Thread: v belts

Default v belts

How can a racer measure pulleys to obtain proper belt length? we are using v belt pulleys. One around w.p. to crank and another around crank, p.s., and w.p.Our previous setup was 30% reduction. We have a new w.p. pulley coming which will put us at 12% reduction and there is not a kit for this. I was thinking maybe a flat vinyl tape around the pulleys,as ive read the v belts need to be flush with the pulleys or sitting a little out of the v in the pulley. This is so the belts dont hit the bottom ot the pulley at rpm.

Tape and string

Yeah we use string as well. I try and find a string or rope that fits in the bottom of the pulley, my alternator has a small landing in the bottom of the pulley. Then they just use that belt measuring tool they have and the rope fits in there just like on the motor.

I get my belts at the local parts store. BS with them a little about the racecar and they usually never have a problem with me buying a few sizes and bringing back the ones I don't need.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.