Question Electric fan on SS?

Considering using an electric fan on my SS, I use one in my mustang mini with no cooling problems. Any advice on pulley size, restriction, water pump, a good fan type, etc.

383 engine (approx. 12.5-1 comp.), currently has 1-1 pulleys, hi-flo alum. water pump, 31" afco dual pass rad.
    I plan on opening up the nosepeice & making an air scoop at the bottom of rad., same as my mini. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cool

back when i ran electric fans I ran two..1 to 1 pullys ... i had 2 switches so i could turn off one if i need to like on cold nites..the only prob i ran into was if you had to sit in line for a bit or very long races the battery was weak.. I started runn a alt and never had a prob after that..sence then i always run a alt jus for peace of mind .. I run my alt off the rear end so the if the belt comes off it wont take out my water pump or power steering..

where can you run electric fan? by our rules there illeagl
    the most peacefull time is sitting in the staging lane strapped in helment on and waiting for the green light to move on track.

worked great for me on pavement.

I tried to no avail to get it to work on my dirt car. I would run a 4 blade gm type fan.

The hp loss from the mechanical fan isnt going to be enough to warrant cooking motors trying to get electric to work.

I dnf every race even heat races when I was trying to run electric. I pulled off at 220-240.

Thanks for the advice, was just wondering if it had been tried with any success. And I was having trouble with fan/shroud/radiator lining up right in the car. Got it figured out w/ mech. fan.

I run an electric fan and a 19"afco 4 blade mechanical. The electric to cool the car after the race while idleing through the pits. I also run an alternator, if you do not run an alternator your car is not running to its full potential unless you have a 16v battery. It takes 14 volts to properly operate an hei coil. Also stock car driver.. why would you pull off at 220 degrees, if your running a good racing radiator cap 28-30lbs the water wont even boil until it hits around 240.. with the proper cooling set up and good oil, its safe to race a small block to 230 degrees, as long as you cool it before shutting it down.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmischke View Post
    I run an electric fan and a 19"afco 4 blade mechanical. The electric to cool the car after the race while idleing through the pits. I also run an alternator, if you do not run an alternator your car is not running to its full potential unless you have a 16v battery. It takes 14 volts to properly operate an hei coil. Also stock car driver.. why would you pull off at 220 degrees, if your running a good racing radiator cap 28-30lbs the water wont even boil until it hits around 240.. with the proper cooling set up and good oil, its safe to race a small block to 230 degrees, as long as you cool it before shutting it down.
    To each his own.

It was 2004 even then when I knew it wasnt going to work I was willing to accept it and pull off.

I dont cool my motors before shutting down, I dont race them hot. 210 is down more hp than you can win without in my area.