Thread: cage placement

Default cage placement

how far back on a metric frame can you go? rules do not say anything about it. And would you go with a perimiter frame? or an offset frame?

As far back as you can imo. We found an older car for my son to start in last year camaro clip square tube middle metric rear rails 3 link in rear. We have a hard time getting enough rear percentage with out being over wgt car must weigh 2900 with driver there is talk of cutting wgt down to 2800 this year cage is set foward and this kills us as far as getting rear perentage . Keep in mind car was a Monte Carlo in its heyday and now cage has been cut down so now it wears a latemodel type body my son is 6 ft 2 and he is really cramped in car also because of cage being foward. If rules do not give a measurement then it is not a rule imo use it to your advantage if you do not you can bet the competion will.
    Last edited by RW57; 01-23-2011 at 11:15 AM.

i thought about this too but our cars were getting rediculess with where the cages were getting setback to. our new rules say the driver seat must be in front of or even with stock front doors rear plane. so seat must be pritty much in stock location.
    the most peacefull time is sitting in the staging lane strapped in helment on and waiting for the green light to move on track.

well right now i have a bare metric frame. I dont have a rear end yet so i really have no idea how far back to set cage before i start running into clearance issues with the LR tire.

i don't know how the main cage would get into the rear tires but there is a body mount hole on the frame that most put the main cage in. you can go farther back but the frame starts to turn in after that piont and the main cage starts getting too narrow. you can move it behind that hole about 3 or 4 inches with out any problems.

Our rear hoop sits at the hole where you would put the bolt in for the rear lower control arms. Not sure what the rear % is right now but I know it wasn't an issue when we had it on scales. Also, plenty of clearance.

the further back the better..mines too far forward and its a HEADACHE and a ton of lead to get your percentages. My rear hoop is placed right before the frame kicks in.
    Just playin' in the clay

i have seen a guy use that body mounting hole, they put a peice of 1.5 in the hole, then 1.75 over the top, but it just seemed that it was to far forward. I realize that the frame turns in, I dont see that as an issue with a little creative engineering. thanx for all of the responses guys.

thanx bush thats exactly what i was looking for, do you have a driver side shot?

nope, however it is sitting in the garage bare, i will try to get a couple more pics this week

ive seen guys start with a old modified and just reclip the back with the stock ralis upto the rearend like bush car has

id also loo kat sports mod photos most of them have to have the same idea see how there getting there cage back so far
    62 mini mod

some sports mods

lots more at
    http://www.sportmods.net
    62 mini mod