1977-'79 Monte Carlo, Malibu 1977-'79 Chevelle

Jeep/S-10 14.0:1 quick ratio gearbox Line Thread Size: M18x1.5 and M16x1.5 Number of Mounting Holes: 3, (missing leg H-pattern) Input Shaft Diameter: ¾-inch Output Shaft Diameter: 1 ¼-inch Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 - 3 ½ 1991-'92 Fleetwood 1992-'95 Grand Cherokee 1984-'93 Comanche 1984-'95 Cherokee/Wagoneer 1983-'86 Bonneville 1982-'93 2WD S-10 Blazer and pickup

Default Gear Box

Napa part number NSP 88277101 is a box off a 85 iroc with sport suspension it is 1 3/4 lock to lock, probably the fastest ive seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    Napa part number NSP 88277101 is a box off a 85 iroc with sport suspension it is 1 3/4 lock to lock, probably the fastest ive seen.
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50012+2012008

better check that box,..its 2 1/2 turns to 2 15/16ths.....

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50012+2012008

better check that box,..its 2 1/2 turns to 2 15/16ths.....
    I was going to enlighten the above poster to the fact that when you go to ANY parts store, junk yard etc.

And ask for a gm p.s box off a 16" wheel Iroc which comes from the factory with a quicker box... They all REPLACE it with ANY ratio box that will fit...... Which generally is a 14-1 much more common box.

I have been to all the parts stores and went thru all of this years ago and even got a few that swore they could get the right box after ordering in 4 and all of them being 2.5 turns they gave up.

BUT hey maybe youll get lucky once in a while and get a actual direct replacement!!!

Default Sorry

Actually realized that I counted after on the the car with quickner, the napa part is a correct part number for a faster box I know this because I work there and recently ordered and placed one on my pierce car, which is a metric clip car and it was faster than the used "z" box that was on before.

Actually realized that I counted after on the the car with quickner, the napa part is a correct part number for a faster box I know this because I work there and recently ordered and placed one on my pierce car, which is a metric clip car and it was faster than the used "z" box that was on before.
    You probably didnt have the Z box. There is no way to id one that I know about other than counting turns. The casting number on them that ends in 7 or 2 is supposed to designate, but I trusted that for years and two years ago realized my two cars were steering different because that box comes as slow as 3.25...

I also worked for Napa, Super Shops, California Auto and managed a Ford parts department in the past, lol. Trying to get specific parts isnt easy.

That said Harris and I believe Jr motorsports sell a 12-1 box now for 199 or so.

jj

all i was sayin if you go to napa's web site an look up the part number you gave that napa advertizing that box as a 2 1/2 lock to lock,..not 1 3/4 as you stated,...check out the link i posted above on your napa number box!!!

SHOPPING ONLINE
    PARTS SHIPPED
    SELECT A STORE

MY VEHICLE:
    1985 Chevrolet Camaro
    CHANGE VEHICLE CLEAR VEHICLE

SEARCH:
    Examples Advanced Search

QUICK LINKS:

* FIND A REPAIR CENTER
    * FIND A COLLISION CENTER
    * FIND A TRUCK CENTER
    * NAPA CAREERS
    * NAPA REBATES
    * DO-IT-YOURSELF: E-AUTO REPAIR/MITCHELL 1

* CREATE ACCOUNT

Shop NAPAONLINE

Qty

P/S Gear Box
    Product Line: NAPA Power Steering Pumps
    Part Number: NSP 88277101
    Price:
    Price
    Core
    Unit
    :
    :
    :
    Each
    Features & Benefits Cool Dip Finish. Rust Inhibitive Penetrating Dye Allows For Complete Coverage Of Exposed Surfaces. This Finish Will Not Crack, Flake Or Peel.; 100% New O-rings And Lip Seals. Ensures No Leaking And Quality Performance.; 100% Hydraulic Tested. Guaranteed Performance Every Time.
    Warranty Limited Lifetime, Replacement Will Be Issued for Unit that Proves Defective During Normal Use on the Vehicle on Which It Was Originally Installed. Extended Only to the Owner of the Vehicle on Which the Unit is Installed-Not Transferable.
    Warranty PDF
    Attributes # Steering gear Box Mounting Holes : 3
    # Steering Gear Box Turns : 2 1/2 - 2 15/16<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<look here!!!!!
    Power Steering Gear Box Line Thread Size : M18 X 1.5; M16 X 1.5
    Steering Gear Box Input Shaft Diameter : 3/4"
    Steering Gear Box Output Shaft Diameter : 1 1/4"
    Material Safety Data Sheet There is no MSDS for this item
    Application Information: 1985 Chevrolet Camaro
    Submodel : Z28
    Per Car Qty: 1

Submodel : IROC
    Comments: w/ Sport Suspension (FE3);Option Codes are Located on the "GM Service Parts Identification" Sticker

Submodel : Berlinetta
    Comments: w/ Sport Suspension (FE3);Option Codes are Located on the "GM Service Parts Identification" Sticker

Submodel : Base
    Last edited by dirty white boy; 01-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.

qiuckners can be tought to get use to for some guys and others pic it up right away

the only down side we had with them was the coupel times we thrown a belt makes it 2 times harder to turn without powersteering.

anyways i hope you find a box you like and dont be afraid of the quickner you said you ran it last season just wait till you go back to the stock box you may just want to put it back in once you get outh there just becasue you ran it a hole season and got use to it :P
    62 mini mod