Default Oil pump pickup question

Ok here's the deal.

In the final stages of a rebuild and I have a Melling M55HV pump that was in my old motor when it blew up. That pump is high pressure, high volume. I never had an issue with pressure, but needed a new one after the blow up.

I bought a M155HV pump which is standard pressure high volume. I did not realize that the pick up tube on the new pump is a 3/4", and my old pick up does not fit.

I can not use the old pump because the gears are all pitted.

Can I use the pump cover from the old H/P-H/V pump on the new S/P-H/V pump? The covers appear to be identical, and the old one is in nice shape.

The off season budget is planned out to the nickel right now and a new 3/4" pick up costs more than the pump did. The money just isn't there. If I have no options I will will order a new pump, but I am avoiding that if I can. I believe the only difference is the spring, stiffer spring in the older High Pressure pump. Couldn't I just swap springs?
    Last edited by joedoozer; 01-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

From what I understand of oil pumps is taller gears means more volume, and stiffer spring means more pressure. It appears only the spring is the difference in the covers. I really hope I don't get a "thumbs down" on this......haha I would hate to take the pan back off.
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

If you want to use that pump buy a pick up for it.

If you really cant afford a pick up then I guess buy the old style pump and return that pump.

I run the old style pumps but only a m55a which is high pressure. Theres plenty of volume at the rpm we see.

I'll just call Melling and ask them.

make sure you clean the relief valve and check for burrs, or sticking. I would get the 3/4" pickup myself
    Josh K.

Talked to Melling today, the only difference in the covers are the pick up tube size.

Quote Originally Posted by joedoozer View Post
    Talked to Melling today, the only difference in the covers are the pick up tube size.
    did they tell you why they used a larger pick up on the newer style pump or say wow youve got a great idea there well send you a check. we never thought about taking our new better pump and choking it down with a smaller pick up than we designed it for....

He said the only difference between the pumps is the pick up tube size. I told him what I was doing and he agreed that it doesn't make any difference. I posted the response for future reference, if anyone searches for something like this.