Thread: alky setup

Default alky setup

i am new to mod racing and i am going to be feeding a 500+hp 355 (i know it aint much but is is my first year racing ever and the way the track slicks over around here i should be fine) it will be running on alky but im not familar with the setup i know hose comes out of tank then thru a filter but do i need a regulator b4 or after the fuel pump or not one at all thanks for any answers

Put the regulator between the pump and carb.

I think it depends on your total set up and pump your using. We run a fuel log attached to the carburator and the regulator on the back of it with a return line to the tank. If you get on Barry Grant carb web site they have different diagrams on plumbing and uses we have been using there carbs and tech support for 12 yrs and never had any problems.

Besure to learn as much as possible about the fuel system and tuning to keep from burning the motor down, and I would STRONGLY suggest running a fuel pressure gauge visible and easy to read in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit. Don't be afraid to ask locals questions or to take a look and make sure you got it right.
    Josh K.

Listen to these guys and do a lot more homework on this subject. We ran a mech. pump with a throttle bypass from c&s.I agree with the gauge mounted to be very visible by the driver. we ran 16 psi pump and idled 1-3 psi with the said bypass. Most will tell you to go belt drive. Good luck and be very cautious.

^ Like Willy...i prefer putting a by pass regulator after the carb.Get one that uses a Holley jet in it so when the engine idles down fuel will flow thru the jet so it won't build up a lot of pressure idleing and by-passing the rings when they're not force sealed..A lot better chance of not restricting flow to the engine at high rpm's with this set-up.
    Last edited by runyou-2; 01-24-2011 at 05:58 PM.